New Lounger
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA

How to find farkled text files?

Using Word 2010 and Windows 7: Sometimes when I open an old document, gibberish appears on the scree in the File Conversion pop-open box. And no matter which choices I elect, the file remains unintelligible.

The text that is visible inside the pop-up box is largely rectangle characters. I tried to cut some and paste them here, but in this message they have a different appearance : {}g}oww}o}~}~wwgwoow womo{}.

Most of these documents are backed up elsewhere, so when this happens I can over-write the farkled file with an old good version. This is tedious, but at least I've not yet lost anything mission-critical.

I assume the problem is that somehow some bits got lost and Word can't recognize what's there as an English-language text file.

Is there any way to scan a folder to verify that all the files are "good"? Uncovering these farkled files only when I need them is a work-flow challenge. I'd rather set aside some time, check all my files, and fix the broken ones at my convenience.

WS Lounge VIP
    Unless you can identify the files consistently I can't see a way. Is there a size or date you can go by?
    My Word 97-2003 docs have the term "Microsoft Word" in them, do your farkled ones? I viewed with Notepad++

cheers, Paul