3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NOW-unable to add a custom icon to a desktop shortcut.

HI,

Just got a fresh install of W& Pro on my pc early Dec.
    Initially, when I wanted to create a short cut, I rt clkd the app and a pop-up appeared
    indicating I could not create a short cut here, but one would be created on the desk top.
    And if I wanted to change the Icon, I rt clkd the std Icon, on the desktop, and at the bottom of the popup
    there was button to change icon.

Now 2 wks later when I want add a desktop shortcut, when I create a shortcut that appears in the app folder. Not on the desktop.
    When I drag the shortcut to the desktop and try to change the icon, the change icon button doesn't appear, so I can't change the Icon???
    If this is not clear, I'll be glad to post pix.

What did I do wrong??

cheers,

klx

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Change Icon button is greyed-out for newly-created shortcuts unless UAC is set to Never notify or Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer.

To change the location where shortcuts are created I can only suggest a System Restore as I have no idea where to find the setting for that behaviour.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-12-16 at 17:37.

jwoods
    Try putting the shortcut on the Desktop directly, by right-clicking on the application icon and selecting Send to then Desktop (create shortcut).

I have UAC turned on, and am able to change icons on my Desktop.

Some have been there for several years.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't send email from FF42.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Try putting the shortcut on the Desktop directly, by right-clicking on the application icon and selecting Send to then Desktop (create shortcut).

I have UAC turned on, and am able to change icons on my Desktop.

Some have been there for several years.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Woods,

Thanks for the correct Help. It worked.

Now I just tried to email my grandchildren an interesting web site, but when I went to file>email link, my outlook 2003 did not pull up as its done for several yrs.
    I can't imagine what that fix is listed under. If you have an Idea, please let me know.

cheers & Merry Christmas

Oh, where do I thank you, I didn't see it on the post page.

klx

clk on image to view animation
    Attached Images Attached Images

jwoods
    Nice animation.

In Firefox, you would set the email program in Tools > Options > Applications

Firefox Applications Settings.jpg

In Internet Explorer, you would set it in Internet Options > Programs > Set Programs, which will take you to Default Programs (which can also be accessed in Control Panel).

Default Programs.jpg

Default Programs List.jpg

Mail To.jpg

I am using Thunderbird as the email client in both examples.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-16 at 21:00.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a more curious situation than I at first thought !

After spending a tedious evening altering the status of UAC and re-booting each time, I get confusing inconsistency about whether or not the Change icon button is greyed out or not.

The only things that seem to be consistent are:

1. If UAC is turned OFF, the button is always active.

2. If UAC is set to a higher level than OFF, the behaviour of the button is variable (sometimes accessible, sometimes not) and also depends on whether the shortcut was created by me from an application or was installed automatically during the application's installation.

Go figure
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-12-17 at 10:24.