Lounger
    Thanks

Plug in second drive so it becomes boot disk?

I copied my Win 7 disk onto another HDD. Then unplugged the original drive and upgraded the second drive to Win 10. Booted up Win 10 and it works fine. I then plugged that drive into the SATA 0 slot where the original drive was and all works fine with Win 10. Then I plugged the original Win 7 drive into SATA 1 slot and it becomes the boot (C) drive and the Win 10 drive becomes the second (D) drive.

I want the Win 10 drive to be the boot drive and the Win 7 drive to become the second (D) drive but every time I plug the Win 7 disk into the mother board it becomes the boot drive.

What am I doing wrong? I want to keep the Win 7 OS on the drive for awhile but want to use the drive for backups and extra storage as drive D.

Fred

Thanks
    The first thing to check would be the boot order in Bios/Uefi. While in post (just the beginning of boot) a key press can generally get one there. ESC, F9, DEL or others depending on your motherboard. Can be under different heading depending on M/B again, consult your manual.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As wavy says, your mobo is picking up the W7 disk as the boot drive and you have to tell the mobo not to do that via the boot order settings.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    At first thought, just reverse the way you have the two drives plugged into the mobo, and see if the Win-7 drive still boots the PC.

Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I changed the boot order in BIOS and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks for all your help.
    Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to conveniently switch between systems, I recommend the free EasyBCD, which has recently been updated to version 2.3.

It is usually used for dual-boot configurations, but if you install it on both you can set it to bypass the other completely until you set it to start from the other.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

Fyrewerx (2016-01-02)