Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Fix for transferring old HP 882C printer driver

Hi,

I'm one of the many who have an old HP printer that HP no longer provide Win7 drivers for (it's a Deskjet 880C - same as the 882C). I'm running W7x64.

I did have a driver for Win7 until my hard drive gave up on me at the beginning of the year. I had downloaded it from the HP website probably in 2013 or so. Once I installed the new HDD, the printer no longer worked and did not show up in the list of HP printers. The driver has since been removed from the HP website.

Fortunately, I still have a copy of the old drive on my home server and I have been looking through the System32/Driverstore/File repository directory and comparing the two drives.

On the old drive I have a directory named prnhp001.inf_amd64_neutral_081cf2b90ec9e6d5, which is missing on the new one. It contains the files required to drive the 882. I'm thinking of just copying this directory to the File repository directory.

However, will this add the 882 to the list of proposed printers? If not, will I be able to choose a different HP printer (say the 910 or 915) and choose the 882 driver manually?

I wanted to get some information before going ahead and potentially hosing the whole set-up.

Thanks
    Last edited by Marp; 2015-12-21 at 06:52.

jwoods
    Create a System Restore point first.

You might try downloading and installing the Windows Vista drivers and see if that works.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...uct=61607#N191

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Create a System Restore point first.

You might try downloading and installing the Windows Vista drivers and see if that works.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...uct=61607#N191
    All I get is a video telling me what a driver is....

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Marp View Post
    All I get is a video telling me what a driver is....
    See Click (+) to find and select the download below on the page.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe my browser is different to yours, but when I click the '+', I just get a film...

Capture5.JPG

jwoods
    Your browser is fine...see the highlighted section Driver - Product Installation Software

Underneath that is the link you want to click on.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you mean "Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution", it just leads to instructions for installing via Windows Update on Win10.

I don't have the option "My printer isn't listed" in Win7, so I am limited to the printers that are listed. I've already tried to select another HP printer (910) and done a search via Windows Update for a driver but it says there is no driver for my OS...

That's how I got to the stage of considering a transplant.

(Thanks for your patience BTW...!)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Marp View Post
    If you mean "Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution", it just leads to instructions for installing via Windows Update on Win10.
    There are steps below that video that explains how to install the built-in driver for Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, or XP.

Did you go through those?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If your printer icon displays in Devices and Printers - right click on it and select Printer Properties then under the Advanced tab, does it show anything similar for my Epson where you can click on New Driver which invokes an install wizard which may find one.

Epson.PNG

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did try that, but it said "either no driver has been installed or none is required" (I've deleted the printer since to start again from scratch). But I ended up with the printer with the usual exclamation mark showing against it or a black icon that I have never seen before. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow, getting late and had enough going round in circles for one day.

I'll let you know if my work-around works.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Rummaging through the link that JW posted, found this bit which installs the Printer Install Wizard which may find your driver.

You need to scroll down and click on the Can I use the Printer Install Wizard to find my driver.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...sw_lang=#N1285

EDIT - When you come back, can you post a snip where it shows the black icon.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-12-19 at 18:58.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    However, will this add the 882 to the list of proposed printers?
    No, I don't believe it will add to that list. You can try it on the theory of Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. My experience has been that no user action extends the list of bundled Windows drivers. I'll go further and say that generally speaking, copying individual printer driver files from one system to another is also completely ineffective. You need.

However if that folder contains a complete driver install system, you might still have a chance. Ask Windows to perform a manual driver install. When presented with the option, select "Have Disk...", then browse to the folder you've manually copied over. If you're really, really lucky, Windows might accept the install. I see a tiny glimmer of hope in the fact that the files you mentioned might have included an INF file. Read literally it isn't an INF file but it's presence and name hints that one might be present.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I checked Device Manager/Action/Add legacy hardware and while it had a number of HP printers listed, the 880 wasn't among them.

I don't know if that was because of Locale specific but you could contact HP to see if they have any legacy drivers suitable for Win 7.

http://www8.hp.com/fr/fr/contact-hp/contact.html

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Ok, so the hack WORKED!

I have an old laptop running XP, which I knew worked perfectly with the 880C, so I plugged the printer into that and printed a test page. The test page shows all the driver specs.

I then did a search on the XP machine and found the folder containing the driver files. I copied that folder from the Windows\System32\Driverstore\File repository folder to the equivalent folder on my Win7 laptop.

Then (the 880C having been deleted from the list of printers) I plugged in the printer. Win7 recognized the 880C and installed the USB driver, but not the printer driver (printer shown with a yellow triangle). In the printer properties, I clicked on "update driver" and then changed the driver suggested by Win7 (starts with 'hpsamd.inf'...) by browsing to the folder I had copied.

The driver installed ok and I now have the 880C working on my Win7 laptop with the XP driver.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marp For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-12-23)