5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

partition-email-backup question

I hope this is the right area to ask my question.
    I run a W7 SP1 desktop system; and use Windows LIve Mail (and Hotmail) as my email client.
    I use the paid version of Macrium for taking images.
    My question has to do with whether I should use a separate partition for my email client, or leave it where it is currently installed on my C:\ drive where Windows resisdes.

I have recently had some issues with WLM where I've had to restore my C:\drive image.
    That gets me back up and running, but my email is out of date based on how old the image was I had to use to restore my system with.

My question also has to do with what happens if I move WLM to a separate partiton, and then have to restore with an WLM image to recover my email client. Will WLM somehow be "out of sync" with Windows, which has not been restored in this scenario?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    My advice is not to rely on imaging to save something such as mail, that varies much more frequently than most data on your computer.

On Windows 7, most like your Windows Live Mail data is most likely stored in C:\Users\ YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail. I would suggest that you copy these folders regularly to somewhere safe and then restore it when you need to.

I don't use WLM, but I follow a similar strategy for my Outlook .pst files. I have a batch file that copies my .pst file to a backup folder, from where a backup app copies it to my OneDrive. This means i get a fresh copy of my email messages whenever I boot (or whenever I choose to run the batch file, if I haven't rebooted for a while).

My opinion is also that imaging as the main backup strategy is fine (and I use it), but as I don't want to image every single day, imaging needs to be complemented with file based backups, which is what I recommend to keep your email safe between successive images.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2015-12-19)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Schedule Macrium to backup the WLM folder daily to another location and you can restore as often as you require. You can use incremental to reduce the backup size, hopefully.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2015-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Dick,

I use RoboForm to take care of this situation run via a Batch File fired by a Scheduled Task that runs while I watch the evening news:

Here's the Batch File:
    Code:
    Echo Off
    REM  Updated: 12/29/14
    Echo.  -------- Copying BEKDocs to N: drive -------
    Robocopy "G:\BEKDocs" "N:\BEKDocs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG+:G:\BEKDocs\Batch\BackupTasks\RoboCopy.log 
    Echo.  -------- Copy Completed              -------
    I use Outlook and have moved Outlook.pst file directory along w/all of my Documents to the G: drive which makes the task that much easier although you could easily use multiple RoboCopy lines to catch directories from all over the place. The N: drive is a secondary HDD in my box. Of course I still do my bi-weekly Macrium Reflect Images.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2015-12-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Dick,

I use RoboForm to take care of this situation run via a Batch File fired by a Scheduled Task that runs while I watch the evening news:

Here's the Batch File:
    Code:
    Echo Off
    REM  Updated: 12/29/14
    Echo.  -------- Copying BEKDocs to N: drive -------
    Robocopy "G:\BEKDocs" "N:\BEKDocs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG+:G:\BEKDocs\Batch\BackupTasks\RoboCopy.log 
    Echo.  -------- Copy Completed              -------
    I use Outlook and have moved Outlook.pst file directory along w/all of my Documents to the G: drive which makes the task that much easier although you could easily use multiple RoboCopy lines to catch directories from all over the place. The N: drive is a secondary HDD in my box. Of course I still do my bi-weekly Macrium Reflect Images.

HTH
    But we knew what you meant

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    David,

As Kermit the frog says "It ain't easy being green!" or in my case "old!"
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs