Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can C:\Users\<Name> be changed?

A friend was interested in getting a laptop to experiment with. I sold her my old one as I had gotten a new one (sorry I did now as I loved that old Toshiba.) I changed the owner name. She then bugged me to change the computer name--I figured out how to do that and the computer name is changed. Now for some reason she is bugging me to change the name of the directory "C:\Users\<My name> from my name to hers. Is this possible?

I searched the registry and found that there are not too many entries for C:\Users\<My name>. If I rename the directory in My Computer and then change all references in the registry will I be OK? Will everything still work properly? I don't mind putting in the work for my friend but neither do I want to screw anything up. I have had some minor problems with Windows 10 but all-in-all things have been working rather well.

Any help would be appreciated

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Create a new user with her name, giving it admin privileges, then log on as her and delete your user. Check that the required software still works.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the late reply--I got caught up in Christmas and a visit to my granddaughter in NC.
    Thanks Paul. I'll give it a try and see if it works.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may need to move and files created My Documents is stored under the user name.
    Settings for mail etc may also be affected.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Still need name change or create new legacy name

>> Create a new user with her name, giving it admin privileges, then log on as her and delete your user. Check that
    >> the required software still works.
    >> cheers, Paul

I have a similar problem, that the above *apparently* will not solve. Our network workgroup uses username/password access between the various machines for shared resources. Our usernames are simple things like "Fred" or "Elvira." One of the new machines, just set up for Windows 10 Pro, has the admin account "Elvira-W10". This means that every time the user on that machine wants a file from another machine, they are asked for the file name and password, instead of it simply being automatic. The option was used to change the user name to simply "Elvira" - and the login screen at startup now indeed shows the user as "Elvira". However, it appears to make no difference other than that simple startup user display - the *real* username remains Elvira-W10, and a look in c:\users indeed shows Elvira-W10 for the path.

Unfortunately, creating a new admin name under Windows 10 (as you suggest) does not seem to give us the option to create a legacy name like "Elvira" - only a pin or email address.

A solution to EITHER would solve our problem - although the former would be preferable. Any ideas???

Thanks
    Can you activate and access the built-in administrator account? I have done so on my Windows 7 Pro. I do not know if such an account exists within Windows 10, hence, my question. If such an adimin acct exists, can be accessed, perhaps another admin acct/new computer owner's acct can be created, then the old previous owner's acct can be first demoted to standard, then deleted on 2nd-pass [after restarting]. I just now remembered there is an Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3 or 4 for Windows 10, that just might come in handy once any existing user/admin acct activates UWT3 or 4.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-12-31 at 21:33.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jknox View Post
    ...I have a similar problem, that the above *apparently* will not solve...
    Sounds like you're confusing "user name" with "computer name", i.e.: "computer name" is set in the "Control Panel\System" dialog.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Sounds like you're confusing "user name" with "computer name", i.e.: "computer name" is set in the "Control Panel\System" dialog.
    No... The computer name is set just fine. [And remember, the computer name does not even have a password!]

As I explained earlier, the "create new user" allows you to create a new user, complete with a user name and password. In Windows 7, for example, you could create a new user with a user name such as "Fred," which was also the name of the account In Windows 10 such an account will continue forward across an upgrade. Further, if one looks under C:\user\... there will be the appropriate folder and subfolders for that user stored under that name. [C:\users\Fred\...

However, if you wish to create a NEW user in Windows 10, it appears that new users have to be created under either an email address or pin. Hence, you can NOT truly create a new user account with a name like "Fred." What you *can* do is create a new user account Fred_Jones@GMail.com. You can then change the *user name* to be just "Fred" - but it appears that the *only* thing that does is change what is displayed on the startup screen. There is NO change at all to the actual user account, and there will be no "C:\Users\Fred\...". So when you then attempt to access (from the Windows 10 machine) a file on another Windows 7 machine with an account "Fred" - the two don't match. [This is basically what the original poster was also addressing - changing the underlying account.]

Note that attempting to create a new account still won't help - unless you know a way around the new account (name) creation limitations.

[Note: I fear that the *only* solution may be to completely change every user name on every machine in our network. But I was hoping that someone would have a less egregious suggestion.]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, jknox.
    Paying special attention to the area near the bottom of each window:
    Look for "Add someone else to this PC" and left-click on it.
    Look for "I don't have this person's sign-in information" and left-click on it.
    Look for "Add a user without a Microsoft account" and left-click on it.

Doesn't that do what you want?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Hi, jknox.
    Paying special attention to the area near the bottom of each window:
    Look for "Add someone else to this PC" and left-click on it.
    Look for "I don't have this person's sign-in information" and left-click on it.
    Look for "Add a user without a Microsoft account" and left-click on it.

Doesn't that do what you want?
    YES!!!! That did it.

I tried that "path" before, but gave up too soon. I did the "don't have that person's info," but when it then wanted a bunch of other information, I gave up. Didn't see the "without a uSoft account."

Much appreciate the information - thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.
    I found it only because I was convinced it was possible, and was determined to find out how.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad JKnox got his problem solved. Thanks again Paul T for your response. I have decided not to go through with this change as it really isn't necessary. I spoke to the lady in question and convinced her that it really doesn't matter whose name is on the folder. She agreed (reluctantly.) I have learned through the years that bad things happen with computers. And in many cases those bad things happen when you are doing something that does not have to be done. So, I am washing my hands of this one. Thanks again.