Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook taking hours to return self addressed emails.

I am running Outlook 2010 on a windows 7 pro 64bit computer. I regularly send a message to myself if I find a link with information that I want to save to a relevant folder in my inbox. However in the last week or so if I do this, the message goes to the outbox, and is sent pretty well immediately. I check the sent box, and it is shown as sent. Almost exactly 2hrs later I get these messages.

I have set outlook to check for messages every 5 mins and that works ok, I get messages sent to me from other sources ok. If I check the account settings and do the test function, the generated Outlook test message comes straight back to me.

This is happening on my laptop similarly configured as well. If I use another email client like Thunderbird all works fine.

I have checked with my ISP and they did a remote connect and after a couple of hours gave up in total frustration. I am set up with POP3

I have uninstalled Office 2010 completely and done a fresh installation, and the problem still persists.

I also have 2 separate email addresses and the same happens on both of them.

Any help on this can of worms very much appreciated.

As an after-thought, I deleted the latest office updates, and this made no difference either, I suspected they may have been the culprit. This one has me totally bamboozled

Thanks
    Have a look at the email headers and see if you can see any obvious delays there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This email was a test message that took 125mins from the time I sent it to get it back in my inbox

Here is a copy of he header, it means zip to me:

Return-Path: <xxx@xxx.com.au>
    Delivered-To: <xxx@xxx.com.au>
    Received: from icp-osb-dovedir-sa2.iinet.net.au ([10.2.56.23])
    by icp-osb-dovelip-sa3 (Dovecot) with LMTP id NHzyFHJDcVY7HgAAL1494g
    for <xxx@xxx.com.au>; Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:37:36 +0000
    Received: from icp-osb-smtpdir23.iinet.net.au ([10.2.56.23])
    by icp-osb-dovedir-sa2.iinet.net.au (Dovecot) with LMTP id uGpgFMZDcVa8QwAAUd0Xew
    ; Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:37:36 +0000
    Received: from icp-osb-irony-out2.external.iinet.net.au (icp-osb-irony-out2.external.iinet.net.au [203.59.1.155])
    by icp-osb-smtpdir23.iinet.net.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id 61546100006
    for <xxx@xxx.com.au>; Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:37:36 +0000 (UTC)
    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: A2HI5QCqLnFW/0sMocpeGQEBAg8BAQIHAQICAYFRAQEBAltMUl4BgnCKNrAnghM ShXUBAwElgQdMAQEBAQEBAQOBB0EBAQMJBINoCAIPDwVZBQYHC VI/AQQeBYgenDeWGYwUkHqEGQWWfAFBcYwViT2TXWOBSgwBgkArgn 0jgiUBAQE
    X-IPAS-Result: A2HI5QCqLnFW/0sMocpeGQEBAg8BAQIHAQICAYFRAQEBAltMUl4BgnCKNrAnghM ShXUBAwElgQdMAQEBAQEBAQOBB0EBAQMJBINoCAIPDwVZBQYHC VI/AQQeBYgenDeWGYwUkHqEGQWWfAFBcYwViT2TXWOBSgwBgkArgn 0jgiUBAQE
    X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="5.20,436,1444665600";
    d="scan'208,217";a="427960680"
    X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="5.20,436,1444665600";
    d="scan'208,217";a="427960680"
    Received: from unknown (HELO xxxxxxxxxPC) ([202.161.12.75])
    by icp-osb-irony-out2.iinet.net.au with ESMTP; 16 Dec 2015 17:33:07 +0800
    To: <xxx@xxx.com.au>
    Subject: test at 2000
    Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:03:01 +1030
    Message-ID: <000001d137e4$c29cc460$47d64d20$@adam.com.au>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D1383C.C52D7960"
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0
    Thread-Index: AdE35MIEyP7A3+oMRECssga935dC8g==
    Content-Language: en-au
    X-EsetId: 37303A2944AC0C6167746A
    Last edited by Exfso2; 2015-12-16 at 18:12. Reason: edited email address

Thanks
    For me, the easiest way to "send a message to myself" is as follows:
    * Open a new message
    * Get everything ready to send
    * Click the Save icon (upper left of screen)

The email is now in the Draft folder. You can move it from there to any folder you like; you don't have to actually send it anywhere.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    For me, the easiest way to "send a message to myself" is as follows:
    * Open a new message
    * Get everything ready to send
    * Click the Save icon (upper left of screen)

The email is now in the Draft folder. You can move it from there to any folder you like; you don't have to actually send it anywhere.
    Definitely a good way to go about it. In the interim, I will do this as it appears to be a very nice solution. The problem still exists though, as this should not be happening.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Looks like your iron port anti-spam received the mail and did not send it for two hours.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Joe says, the delay is with your email provider, not local to your PC.

