New Lounger
    Thanks

no network connectivity after Win 10 updates

I have 2 PCs on adjacent desks connected by ethernet cables to the same router. I try to sync them at least once a week with most recent copies of any files. Both originally ran Win 7 Home 64 bit. The original Win 10 upgrade seemed to run OK on both with no obvious problems. Then came an update after which they would not connect to each other with the same error message on each:

"windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing"

A week later a second update came through after which connectivity was restored and I could sync the week's files.

Now a further update has broken the connection again but with the following error message:

"one or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

Through all this they both connect to the web (to receive the updates if nought else) and to the shared wi-fi printer through the router.

I cannot understand how network connectivity cannot see the other PC but can connect to the web and the printer.

Puzzled I am.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Only Yoda understands W10 updates.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Only Yoda understands W10 updates.

cheers, Paul
    More truthful words have never been spoken,

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One possible cause is the use of a login PIN in Win 10 instead of a password. If you use passwords for private file and folder sharing then I've read elsewhere that the PIN login ithereafter nterferes with networked pc's seeing each other.
    Win 10 Pro 64bit on Dell XPS12 w/ Intel Core I5, 256gb mSATA, 4gb RAM. Also self-built Asus Z97 Desktop PC, Core I3, Kingston 96gb SSD, Toshiba 128 SSD, 8gb Corsair DDR4 1600, CM 692II Case, Radeon R7 250X, Samsung 23" Mon w/HDTV tuner.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More truthful words never spoken have been. I just realised that Yoda speaks English but as though translating from Latin.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by haybarn View Post
    One possible cause is the use of a login PIN in Win 10 instead of a password. If you use passwords for private file and folder sharing then I've read elsewhere that the PIN login ithereafter nterferes with networked pc's seeing each other.
    I think you may be on to something although neither PC has a login password or PIN but the network password is that generated by the master PC when creating the network. Curious that nobody else has reported this.

jwoods
    Try running the following commands from an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot your system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Following a new set of updates received by both PCs late on Friday, the connection is restored. They can see and transfer files between each other.

I guess I just keep my fingers crossed until the next set of updates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe an update at the beginning of December was reported as stopping the WLAN AutoConfig service and the latest one(s) rectified that.

Thanks
    I have on occasion had connectivity issues after update(s), and the Troubleshooter tells me one or more protocols are not installed, even though the configuration screen shows that all necessary protocols are listed as installed. A reboot fixes it magically.

I use a PIN on my NAS, but not my primary PC. I have yet to completely lose connectivity; it's just this necessity for a second reboot after the reboot to finish the update(s). No doubt Yoda could explain it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, I will vouch for this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I believe an update at the beginning of December was reported as stopping the WLAN AutoConfig service and the latest one(s) rectified that.