Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 MASSIVE Slowdown (no longer intermittant)

One of my W7 machines (HP Pavilion, 2010, W7 Home Premium) has been suffering from intermittent MASSIVE slowdowns for over two years now, and it now seems to have become permanent. I am at my wit's end trying to figure it out. I am not talking about a generally slow computer, but one that just changes from operating normally (with excellent performance) to taking literally MINUTES to respond to just about any mouse selection (even simply trying to start the Windows Resource Monitor from the task bar).

At first, the problems seemed to only happen when waking the computer from sleep, and a simple re-boot would always fix it (but just waiting for each mouse click to get through the start menu and trigger the restart would take ages!). To fight that, I started using sleep less and less. Over the past few months, there have been numerous instances where it started happening after just sitting idle for a few hours or more; again easily fixed by restart. The problem has never just suddenly started WHILE I was using the computer, only after I had been away from it for a while. Today I have restarted it several times (after it being totally shut down for several days), and it has not been normal performance at all - the slowness was there immediately after the first cold boot. It is not the mouse or anything running that I can find. For a test just now, after a fresh reboot with nothing running other than the resource monitor, I went to the Start menu to display the Control Panel menu. Opening the Start menu happens fast and normal, and the various items are highlighted instantly when the cursor moves over them, but if I pause on the Control Panel (or any other option with a sub-menu) and wait for the menu to be displayed, it takes between 25 and 35 seconds to pop up. And once it is there, it takes the same amount of time to just make it go away!

I know this sounds like a simple newb problem, but I actually used to be pretty much of a tech expert on computers. But now that I'm retired, getting older, and spending lots of time on other things, I have lost a lot of what I used to know. For a bit of background, I have 6 computers we use daily - 3 have been converted to W10, two still running W7, and one old laptop still on XP. I have been trying to slowly move all the important installed programs from this wonky HP over to a newer PC running W10, but have not made it a real priority yet due to the mess in my office! I have not tried a clean re-install of the OS yet simply because this particular computer has several programs on it that I am not sure I can re-install!

What's My Computer Doing?
    shows nothing significant running or consuming any resources. Windows Resource Monitor does not show any significant use of resources, nor does it show any spikes during the 30 seconds or so that I wait for the Control Panel menu or window. And re-running the Windows Performance assessment produces virtually the exact same numbers as I have printed out from when the computer was new. The only thing odd about re-running the performance assessment is that it seems to take WAAAAY long to run. I have no idea how long it originally took on that particular computer, but now it takes 22 minutes to complete, where my other W7 computer (home built, Gigabyte MB, 2012, W7 Pro) only takes 5 minutes to run the same assessment.

So based simply on the 30 seconds it takes to just bring up the Control Panel as a test, that 30 seconds of screen clock time MUST be consumed by something, but where do I look???

Thanks

jwoods
    You might run the System Health report using Performance Monitor.

From the Search box, enter perfmon /report

Takes a few minutes to complete.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do other things still happen while you are waiting? Fire up the analogue clock and then attempt to open Control Panel.
    Have you tested your hard disk? Maybe it has problems. Try PassMark DiskCheckup or Hard Disk Sentinel.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2015-12-18 at 05:00.

Thanks
    Greetings from the Great Country of TEXAS,

Sounds familiar to me, mine started about a year ago. Typing just was not really what you wanted to do, some times a couple of lines could be typed and NOTHING on the screen, STOP and watch then suddenly it would catch-up then all over again. Made many investigations into what it could be . . NO HELP! About two (2) months ago a friend told me of similar issue with his computer. Took his advice and started looking into what is running on my system, using Mark Russinovich's "Process Explorer" and my processor was running 100% with NO Idle Time. The one that was using the most was WinAntiRansom, some new software. Removed that one and it cleared up, Back To Normal. Next day all back again with MBAM Premium now guilty two (2) copies with different PID#s without any SCANS being done. Removed that one and back to normal, next day Avast! FREE was guilty, NOW JUST WAIT A MINUTE! I frequently work in the Registry and started looking to see what was being started when booing, all seemed normal. Then there is something under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE with what looked like GARBAGE in the DATA fields of the rite-pane. The title for that KEY was a mixture of digits plus the names of the entries in the rite-pane were alpha-numerics AND the TYPE for a couple of them was REG_BINARY with ASCII characters, upper/lower case characters, music notes, et ceteras . .

Found this in four (4) different areas and none tied to any program running on my system that was NOT already entered within the KEYS for those programs. The GARBAGE KEYS entries were EYE-WASH? Distraction? After posting to several forums with questions and getting NO replies I did A NO! NO! NO! and removed those keys, yes DELETED them. I DO NOT recommend doing this, I was desperate. Finally received a message from one forum telling me to DELETE NOTHING, OOPS! DID their testing running several different programs that needed to be downloaded that would create reports for them to review. GEEKS-TO-GO was the forum, I apologized and complied with their information and did the testing. From what I could extract from some of the reports, ALL IS CLEAN and NORMAL!!

What it boiled down to, IMHO, there was some BINARY files entered into my REG files that were running some of my SECURITY software, sometimes multiple copies of the same program using up my processor time, just being a pain.

NOW have that first mentioned program monitoring my REG Files to alert me if any unauthorized entries are made.

Prior to doing any of the testing the Processor temp had risen to 141F and was told NORMAL temp is 120 - 125F, now mine is running 95F to 105F with 89% - 98% IDLE Time.

AS I have said, 'do not do this method of removing things in the REG Files as you can do more harm than GOOD!' My system is running MUCH better.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-12-17 at 08:34.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar problem, but mine happens at 6 am daily and lasts for sure 45 minutes, perhaps to a lessening degree for a couple hours. During the slowdown, the system is nearly useless so I walk away.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Duplicate, see your original post: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ses-6-am-daily

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Excuse me, PLEASE? I am now stopping my monitoring of this thread, as my system is now back to normal and not giving any issues after completing my posted NO! NO! NO! action. That first removed software, ?WinAntiRasom" was reinstalled and have had several updates to improve usability along better monitoring of my registry files and ALL are now normal. Have NOT had any issues with slow-downs.

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR along with better computer operations . .
    TIA, CU L8R,

Thanks
    I was having a similar slowdown problem, but it involved only surfing the web. Whenever I went to informational or news websites, it would slow to a crawl (a slow crawl) on pretty much every website.

I accidentally discovered that whenever Adobe Flash was running, things were slow; however, when it wasn't running, things got a lot faster.

I uninstalled Flash, and things got a lot better. I miss an occasional video, but that is a small price to pay for being able to surf the web.

Thanks
    You seem to be knowledgeable about your computers, IF I may make a suggestion for you to have some software to use when you want to know about usages of your processor by unauthorized programs. I use Mark Russinovich's "Process Explorer" which is FREE from his website, SysInternals, or even on Microsoft's website. If you would like to use it just PM me and the website location will be provided. I have used it for many years and it is simple to use with a very short learning curve that goes with just about any software.
    TIA, CU L8R,

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Reasons for a slow computer!
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm
    Have you scanned for malware??