Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get updates to download and install in Windows 7

I'm tasked with taking care of my Mom's computer and one of those things is doing the MS updates monthly. For the past couple of months, I've had a great deal of trouble getting the updates just to download - never mind installing!
    I religiously read and follow Susan Bradley's Patch Watch column, so I feel confident that I'm trying to install the good ones and avoiding and/or "hiding" the bad ones! We're not interested in upgrading to Windows 10 and have managed to avoid all of the Windows 10 upgrade notices - so at least I'm not having an issue with that!

Last month I did manage to get 4 or 5 updates installed, but it took FOREVER. Today I sat with her computer for well over an hour and tried to download and install 4 updates, doing them one at a time, and couldn't get a single one to work. I know about right clicking on the "software distribution" folder and noting the size and if it is increasing you at least know that something is downloading. Nothing changed size-wise in that folder today. I'm wondering if I could go to Microsoft directly and download these updates from there directly to her computer? Is that a work-around that I should consider?

I'm at the point that I don't know what else to try and I guess I'll have to take the computer to the local repair shop to have someone look at it if I can't figure it out! If you've got any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I neglected to mention in my original post that I have tried running Microsoft's "Fix It" program and it didn't do a thing. It seemed to run, but didn't say it had found any problems or corrected anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamKoryn View Post
    I'm wondering if I could go to Microsoft directly and download these updates from there directly to her computer? Is that a work-around that I should consider?

I'm at the point that I don't know what else to try and I guess I'll have to take the computer to the local repair shop to have someone look at it if I can't figure it out! If you've got any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!
    If all else fails:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/913086Updates on ISO.
    but try these first from this forum IIRC:
    1. Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator).

2. Type: cd %windir% and press enter.

3. Type: net stop wuauserv and press enter.

4. Type: ren softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old and press enter.

5. Type: net start wuauserv and press enter.

6. Type: Exit and press enter.

7. Try installing the updates once again.

Any updates that you have previously hidden will need to be hidden again.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) and do the following:

1. Type: cd %windir% and press enter.

2. Type: net stop wuauserv and press enter.

3. Type: net stop cryptsvc and press enter.

4. Type: net stop bits and press enter.

5. Type: net stop msiserver and press enter.

6. Type: ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and press enter.

7. Type: cd %windir%/system32 and press enter.

8. Type: ren catroot2 Catroot2.old and press enter.

9. Type: net start wuauserv and press enter.

10. Type: net start cryptsvc and press enter.

11. Type: net start bits and press enter.

12. Type: net start msiserver and press enter.
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-12-14 at 15:24. Reason: Repair options
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

PamKoryn (2015-12-15)

Thanks
    If you know what updates you need/want, you can go here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx and download them. Make sure you are using IE and know the bittidness of your OS.
    I haven't been there in awhile so hopefully they haven't taken it down.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

PamKoryn (2015-12-15)

Thanks

WSUS Offline Update

This is from a post from jwoods to a thread I started.You can download updates using this freeware tool WSUS Offline Update. http://download.wsusoffline.net/..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KIWIpeteW For This Useful Post:

PamKoryn (2015-12-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the 3 great options offered. Will give them a go and see if I'm successful!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to say it but for elderly PC users--unless you live with them--it is easier to autoupdate everything. It may not be the best, but updates don't screw things up often as much as manually installing them does if you spend your first hour or so there just waiting for downloads.

Also, elderly often have the least expensive (read slowest) ISP connections: I used to bring updates over on a flash drive before I finally acquiesced to the obvious and set everything on autoupdate. Oldest PCs (read slowest due to low memory and old HDD).

Might try updating the Ethernet driver while you are at it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    I hate to say it but for elderly PC users--unless you live with them--it is easier to autoupdate everything. It may not be the best, but updates don't screw things up often as much as manually installing them does if you spend your first hour or so there just waiting for downloads.

Also, elderly often have the least expensive (read slowest) ISP connections: I used to bring updates over on a flash drive before I finally acquiesced to the obvious and set everything on autoupdate. Oldest PCs (read slowest due to low memory and old HDD).

Might try updating the Ethernet driver while you are at it.
    Unfortunately I can see mom having a heart attack when win 10 showed up on her computer ( especially with some of the complications that come with it ) and she didn't know what happened after auto updates were turned on. God Bless PamKoryn for helping her mother out with win 7.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

PamKoryn (2015-12-19)

jwoods
    +1

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Download the applicable System Update Readiness Tool to see what that reports.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...readiness-tool

The download is 538MB and then it has to install.

When it says it has completed, go C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and double click on the Checksur log which will open in Notepad.

If it reports issues, can you copy and paste to the forum ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    As an update to my original post----I went back to try again to get the updates to install and this time they downloaded and installed in a manner of minutes! I sure don't understand it but am glad that it worked finally! I guess I'll just have to see how the next round of updates wants to behave!! Thank you all for your thoughtful input.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It may have just been busy servers but I had similar problems this month on one of my Win 7 laptops which I've never experienced before.

It took a while before they started downloading and took over 2 hours to install 18 updates.

Reliability history may have recorded something for your first attempt.