Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading Office 2013 to 2016

From browsing around the net it seems that there is no "upgrade" path for those people with licensed copies of Office 2013 to upgrade to Office 2016. It's a case of buying the whole suite again (at over $200).

I have no desire to use Office365.

My desktop runs Win7. No plans to upgrade to Win10 until March 2016 or so.

I currently use LibreOffice on my laptop (when I teach) as it reads Office files just fine. Any teaching Powerpoint files I create on my desktop using dual monitors.

I do use the Outlook 2013 PC client extensively (typically email and calendaring). I use POP3 and store any email I wish to keep locally. My calendar snycs with gmail (using the excellent gSyncit Outlook addon at:

http://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/software/gsyncit4/

Then gmail syncs the calendar with my Android phone.

So, if MS insist that there is only an upgrade path by buying the whole suite again...I may be tempted to take my desktop to LibreOffice also. The problem is that LibreOffice doesn't have an email client program.

Does anyone use LibreOffice with some other email client program? If so, can you provide any details of what that software is and any feedback re:

Usability, similarity to Outlook, compatibility with Outlook PST and Contacts etc

Thanks,

Kevin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    From browsing around the net it seems that there is no "upgrade" path for those people with licensed copies of Office 2013 to upgrade to Office 2016. It's a case of buying the whole suite again (at over $200).

I currently use LibreOffice on my laptop (when I teach) as it reads Office files just fine. Any teaching Powerpoint files I create on my desktop using dual monitors.

I do use the Outlook 2013 PC client extensively (typically email and calendaring). I use POP3 and store any email I wish to keep locally. My calendar snycs with gmail (using the excellent gSyncit Outlook addon at:

So, if MS insist that there is only an upgrade path by buying the whole suite again...I may be tempted to take my desktop to LibreOffice also. The problem is that LibreOffice doesn't have an email client program.

Does anyone use LibreOffice with some other email client program? If so, can you provide any details of what that software is and any feedback re:

Usability, similarity to Outlook, compatibility with Outlook PST and Contacts etc

Thanks,

Kevin
    There's a couple of programs in Office not as easily replaced, Outlook and Publisher. Otherwise LibreOffice is quite nice and can even open the discontinued Microsoft Works files.l

There's several choices of installable E-Mail Clients, two free ones I like are Outlook Express Classic [OEClassic] and the client that that comes with the SeaMonkey browser. I have put both on Win7, Win8/8.1 and Win10 computers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Since you teach if you can get an education SKU of Office 2016 it should be very cheap.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,

Kevin
    There's never been a free upgrade between versions of Office. MS are doing that for Windows 10, but I doubt very much they will ever offer a free upgrade of Office.

You say you don't want Office365. I just wanted to make sure you know that it's purely a licencing and delivery model. The applications are exactly the same, they can be installed on your PC and do not require internet access to use. The fundamental difference is that you pay once for Office (non-365) but don't get updates to new versions vs you pay a monthly fee and get upgrades to new versions for free.

You'll have to determine whether that is better or worse financially.

jwoods
    I have been using LibreOffice and Mozilla Thunderbird for a while now, and do not miss Office/Outlook at all.

I was able to import emails from Outlook into Thunderbird.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm...hadn't thought of that path...I'll check it out.

EDIT
    ----
    Looks like Office Student doesn't include Outlook. See https://products.office.com/en-us/home-and-student

Thanks,

K

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Since you teach if you can get an education SKU of Office 2016 it should be very cheap.

Joe
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2015-12-18 at 07:00. Reason: Added comment on Outlook Student

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @dogknees.....Yep, I understand the cost model. Thanks.

EDIT
    ----
    I just looked again.

Office for 1 PC is $69.99/year.
    Office Home (5 PCs) is $99.99/year.
    Office 2016 is $229.99/year.

Maybe I need to see if the wife wants Office on her PC. Then I could ditch LibreOffice on my laptop and install Office on it. Food for thought., I guess.

EDIT2
    ------
    So, maybe Office Home (allowing 5 computers) is a possible upgrade path. A couple of questions (for anyone using that product):

1. I normally use my desktop for email (Outlook 2013). If I install Office Home on my desktop and my laptop...how are sync issues handled if I am traveling with the laptop and use Outlook on it? I use POP3 (not sure I want to go IMAP or not. So, if I DL email on the laptop (and using POP3) then I can't get them back to storing those that I want to on my desktop. OR is there some method of easily doing that?

2. Is there any way of setting up the laptop (accounts, screen view etc, etc) by "cloning" settings from my desktop?

I backup my desktop PST and Contacts on a regular basis (as part of my backup regime), so can easily import those onto the laptop.

4. Is there any "guide" around about using Outlook on multiple PCs for the same accounts...i.e. dos and donts?

TIA

K
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2015-12-18 at 08:23. Reason: Added Office cost data

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't expect a free upgrade to 2016, but I would have thought that MS could have offered current license holders something of a break. It doesn't help that when I retired from the Federal government, I bought 2013 for $20 as part of their "bulk licensing scheme". Now, I am retired I don't like paying $200+ for the next version. I don't mind paying an upgrade fee.

K

Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    There's never been a free upgrade between versions of Office. MS are doing that for Windows 10, but I doubt very much they will ever offer a free upgrade of Office.

You say you don't want Office365. I just wanted to make sure you know that it's purely a licencing and delivery model. The applications are exactly the same, they can be installed on your PC and do not require internet access to use. The fundamental difference is that you pay once for Office (non-365) but don't get updates to new versions vs you pay a monthly fee and get upgrades to new versions for free.

You'll have to determine whether that is better or worse financially.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I asked MailBird TS a couple of questions. These were:

I currently use Office 2013. I use Outlook fairly extensively, especially calendaring. I store many emails locally. I sync my Outlook calendar to the gmail calendar and then my cellphone picks up the gmail calendar.

Does Mailbird handle this?

Does Mailbird handle reading/importing Outlook 2013 PST and Contacts?

Does Mailbird “import” Outlook 2013 accounts?

Is there a list of things somewhere that Mailbird does or does NOT handle from Outlook 2013?

Their answer was:

We do have google calendar in Mailbird.

You can import contacts to Mailbird but only from vcard format.

As for emails and accounts, this will be possible once we release import early next year.

We do not have a list of things that Mailbird does or does NOT handle from Outlook 2013.
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2015-12-18 at 06:57.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thunderbird about to be dropped? See:

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...os-291525.html

K

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I have been using LibreOffice and Mozilla Thunderbird for a while now, and do not miss Office/Outlook at all.

I was able to import emails from Outlook into Thunderbird.

jwoods
    Thunderbird about to be dropped? See:

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...os-291525.html

K
    Doesn't look like it...

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't see a date on the URL that you posted, but the one that I posted had a December 16, 2015 date on the article and the first sentence stated "While it intends to stop work on its chat software Thunderbird". Later on the same article states "In addition, the Mozilla Foundation is set to drop Thunderbird, its famous messaging software, the development of which has been abandoned for several years. Mozilla is therefore concentrating on its star browser more than ever."

Whether the fact that one can still DL the software means that they are going to continue maintaining it...I don't know.

K

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, from a quick browse of a review of Office 2016...it seems very largely aimed at business oriented updates. I did NOT see much use for me as an "old" retired guy that does adult teaching. I might just stick with Office 2013.

K

jwoods
    I didn't see a date on the URL that you posted, but the one that I posted had a December 16, 2015 date on the article and the first sentence stated "While it intends to stop work on its chat software Thunderbird". Later on the same article states "In addition, the Mozilla Foundation is set to drop Thunderbird, its famous messaging software, the development of which has been abandoned for several years. Mozilla is therefore concentrating on its star browser more than ever."

Whether the fact that one can still DL the software means that they are going to continue maintaining it...I don't know.

K
    That link is the future versions page...Thunderbird 42 and 43, neither of which have been released to the public yet.

So development continues.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I don't read that the same way. The text states "the Mozilla Foundation is set to drop Thunderbird". Maybe Windows Secrets can find out for us?

K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast