New Lounger
    Thanks

Mystery Win 10 update last night leaves Error Message: "Fingerprinit Software Error"

Last night my PC had a "Windows 10 update (2 numbered updates actually) pushed onto it which paralyzed the computer until I ran RESTORE, but even then it left the recurring message, "Fingerprint Software Error: an internal error occurs (rpnp2: no-svr(0000001_provmgrserver). Did anyone else have this problem? If "yes," how did you resolve it?

Separate issue: Does anyone know how to turn off the Locking feature on the File Explorer? It tends to lock into the identical spot a 2nd copy of the 1st copy, making access difficult although if I wait long enough it will unlock. Other than those two items I have had no problems with Win 10 and like it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How can anyone think that Windows 10 is usable for ordinary folk ??? Paraphrase: "other than being paralyzed, it works fine".

There are many other examples of which real difficulties with home networking figuring highly.

OK, OK, sorry to intrude in your post but this OS is simply not fit for purpose - yet. It feels to me like a beta, which it would be a bit rude to push down ordinary users' throats.

Flame off

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mystery Win 10 updates, & question about how to UnLock File Explorer duplicates

Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    How can anyone think that Windows 10 is usable for ordinary folk ??? Paraphrase: "other than being paralyzed, it works fine".

There are many other examples of which real difficulties with home networking figuring highly.

OK, OK, sorry to intrude in your post but this OS is simply not fit for purpose - yet. It feels to me like a beta, which it would be a bit rude to push down ordinary users' throats.

Flame off
    [Is this where I am supposed to respond?] Point well made and taken, but Win 10 was working "just fine" from Sept-Dec 2015, until the Updates were pushed. I had to RESTORE the OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for taking my off-subject comments in the right spirit, and sorry if I've distracted from your Locking problem

I have a nagging suspicion that the "continual, forced updates" model will only work in the dreamland where everyone has up-to-date hardware and application versions all the time and/or has deep technical skills . . .

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may have to reinstate the driver.

The easiest way to do this would be in Device Manager by right clicking on it and select Uninstall - but do not check the box to include software.

Then click on Action - Scan for hardware changes and it should reinstate.

Failing that, you would need to go to the computer support site and download the driver package afresh.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If this is a driver issue, then it's not a Win10 problem, per se. Drivers have always been one of the biggest headaches for Windows, particularly when it comes to updates. Probably always will be and I doubt there's a simple solution.

The fundamental problem is that if there is an OS update that effects a particular driver, you may have to update the driver either first or at the same time as the OS update. But you may well not know you have a driver that needs updating until it stops working after the OS update.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For me, I'll be sticking with Win 7 until 2020 and hopefully by then, Win 10 will no longer be a beta subject to all sorts of things going wrong for current users.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2015-12-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My conclusion too.