Thread: SSD C: Drive

New Lounger

SSD C: Drive

My new computer has a boot SSD C: and data HHD D: Will Win 10 system image create an image of the SSD and then restore it to the SSD? Thanks. --Mike

5 Star Lounger
    There are so many gotchas with Windows native backup utilities. I have helped quite a few people who thought they had a good, usable backup but, for one reason or another, it wouldn't restore in the precise circumstance they had. That is so frustrating !

Until Microsoft change the fundamental ideas behind their utility I would always recommend one of the many good 3rd party utilities for this important task.

I happen to use Acronis which is paid-for but excellent. It has never failed to deliver what I wanted, be it restoring single files, a whole partition or cloning a disk. There are other excellent paid-for utilities and I've seen posts in this forum recommending some of the good free ones such as Macrium Reflect, but I can only speak from my own experience.

Silver Lounger
    Good morning Martin.

I too use Acronis, paid for, and I should say that I abuse it. Lately, I had noticed that my C:\ had three extra partitions on it, blanks. Whence they came, I ignore. I wanted to merge them to the C:\partiton but you know how long it takes to merge some partitions and then hope to not lose the whole device. I remembered that Acronis does not move empty partitions, space on the HD, so I deleted them and let them be . . no format.

I then cloned the machine to a USB device, I had a look at it ( Gparted ) and it was one ( 1 ) partition, the other three were gone. I then cloned it back to the C:\ and voilà ! It was a single partition on my machine. A FWIW for sure.

I can not see why others do images, not clones. Granted, you can have many images on the one destination, I only want a single twin, the rest is history.

All best wishes. Jean.

WS Lounge VIP
    Macrium Reflect Free will also backup and restore your PC correctly, as will EaseUS ToDo, Aomei Backupper or Paragon Backup - all have free versions.

cheers, Paul