New Lounger
    Thanks

System restore and Task Scheduler

I have the current (12/13/15) windows 10 build installed ( Build 10586.29; Version 1511). this is a newly installed windows 10 which came installed with my computer and is fully updated.
    1. I can create system restore points manually using the System restore application
    2. They do not seem to be created automatically prior to driver installations or windows updates or are not being listed.
    3. I modified the SR task in the task scheduler to run daily. The task history indicates that the task is running daily and creating a system restore point. I can also run this task and it completes successfully. However when I use the system restore application in Explorer these restore points are not listed.. The storage increased over the past week from <1GB to 10GB. I have 18GB set up (2%). It appears that the restore point are being created but are not being listed as available even with "Show more restore points" checked. Bottom line is that these system restore point are unavailable for a future restore.

Thanks
    As to #1 & #2, my build 10240 is the same.

jwoods
    You might go through the steps in this Windows Club article...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system...orking-windows

Thanks
    @jwoods
    I guess I should have been a bit more descriptive. On 10240, I can make manual restore points and any HP updates trigger a restore point, BUT, any win 10 updates do not trigger a restore point.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    @jwoods
    I guess I should have been a bit more descriptive. On 10240, I can make manual restore points and any HP updates trigger a restore point, BUT, any win 10 updates do not trigger a restore point.

Interesting. when I first installed my system last week several restore points were made for the windows updates; these later disappeared!

I deleted all restore points, turned system protection off and then back on. Nothing changed. I can still manually create restore points. the task scheduler runs automatically (or I run the task manually). The task schedular history indicates that the restore points are made but they do not show up in the list of restore points - only the ones I create manually thru the application. Strange!

jwoods
    If you've gone through the steps in the link provided in post #3, and you continue to have issues, you might consider doing a "refesh", or a repair with an in-place upgrade.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-14 at 20:45.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for being so helpful, Jwoods. I am reluctant to refresh/restore Windows 10 as I see other people on various forums with the same complaints about system restore. In fact I set up the same hardware/software for my wife last week also and her computer displays the same symptoms. I think that this is a bug in Windows 10 system restore. the bug seems to be that restore points are not added to the list (and therefore not available) unless they are created manually in the restore application. I noticed today that each time I installed an update that the amount of space in use for system restore increased. The listing is just not being updated.

jwoods
    Totally understand.

A refresh and in-place upgrade does not affect your personal data.

Out of curiosity, if you don't already have it, download a copy of Piriform's CCleaner.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Run it, select Tools, and System Restore.

See how many restore points it finds.

Thanks
    I have CCleaner and looked at Tools/System restore. There are 3 entry's, 1- 11/8/15 Scheduled, 2- 12/7/15 Scheduled, 3- 12/8/15 ( the one I made before installing the regular scheduled WU patches ).
    Evidently my system has a System Restore task to run once monthly but it does not make a restore point when installing the updates like win 7 does. Again, this is still on 10240 not upgraded yet to 1511.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I have CCleaner and looked at Tools/System restore. There are 3 entry's, 1- 11/8/15 Scheduled, 2- 12/7/15 Scheduled, 3- 12/8/15 ( the one I made before installing the regular scheduled WU patches ).
    Evidently my system has a System Restore task to run once monthly but it does not make a restore point when installing the updates like win 7 does. Again, this is still on 10240 not upgraded yet to 1511.
    CC Cleaner shows only the one task I created yesterday after discarding/disable/enabling System Protection.
    The amount of space used continues to increase by 500-750MB each morning (after my scheduled SR task runs)

jwoods
    You might try the following...

1. Manually create a System Restore point.

2. In an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt, copy and paste these three commands (one at a time) and press ENTER...

-Option to enable System Restore Points (maybe restore old behaviour of creating automatic restore points)

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients" /v " {09F7EDC5-294E-4180-AF6A-FB0E6A0E9513}" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "1" /f

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=10GB

schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" /Enable

3. Reboot.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-15 at 17:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=jwoods;1036188]You might try the following...

thanks again. Here is what happened.

Prior to the reg update, SPP/Clients contained: \\?\Volume(70edobce- ...87d4)\;OS (C%3A)
    After running all three cmds, SPP/Clients contained: 1
    At that point I created a manual restore point and also manually ran the SR task. Both restore points are now listed.
    Current usage started at 15MB and slowly increased to 65MB (this should be >1GB)

I then restarted the system:
    After restart, SPP/Clients contained: \\?\Volume(70edobce- ...87d4)\;OS (C%3A) ... ???
    Current usage is now up to 90MB.
    Manually created 3rd restore point: All three restore points now appear including the one I created by running the SR task. Usage is now up to 123MB and still increasing.

Still not sure what is happening but at least I seem to have multiple restore points. Why the storrage used is so very low is a mystery to me.
    I will monitor over the next few days to see what is going on.

thanks again for all your help.

jwoods
    I have System Protection set to Restore system settings and previous versions of files, and my current usage is 236 MB.

It's not unusual if you have only created a small number of restore points.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick: Have you found a satisfactory resolution? I am using a clean install of Win 10, and have notice a similar problem ever since I upgraded (last October). I am using less than 10% of the disk space reserved for restore points, yet periodically I lose some of my older restore points. They just are not there any more. Like you, I have the definite feeling, intuition, sense, hunch (call it what you will) that this is a problem with Win 10 that has yet to be solved. I would love it if someone has found an interim workaround - e.g., a third party program that creates and stores system restore points or something substantially similar (I already use TrueImage and EaseUS ToDo backup as alternative fall backs). Duncan