Lounger
    Thanks

Can't sign in to Microsoft Account or to Cortana

This problem is driving me crazy. I can go to the Microsoft website and sign in so it's not some simple password problem. I am connected to the internet for everything else but when I try to sign in from Win 10 I constantly get a couple of variant messages saying, "Well you're not connected to the internet", or "no connection try later", in any and all cases, for some reason, my OS won't connect to the internet. When I try and connect from MS Edge it's also a no go. Firefox is fine, Chrome is fine. My local network is also not functioning. Is anyone else having this problem? Seems to have started after last Win 10 update.

Thanks
    It sounds like something zigged when it should have zagged! You could investigate for a while, and find or not find an answer. If you have install medium you could just do an in place upgrade of your Windows by clicking on setup. I find that to be much quicker for most things, and the problems are fixed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wannerjs View Post
    This problem is driving me crazy. I can go to the Microsoft website and sign in so it's not some simple password problem. I am connected to the internet for everything else but when I try to sign in from Win 10 I constantly get a couple of variant messages saying, "Well you're not connected to the internet", or "no connection try later", in any and all cases, for some reason, my OS won't connect to the internet. When I try and connect from MS Edge it's also a no go. Firefox is fine, Chrome is fine. My local network is also not functioning. Is anyone else having this problem? Seems to have started after last Win 10 update.
    What kinds of answers are you getting from the Network Troubleshooter?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally just restored from a backup. I tried everything. Reset all network functions maybe 3x. I was mainly very curious on just what happened. After a couple of days of testing, changing, etc., I was just stumped. I did numerous virus scans, stopped windows firewall, defender, you name it. It was a very enlightening and it's alternate, nothing pointed to anything. It just seemed that a blanket coverage on all things Microsoft as far as internet or LAN connections were smothered. So, unless it happens to someone else and they figure it out, I'll just remain totally in the dark. Thanks for any and all that gave suggestions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    JS, hello.
    Restoring from a backup will also restore the problem. Same as before !
    You ought to do a complete reinstall. Them are the breaks !

All best wishes. Jean.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well my restore was by replacing the SSD I had cloned from the HD when it was fresh with the original HD going back in and known to be totally functional. I then recloned the SSD back to original and put in back in the laptop. All is good. The original HD thus stays in pristeen condition though I have to put back the changes back on the SSD. I will keep a very close eye for any difference and hopefully find the culprit that way. It is doubtful though as it was such an odd problem. Thanks for thoughts. J

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    js, much better. Your restore was not a real restore as defined in Windows. It was a clone back. Now we are on proper terminology, good on you.

I use clone at least once per week, it has saved my neck umpteen times so far. I have destination HDs dedicated to each of my machines, currently running three, all on 11082.1000.

All best wishes. Jean.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

wannerjs (2015-12-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was looking at the problem and realized I didn't really give trouble shooting steps. So not sure how I didn't answer your question, just Xmas time I guess. The Troubleshooter pointed me to changing PublicNW to Private Network. It was puzzling in that everything had been working fine. But, as anyone dealing with these beasties, and especially Win 10 updating automatically, knows that odd problems occasionally occur. Okay, so I go to change NW settings to Private. Problem, there is no Network access of any kind to actually change it. So I must be stuck in Public NW for some reason but just not showing. So I found where the NW selection was in the Registry and changed the Dword value from 0 to 1. Went back to sign in, still nothing and no change. My policy is to revert the Registry back to original if the change didn't work so I did. Got to thinking why nothing Microsoft would connect but Firefox and Chrome would. It became apparent that a Public NW would allow that. On further cogitation I began to understand that all MS accounts, etc., would be locked down on a Public NW. That is a good and safe policy. I think had I had IE11 that it would have connected as no logins are needed. It became quite obvious that the switching and access to Network was....????? I ran SFC twice and all was reported as good. Cleared all NW caches and reset, nothing. Researched, checked, looked, just flat ran out of options for my feeble mind. I apologize for not being clearer earlier. I follow your posts Mr. B and appreciate all who take the time to help with problems. Maybe this little note will help someone find the problem. I have no clue has to how the NW settings disappeared.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wannerjs View Post
    ... changing PublicNW to Private Network.
    Funny you should mention that. I have a client whom I upgraded to Win10 a month ago. Everything fine until he calls me yesterday with the same symptoms you describe. Edge not able to get to the Internet, Outlook not able to connect to get mail. Alternate browser works fine.

I noticed that he was not connected to his normal WiFi SSID and was using Comcast's public xfinitywifi SSID instead. I asked why and he said he had no idea but that his kids had visited a few nights before. I switched him back to his private network SSID and all was fine again.

Coincidence? You decide... (cue eerie music)

Steve G

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve G For This Useful Post:

wannerjs (2015-12-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting...cue music. I think that would technically make sense. xfinity is public so MS doesn't allow personal stuff to connect. I haven't seen that policy stated explicitly but seems to be so. Personally I think it would be a good policy. Thanks J

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded my Win8.1 to Win10 and had no problems for a couple of weeks. Then problems developed and got worse as I tried to resolve them. My Win10 images refused to load, so I used my USB Win10 repair tool to reinstall Win10 to bare metal. Then I restored an image of my prior version (Win8.1 Pro x64). It is running properly at present. Today I tried to use the MS upgrade tool to reinstall Win10, but it reported "The language or edition of the version of Windows installed on your PC isn't supported by this tool." Hours and many attempts later, I have verified that my 8.1 updates were done and made attempts to install Win10, but all failed. I spent over an hour trying to boot to safe mode to try the installation from there, but all attempts failed (after following the steps I found on various web sites). I have fast boot turned off.

My guess is that I could return to Win10 with another bare metal install, but I really want to avoid nuking all of my installed programs. The upgrade worked the first time and did not harm my installed programs. Is there any way to do this again?

Lounger
    Thanks
    My best guess as to getting back to Win 10 intact would be to delete and reformat your drive. Then reimage your win 8.1 back on. Then have it check for updates. At some point you will get the option to download and install Win 10 in it's current edition thus keeping all of your programs intact. (Well, most of them anyway). J

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! How about using the media creation tool after reimaging 8.1? That is how I up graded my PC.
    I down loaded the media creation tool to a flash drive. I was told this method would work if I didn't want to wait for the up date. Once the media creation tool was created, I plugged in the flash drive. Clicked on Reset and W10 installed perfectly. I was not asked for a key. I didn't have to change my boot order to boot to USB, and the install up grade went great. I used this same flash and procedure to up grade 3 more PC's and all went great. It seems to me that people are making this hard when it's very simple. It took a little over 2 hours to complete the procedure. I'm going to start a thread with this and see if I can get some responses!
    Capture48.JPG

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Clicked on Reset
    Setup?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Setup?
    Yes sir! You got me again! Thank you!