New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Are Windows 10 Updates Evil?

I thought that I might want to get the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and accepted the reservation. The result has been anything but pleasant! Firstly windows updates started to fail and system restore points started getting erased entirely. Then windows updates started to crash the system, resulting in lots of disk errors which were corrected by chkdsk. Since sfc and the other Microsoft Update tool were not able to repair all of the corrupted system files that were found, I was forced to do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows 7 and re-update numerous times to get back Internet Explorer 11. I subsequently took the WS suggestion to install GWX Control Panel and used all of its features, but with the monitor turned on, it reveals that Windows 10 changes are still being implemented and restore points are completely deleted every time. If Windows 10 telemetry allows unwanted surveillance and the automatic system updates cannot be blocked, what makes this anything but a path for terrorists to shut down all computers running the latest Windows operating system?

I have checked the health of my hard drive and found no problems. I'm not ready to dismiss Windows 10 as undesireable yet, but will continue to block its installation for now. The trouble here is that Windows Update is deleting all of my system restore points. Isn't it supposed to create a new one after each update, not delete them all? My system is a 2009 vintage one that had Vista installed with a free upgrade to Windows 7. There is no touchscreen and many of the Windows 10 features will not be available. A clean install of Windows 10 would set me back a year because of all the software/drivers to reinstall. Microsoft is apparently the cause of my problems with continuing to use Windows 7 as usual. Wouldn't anybody be angry if this happened to them?

The latest Windows Updates that were installed in spite of my attempts to block them disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and my attempts to use the system to either reinstall or uninstall MSE fail. Should I try to restore the oldest disk image that I have in order to bypass the Windows 10 Update issues and return to Windows 7 as usual, or am I just stupid for not having installed Windows 10 already? None of the people who took my poll seemed to think so, but no one has offered any solution to my problems. Is there anybody who really knows what is going on here? Your help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Peachy; 2015-12-16 at 08:37.

jwoods
    Using GWX Control Panel (with Monitor Mode turned off) and having Windows Update set to Check for updates but let me choose... has worked fine for me in the past 4 1/2 months since Windows 10 was released.

Josh Mayfield mentioned on December 1st on his blog that there was an issue with Monitor Mode.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

You might try using System Restore to go back to the point before you got the updates.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Peachy (2015-12-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have uninstalled the update that you indicated was the source of the problem and found that there were two GWX.exe files installed in C:\Windows\winsxs folders, both of which I was able to delete using the Add-Take-Ownership option that your provided. Hopefully this will stop the Windows 10 upgrade process which GWX control panel shows as disabled now. I still am unable to use Windows Security Essentials which the system says is already installed, but will not allow me to uninstall or reinstall it. What can be done to remedy this?

Thanks
    As a temporary measure, I would install another antivirus program. In fact, the other antivirus program will likely disable Windows Security Essentials as part of its install process.

Here's a free one which is pretty good: https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Thanks
    Peachy,
    First let me say "Welcome" to Windows Secrets.

But for Old Timers, it's no secret, that when you do an OS upgrade, as you said you did, from vista to Win-7, the result is a Hybrid OS, and not a pure one, like if you did a Cold Install of Windows 7. Just because it seems to work for you doesn't mean that Any MS Upgrade, will see it that way.

That may be the root cause of many of your problems. I'd block any Windows 10 upgrades, like with the GWX Control Panel and move on with Windows 7, a great and fully debugged OS. I have many Windows 7 PC's here, and they all work just GREAT.

As for the suggestion to install Avast...... I strongly disagree, as a working Computer Tech.

I recently was called on to repair a PC with Windows 8.1 on it. It also had Avast on it. I've never trusted Avast, so I removed it and installed AVG 2016 FREE.
    On the very first scan, AVG found and removed 30 viruses that Avast never even saw. I also installed "Super Anti-Spyware" that did a scan and found 1400 tracking cookies, that Avast never saw. So trusting your PC's security to any one program like Avast is a very poor decision.
    The viruses had so chewed away at the OS, that I wound up re-installing windows to do a proper repair.

NO ONE program is ever designed to find every kind of malware ever written. It takes a 'Package' of very good and trustworthy software to keep any PC safe.

Good Luck Mate, and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

jwoods
    Microsoft upgraded over 95% of its employees computers using in-place upgrades...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...de-the-company

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Microsoft upgraded over 95% of its employees computers using in-place upgrades...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...de-the-company
    It would be interesting to know how Microsoft employees like the new Windows 10 which was "foisted" on their work computers.

I am glad to know that Microsoft is not making everyone else do what they are not willing to do.

Thanks
    But they likely had a more homogenous group of computers with a more knowledgeable group of users w/ less crapware and non production S/W installed. I wonder who the last 5% are.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    It would be interesting to know how Microsoft employees like the new Windows 10 which was "foisted" on their work computers.

I am glad to know that Microsoft is not making everyone else do what they are not willing to do.
    What is Microsoft not willing to do?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also doubt MS was using a lot of third party software and hardware. I suspect the PCs were fairly new and uniform in specs.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Microsoft likely had fairly homogenous hardware. However, I think you'd be surprised at the breadth of software in use.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I also doubt MS was using a lot of third party software and hardware. I suspect the PCs were fairly new and uniform in specs.
    Joe
    I'd bet on it!
    As with most Corporate computers, the installation of third party, or personal software is strictly prohibited.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!