By the way, I suggest you edit your email address out of the message header you posted (login to Windows Secrets and click on the Edit Post button under your post) - spammers can easily pick up your email address from places like this.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. Joe what do you mean "irony port anti-spam"? Is that associated with my ISP's spam filtering?
    Last edited by Exfso2; 2015-12-16 at 18:14. Reason: fixed typo

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    As Joe says, the delay is with your email provider, not local to your PC.

By the way, I suggest you edit your email address out of the message header you posted (login to Windows Secrets and click on the Edit Post button under your post) - spammers can easily pick up your email address from places like this.
    If this is an ISP issue, why is it that identical test messages sent via Thunderbird come straight back to me. Also If I originate similar on my IPhone, there are no issues either. Surely if it were the ISP that was at fault, these would be affected as well. I notice that Irony is an anti spam filter, I gather it is not part of the Office suite and would have to be purchased separately, this being the case Outlook would not be at fault, however the only time this issue is evident is when using Outlook. Very confusing....

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IronPort

Check the times from the header for your other mails.
    In to IronPort at 09:33 UTC
    Received: from unknown (HELO xxxxxxxxxPC) ([202.161.12.75])
    by icp-osb-irony-out2.iinet.net.au with ESMTP; 16 Dec 2015 17:33:07 +0800

Out from IronPort at 11:37 UTC
    Received: from icp-osb-irony-out2.external.iinet.net.au (icp-osb-irony-out2.external.iinet.net.au [203.59.1.155])
    by icp-osb-smtpdir23.iinet.net.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id 61546100006
    for <xxx@xxx.com.au>; Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:37:36 +0000 (UTC)

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not with you Paul, do you want me to check a header on one that has not been delayed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exfso2 View Post
    Not with you Paul, do you want me to check a header on one that has not been delayed?
    That header shows that the message was received by IronPort at 9:33:07 (UTC) and sent at 11:37:35 (UTC). So you have your delay there.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    That header shows that the message was received by IronPort at 9:33:07 (UTC) and sent at 11:37:35 (UTC). So you have your delay there.

The big question is, why is the delay ??? I really am struggling trying to get my head around this, that is for sure. Why is it that it only happens with Outlook? and why has it only just started in the last week?

Is ironPort on my machine? afaik it is not, but if it is my ISP that has it, then why are the other mail clients not experiencing this issue. This IronPort is some sort of anti spam filtering I believe by Cisco, but that is all I can find out. My ISP is not answering phones at present either, that sure does not help my frame of mind!!
    Surely I cannot be the only person to have had this happen, strange indeed.
    Last edited by Exfso2; 2015-12-17 at 08:26.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    As others have mentioned, this happens at your ISP. You need to contact them, present those headers as evidence and have them fix it. It's their responsibility to do it.

This may happen just with emails sent from Outlook, but it seems Outlook is doing its job properly. IronPort seems to be the culprit here. Why, it's for the ISP to find out. It is possible that this affects other users, but if emails are not sent to the senders, it will be harder to notice, as the emails end up being sent, even if delayed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    As others have mentioned, this happens at your ISP. You need to contact them, present those headers as evidence and have them fix it. It's their responsibility to do it.

This may happen just with emails sent from Outlook, but it seems Outlook is doing its job properly. IronPort seems to be the culprit here. Why, it's for the ISP to find out. It is possible that this affects other users, but if emails are not sent to the senders, it will be harder to notice, as the emails end up being sent, even if delayed.
    Rui, I hear what you are saying but if that is the case, why is it only doing it with the Outlook email program and not Thunderbird or the IPhone app, these still have to go through my ISP...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast