New Lounger
    Thanks

Publishing Using FTP

I am brand new to FrontPage 2000 and am having trouble publishing to my ISP's server. My ISP has my user name and password all setup but I haven't been able to get it to work. This is for a personal web page to be stored on my ISP's server with an address of www.yvn.com/users/jmk. No one at my ISP uses FrontPage.

According to Special Edition Using MS Office 2000, I need to set up an FTP Location shortcut. I have tried following the directions given but I can't find the FTP Locations folder it refers to or another way to bring up the Add/Modify FTP Locations dialog box. Therefore, this doesn't seem to work the way it's supposed to. I have found the FrontPage Help to be useless in this area.

When I just try to type in an FTP address in the box asking for the location to publish my web to, it asks for user name and password. When I hit enter after supplying them, the box just comes back up with the password box empty again.

My ISP suggested just downloading another program but I want to use FrontPage for everything. According to what I have read, this should be possible. Any insight into this problem would be appreciated.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Publishing Using FTP

I take it that what you are saying is that you are trying to use the FTP function withing FP. I've never been able to make that work and so I use either WS/ftp or FTP Explorer (free) to upload all of my files to the server. I expect this is what your ISP is telling you.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that is correct. I guess I'll give up on using FrontPage for FTP. I suppose it's another frustrating Microsoft quirk to have an FTP feature that doesn't work. Thanks for the insight.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

JMK are you sure the feature that you're talking about is FTP within FP? There are publishing and saving features but both use other technology, and can only be used on Frontpage enabled servers. I built a few sites on different servers and can use the save/publish features for a couple because they are fp enabled but one is on a Unix server with no fp features turned on. I have to use a fTP program for that one. SmartFTP is a good one and it's free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Mike - it sounds like your ISP doesn't have FrontPage extensions installed on its web servers. I'm a beginner as well but it didn't take me long to start adding features to my sites that require FrontPage extensions - i.e. discussion forums, database tie-ins. If you're just using your ISP's free web space, I can understand sticking around. If you're shopping for a different web host, I would highly recommend Nexx.ca - their support is excellent for us beginners. (BTW, I have no financial interest or otherwise in this company - just a very happy customer.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

According to my ISP, they can't install the FP Server Extensions to my web storage because it's not the main domain. However, since my last posting, I found a MS support page that explained using FTP with FP and it gave an example of the path to use. I tried it and it worked amazingly enough. I had not had the "ftp://" as part of the path I was trying to use (ignorance on my part, but my ISP didn't explain it well at all). It still didn't work the way it was explained in Special Edition Using MS Office 2000, but I was just happy to get it to work at all. It is stubbornness on my part that I didn't want to use another program to do something this one should do also.

I appreciate all the input I have received in the lounge. Thanks!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Before you give up using FrontPage to FTP your web to your ISP, check with your ISP to find out if there's a different URL for FTP "publishing". For some time, Shaw@home services didn't include FrontPage Server Extensions, so I used FrontPage's FTP facility to publish my web. To do so, I had to use a slightly different URL (in this case, one that began with ftp:// instead of http://). Once I'd set that up, I just published my webs as usual. Since Shaw@home installed the FrontPage Server Extensions I've been publishing to another URL set up specifically for FrontPage users. Works fine, although I do have to append a "/" after the URL or it fails.

Mike