5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 Default Printer

Win10 will now change your default printer to the last one used. Might be handy for some but could be a PITA for others.

The Nov update added a switch to allow you to choose to change that back to the Win7 method

I just ran across this. There is a way to change this back to the old way if you haven't done the Nov update:
    http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/r...ovember-update
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-12-20 at 09:14.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Win10 will now change your default printer to the last one used. Might be handy for some but could be a PITA for others.

The Nov update added a switch to allow you to choose to change that back to the Win7 method

I just ran across this. There is a way to change this back to the old way if you haven't done the Nov update:
    http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/r...ovember-update
    I just found that out when reports and work orders kept coming out of my check printer trashing expensive computer checks!

I would change the printer back but didn't know why I had to do that.

Why would someone have more than one printer unless they were loaded with different forms?

Arrogant and rude behavior if you ask me!

At least I now know how to fix it.

Don in Austin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There were a number of decisions in Win8 and Win10 that seem to have come from the mobile side of the development team. If you are using a mobile device, then using the last printer is probably a reasonable assumption. I can make a better argument for each program keeping track of it's last printer and using that as a default, but that's still not a whole solution.

The big problem is that we have years of experience doing things a particular way. If the software engineers think they have a better way then it should be added via a setting that we can switch on if we want to use it. What you don't do is to introduce the new feature as the default and fail to provide a switch to turn it off - that's a real amateur mistake and I can't believe it made it though QA testing.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Eventually we'll have no choices. We'll have to do what 'they' say.
    George

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    If you are using a mobile device, then using the last printer is probably a reasonable assumption. I can make a better argument for each program keeping track of it's last printer and using that as a default, but that's still not a whole solution.
    I am curious as to your reasoning for the first, I would think a mobile device might be around a multitude of printers. I do like the idea of the program keeping track, so do.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Am I the only one that has three printers in my office because the trays contain different things?

1--Plain paper -- This was, and is again (NOT MUCH THANKS TO MICROSOFT) the DEFAULT printer.

2--Checks -- this is for printing checks out of Quickbooks only.

3--Pre-printed repair order forms for my automotive shop repair customers' receipts.

4--If I had artistic talent I would have a 4th printer loaded with photo-quality paper.

But why multiple printers all loaded with plain paper? Or if so, why would it matter which one the print job came out of?

Don