5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making Windows and Marshmallow work together

TOP STORY

Making Windows and Marshmallow work together

By Lincoln Spector

Windows and Android have always had an uneasy relationship. Those of us who use both Windows and Android on a regular basis often find that the two OSes don't always play well together.

In some ways, the newest phones have made the problem worse. Here's how to make your Android phone work with Windows.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/making-windows-and-marshmallow-work-together/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting article outlining some of the limitations - but not all. I've yet to find a way of actually syncing files, say like a spreadsheet, where changes made on the phone are reflected on my laptop, without have to re-save the Cloud version and the local one.

Also, I would say there are other options - I use WPS Office on my Android tablet (with BT keyboard) that can read docx files. I also rely a fair bit on Evernote, where of course text files are synced.
    Last edited by timsinc; 2015-12-17 at 05:40.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

New Lounger
    Thanks

SnapPea

I use SnapPea to transfer files between my PC and my Samsung Mega Android phone using a WiFi connection. It is quick and easy to use to transfer pictures, videos, and music. Not sure whether this would be as useful to others, since I do not use the cloud at all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is another option that is available for making Android and Windows play nice together. When I purchased my Nexus 5 several years ago, I found no way to transfer files ~ namely photos ~ from my N5 to my PC. A lot of searches later I found Airdroid ~ https://www.airdroid.com/get.html.

A small program you install to your Windows machine and an app you install to your phone from the Play Store. Simply open the app and sign into the program from your PC and you can wirelessly transfer all file types from the phone to your PC and vise versa. It's a wireless connection. So it's very fast and can be done in just a few clicks.

Here is a short video tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Cf9Xga_fc

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with the author that Dropbox plays well with most apps and does not tilt the playing field. In editing documents I am not a fan of cloud-based solutions since my writing and spreadsheet use is generally not collaborative. I have ended up gravitating toward Documents To Go, a venerable but powerful Android app which can edit native MS Office documents (docx, xls, ppt) and has recently added the ability to seamlessly open those documents from (and save them to) Dropbox without having to separately access the Dropbox folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    File-transfer transfer method 3: LAN

I like ES File Explorer for Android. Using it, you can move files to or from shared folders on computers on your LAN using Wi-Fi. (It also supports cloud storage services.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ES File Explorer is a very easy way to move files to and fro between a PC & Android. I've been using it for 5 years or so. It's on your personal Wi-Fi and network, minimal opportunity for it to go astray.

Setup is simple: share the folders you wish to use on the PC, install ES File Explorer and log in to the wireless access point in your network.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OneNote is one of the applications I use regularly, and it syncs to all of my devices (Windows and Android) automatically.
    DropBox is fine, but OneDrive is also great. Save the file to OneDrive on the Android phone, and OneDrive will sync it to the laptop, desktop, and the tablet (depending on your settings on each device).
    I have been doing this for a long time. I don't recall having any issues, and never thought this was an issue.
    There are several file managers for Android, and ES File Explorer is one of them. I like it as well, and I use it regularly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sh10453 View Post
    Save the file to OneDrive on the Android phone, and OneDrive will sync it to the laptop, desktop, and the tablet.
    Yes, but if you open a file, make changes then save it on one device, will those changes be there in the same file on your other devices? I've found an altered file is saved to the cloud service (OneDrive etc) as a new additional document.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    Yes, but if you open a file, make changes then save it on one device, will those changes be there in the same file on your other devices? I've found an altered file is saved to the cloud service (OneDrive etc) as a new additional document.
    I have not experienced such an issue on Box, OneDrive, DropBox, or the couple of other cloud services that I regularly use.
    I would double check the file name or the file type of the edited file after it is saved (.doc vs. .docx, for example).
    Last edited by sh10453; 2015-12-18 at 07:37.