5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy Entire DVD to HDD

I'm in the process of setting up a movie library on my network. I've copied old VHS tapes over (crummy but many aren't available on DVD) and have been using Handbrake to copy movies from DVDs (that I own if anyone is interested).

This weekend at a holiday party, someone mentioned he was using a software program that would copy and compress the whole DVD, menus, special features, and all to a HDD so it was just like you had the whole DVD on the HDD. But it was a party and it was loud and there was alcohol involved and he wasn't clear about what he was using or I wasn't clear about what he said.

Anyhoo, is anyone familiar with what he might have been talking about and how (well) it works?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does DVD Shrink work on it's own or does it need other software? Trying to search for details only seems to get me a list of 50 sites where I can download it.

Scratch that. I searched on dvdshrink vs handbrake and am finding detailed comparisons.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-12-15 at 15:37.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Be nice if you would share your research for the rest of us.;-)
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not getting very far because other things are getting in my way. One confusing issue is that most of the full DVD copy programs are intended to shrink a full size DVD down to a size that will fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD as opposed to making a HDD copy.

I have found that Handbrake will copy some DVD's but not others. Must have to do with the copy protection.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're of a mind, look up DVD Decrypter, an ancient program long since mothballed, it can make exact copies of the entire DVD in the form of an ISO. They won't be shrunk or anything but quality already suffers on any content longer than 1 hour on a commercial DVD anyway so why reduce it further? If one just wants to pull out the pertinent bits, that's not an issue either. This should only be done on DVDs that do not contain copy protection as it is violation of law in the U.S. to break said copy protection...'r something like that. Otherwise ImgBurn will pull a pearfict ISO image from a DVD as well.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Otherwise ImgBurn will pull a pearfict ISO image from a DVD as well.
    Use caution with ImgBurn. Unless it's been changed in the last week or so your Antivirus or Antimalware program may complain that it finds problems with in it. Mine kept deleting the downloads so I gave up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Not getting very far because other things are getting in my way. One confusing issue is that most of the full DVD copy programs are intended to shrink a full size DVD down to a size that will fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD as opposed to making a HDD copy.

I have found that Handbrake will copy some DVD's but not others. Must have to do with the copy protection.
    But that is not a bad thing, I believe most of what is removed is foreign language support.
    The DVD Decrypter program I mentioned maybe needed for some DVDs. I have only failed on 1 or 2 Sony disks IIRC.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before I get into forbidden territory, let me start by saying that I'm not talking here about ripping DVD's to give to Uncle Ted for Christmas or building a library to sell or distribute. If I am still breaking any rules then by all means tell me and I'll redact anything in the following post that offends.

Encryption and copy protection of copyrighted media is a tricky area, both technologically and legally. The music industry has waged the biggest battle and seems to have accepted the rulings of different courts that allow an owner to make a digital copy for their own use. I'm not sure that the DVD makers have fully accepted that yet, but some of the old copy protection has disappeared and some copy programs seem to be OK to have, at least in the US.

Macrovision (now Rovi) forced DVD Decrypter and possibly others to stop distribution. There is a program now called ImgBurn from the same author (I think), but it won't remove copy protection.

As I research this, I'm finding references to a whole string of different software programs. Some freeware, some adware, some paid. There is a program called AnyDVD which apparently bypasses copy protection, but I don't know that much about it. I have seen some complicated posts in other forums that talk about using an anti-copy protection to copy the [VIDEO_TS] directory to disk and then a variety of other programs can rip the files. More research is needed.

<going off topic>
    AFAIK, every type of copy protection ever created has been defeated by someone. More money has probably been spent on this and the associated lawsuits than on improving the technology. Many, many years ago, software disks for the early Apple ][ computers was expensive and was being copied and traded. A copy protection battle ensued that just pushed the software costs up higher.

A company named Beagle Brothers got tired of this and removed all copy protection from their popular utility software and dropped the price. Sales went up dramatically. People would buy their disks in support of the decision rather than copy them from someone else. I owned several of their products and to this day it is some of the best $$ I ever spent.
    <off soapbox>
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    IIRC it is OK to make a backup but breaking Encryption to do so violates The Digital Millennium Copyright Act. See https://www.eff.org/files/dmcaunintended10.pdf
    One of our worst treaties IMHO, hopefully we can avoid the new one they are trying to shove down our throats, or did that already pass?

David

Thanks
    I've used WinX, from Digiarty, paid-for versions. I kept one set of "originals" and one set of "updateds," sometimes one does better than the other. Converting a movie DVD into an mp4 is not a given, depends upon the DVD in question.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/