2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Script errors reported when running IE 11 under Windows 10

I recently upgraded my system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I do not like The Edge very much, so I made IE 11 my default browser. Now, whenever I move to a new page, a small window opens reporting a script error and offering me the alternatives of Yes (continue) or No (abort move to page). This process occurs exactly 10 times when moving to a new page, or 6 times when moving back to the previous page. After that, I can scroll around the page as one normally does.

I attach a screen shot of the first error (the file with all of the shots is too large). The other messages are:

'BuildAdSlot' is undefined.
    Object doesn't support property or method 'r'. 2 times
    'buildTTextAd' is undefined. 2 times
    'adSlot is undefined. 3 times
    script error (reportedly in http/connect.facebook.net/en.all js)

The process works, provided that I am prepared to sit there and press the Yes button a hundred times! Can any of you very experienced people out there help retrieve my irritation ??
    Attached Files Attached Files

jwoods
    Script errors are a problem with the website.

Set your configurations as in the red outline in the screenshot...

IE Options Advanced.jpg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

jim_from_oz (2015-12-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your prompt reply, jwoods. I brought up the Advanced page in Internet Options, ticked the two options to turn off script debugging, then restarted. After the restart, I went back to the Advanced page and checked that the boxes were still ticked, which shows that the changes had been accepted. Curiously, I noted that another box, to send a notification every time a script error was noted was NOT checked, which makes me wonder why I was getting the messages in the first place! Sadly, your advice was ineffective, as the messages still appear. I posted my problem under Windows 10, because IE11 works perfectly under Windows 7, my previous operating system. I quite like the Windows 10 conceptually, but when push comes to shove, I badly need a functioning PC and I am really nervous about possible consequences of going back to Windows7 (or 8). Perhaps I should take this matter to a Microsoft forum.

jwoods
    You may have to reset IE to its default settings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_from_oz View Post
    ...I badly need a functioning PC and I am really nervous about possible consequences of going back to Windows7 (or 8)...
    If resetting IE11 doesn't help you could try Mozilla Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This solution was going to be my next port of call. The only reason I use IE is that I have it on my computer since it first came out, and my fingers know where to go without consulting me! However, because I do a bit of website development and maintenance, I have copies of Firefox, Chrome, something called Chromodo, which seems to be a spin-off from Chrome and of course, now The Edge. I have tried Firefox (my second favourite) and it works perfectly (at least for Windows Secrets). So thank you, Coochin for a suggestion which might just have been meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but happens to be right on the button!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sounds like you had some add-in running in IE. Did you try running IE with add-ins disabled?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have disabled all of the ad-ons except those for Google bar and Epson Easy Photoprint (my printer is an Epson printer-cum-scanner and I search a lot on the Internet - as do we all!). Nothing made any difference. There is a lot of chat in various sites about the relationship between IE11 and Windows 10. One thing pointed out is that IE11 is downloaded with Windows 10, so the IE11 I am playing with may not be the version I was playing with on Windows 7. I will investigate and report.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I returned my copy of IE 11 to its default settings and lo and behold - those pesky notifications disappeared. As time permits (and if I can remember what my setting changes were!), I will reintroduce the changes one at a time to try and find out which one caused the problem in the first place. If I get any meaningful results, I will report them. Meanwhile, many thanks to all the clever people who responded to my inquiry.