New Lounger
    Thanks

SysWOW64 is 15Gb

My Windows C drive seems very large to me (25 Gb), especially considering I do not have that many programs installed.

I searched through the Windows folder and found that folder SysWOW64 is 15Gb.

I used Disk Clean-up but it has only made minimal difference to the size of the drive.

Downloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures etc are all on a separate partition.

64 bit Windows 10 Pro + all current updates.

Can anyone please let me know what the SysWOW64 folder is and whether/how it can be reduced in size.

jwoods
    The SYSWOW64 folder contains files that maintain 32-bit compatibility on 64-bit systems.

You might look in SYSWOW64/Config/RegBack, which contains backups of the registry.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See this thread Program-recommendations-to-find-out-what-s-taking-up-my-hard-drive-space? for some tools you can use to examine your disk and see what is really using the space.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.
    My SYSWOW64/Config/RegBack is empty.
    I did however run CCleaner and found hiberfil.sys contains 2,381,700 KB
    Pagefile 983,040 KB
    6549f.msp 646,523 KB
    Can these three files be cleaned or deleted.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hiberfil.sys is needed for Hibernation to work correctly. Don't delete it "manually" but if you disable hibernation it will disappear.

The pagefile is needed for your PC's correct operation. I rather think you won't be able to delete it, but anyway don't ! It is possible to change the size of the pagefile but the size that Windows chooses is usually around about right. I would leave it alone unless you have a pressing reason to change it..

I have no idea what 6549.msp is.

If I may say, you seem to be straying into dangerous territory even to be thinking about deleting system files, and I am wondering what is your motivation since you - sensibly - keep your own files on another partition ?
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-12-15 at 05:27.

Thanks
    *.msp would be a Windows Installer patch.

You might want to read up on a program that will help move (or remove) any orphaned installer patches but I doubt whether you would have more than a few tens of MBs of space freed, W10 isn't likely to have too many orphaned patches yet.

See Ghacks and study the discussion.

What is the size of your C partition/drive? Is it a drive or a partition, HDD or SSD?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    *.msp would be a Windows Installer patch.

You might want to read up on a program that will help move (or remove) any orphaned installer patches but I doubt whether you would have more than a few tens of MBs of space freed, W10 isn't likely to have too many orphaned patches yet.

See Ghacks and study the discussion.

What is the size of your C partition/drive? Is it a drive or a partition, HDD or SSD?
    Thanks for the replies.
    My C drive is a partition of 88Gb which has 63 Gb free space. It is a HDD.
    What brought this to my attention was making a disk image, I notice how large the partition seemed to have increased to.
    Regards

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    R.S.,

It would seem that 15Gb is a bit excessive as my Win 8.1 Pro system shows only 1.3Gb for SysWOW64!
    syswow.JPG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Could be hard links pointing elsewhere that are being counted? NTFSLinksView should detect these if they are present.

Otherwise you might be looking at the result of some errant backup software? Which folders within SysWOW64 are the largest (use one of the tools from #3 to find out)?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    R.S.,

It would seem that 15Gb is a bit excessive as my Win 8.1 Pro system shows only 1.3Gb for SysWOW64!
    syswow.JPG

HTH
    Mine on Win 10 is 1.4Gb

Incidentally,there is a later version of Getfolderize:- version 3.0.8 released October 6 2015, including a portable version.