Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a cheek !

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What a cheek !

I had hidden KB3035583 but for some reason it reappeared in my Important Updates.

The short description offered is Install this update to resolve issues in Windows which is simply a lie.

More information says This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness, which is also less than the whole truth.

Is there a way to make this update stay hidden (preferably forever) ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had it hidden more than once and MS keeps fiddling with it so it shows backup.
    Joe

Thanks
    Yup got it on two boxes today!
    and see
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1036966

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Boy, am I glad I quit using Windows Update years ago. Windows Update has become a disaster.

For me it reached that point a few years ago, before the current GWX debacle. For about 3 years now, I've been turning Windows Update completely OFF on all the systems I regularly support. I gave up on the "Let me choose" option when MS started sneaking certain updates by and auto-installing despite the "Let me choose" setting. Turning WU completely off seems to have prevented that kind of problem, though I'm not entirely confident MS can't still slip something through if it wants.

In lieu of Windows Update, I've been instead using WSUS Offline Update. One key feature of WSUS Offline is the ability to blacklist updates you don't ever want installed. So rather than playing cat-and-mouse games with Windows Update, I just blacklist them (in wsusoffline\client\exclude\ExcludeList.txt) and they never get installed.

I've been using WSUS Offline Update and its predecessor, CT Update, for around 10 years to easily bring a clean install up to date, or for updating customers' computers onsite when they have a bad or slow internet connection. In recent years, though, I've taken to also using it on all computers in lieu of online updating entirely.

The principle behind WSUS Offline Update is that you cache copies of all Windows updates ("Important" updates only, not the optional ones) on an external USB drive or flash drive, then use that to update other machines when desired. I have updates for all consumer versions of Windows 2000 through 8.1, plus Office versions from 2000-2013 on a 32GB flash drive.

I run updategenerator.exe every 3-4 months to keep the cache moderately up to date--usually at the end of the month, on the theory that if the most recent "Second Tuesday" pushed a particularly bad update there's more chance the update would have been pulled before I update my WSUS Offline cache.

While some might argue that my delayed-install strategy doesn't get legitimate updates installed in a timely manner, for me that's an acceptable tradeoff. Historically, my system has proven to be at greater risk from Microsoft than from random hackers on the internet. Given the number of bad updates MS has pushed out in recent years, I prefer to let others be the guinea pigs before I install an update on my system.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2015-12-20),mrjimphelps (2015-12-21),Rhinoceros (2015-12-22)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well with MS constantly trying to force Windows 10 on people whether they want it or not will probably result in a lot of people with Windows 7 and 8 disabling Windows update. I think part of the reason MS is pushing it so hard is they are in a similar mess like they made with XP. Many businesses have just switched to Windows 7 this past year or so. Windows 8 was basically a dog like Vista.
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    8 isn't the horrible mess that Vista was, but its interface leaves quite a lot to be desired.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - as there doesn't seems to be a way to stop MS invading my PC I have decided to turn off updates.

It's not something I've done lightly, but I've researched the possible consequences and I have other many protections in place. A system I once trusted to help my security has been subverted to help MS's bottom line and I'm not playing that game.

I don't feel particularly at risk (other than from MS itself !) and will continue to be vigilant in case they find an even sneakier way of pushing their unfinished product down my throat.

Now I can relax and get on with my life.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-12-21 at 06:36.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Same here, I noticed KB3035583 was suddenly back in the list again. I've had WU set to advise but not install up to now but I've switched it off completely and will manually check updates one by one in future.

Like others have said I'm more concerned with Microsoft infecting my pc at the moment and as I have a number of security products in place and use NoScript for browsing, it's become an acceptable risk

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've opted to leave updates on, can't be too careful, then vet them and run GWX Control Panel to be sure.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes it sounds as if the bus driver has had a stroke and is lying in the aisle being trampled by all the student drivers fighting to be the one driving the bus. One has grabbed the wheel, another has the gas, and a third has the gear shift. And a cliff is rapidly approaching.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the link to WSUS, I'd never heard of it. I'm using Win 7 and have no intention of getting Win 10, ever. However, maybe you could answer one question about WSUS: When I run it will it download ALL updates back to Day 0? If so I'd better leave it running overnight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros
    When I run it will it download ALL updates back to Day 0? If so I'd better leave it running overnight.
    Yes, it will download all updates, except for the ones which have been superceded. WSUS Offline uses WGET and is fast to download (obviously dependent on your connection speed) so you shouldn't have to leave it running all night... especially if you download just the updates for Windows 7. (I suggest you also get the updates for C++ Runtime Libraries/.NET Frameworks and "include Service Packs".) Once the download has finished, you can copy just the Client folder to a USB stick for portability, as this folder contains all you need to update other PCs.

Another tip: Make sure you tick the checkbox marked Verify downloaded updates. The verification is fast and saves a lot of grief later.

After using WSUS Offline for years, one tip I wished I'd known sooner is this: If you ever get the download script failing with an error message of ERROR: File integrity verification failure just delete the contents of .\client\md (it's a collection of text files containing hashes) and re-run the UpdateGenerator. This will download new text files.

Note that if you download updates for several versions of Windows and Office then the WSUS Ofline folder can get quite big. I've just updated and mine's currently 20 Gb without creating the optional ISO files and USB client folder.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-12-22 at 16:12. Reason: Added more info

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that quick response. I have a pretty good connection, 180MB/sec, I only need Win 7 and will get the others you suggest. So I'll get started...

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    one question about WSUS: When I run it will it download ALL updates back to Day 0? If so I'd better leave it running overnight.
    Correct. It caches all active updates so it can be used to update whatever system you choose--even a new, clean install. Only active "Important" updates are downloaded. WSUS Offline skips "Recommended" updates and old updates that have been superceded or are obsolete. (In fact, if a previously cached update is superceded, WSUS Offline can subsequently remove it from the cache.)

It first downloads a cabinet file, wsusscn2.cab. This is evidently a master file cataloging all currently active KBs for all OS's and Office versions. I think WSUS Offline's "UpdateGenerator" compares that list to your local WSUS Offline cache (if you've previously downloaded updates) and then downloads and/or deletes files to/from the local cache to match the master catalog.

When you run "UpdateInstaller" to update a particular computer, it again consults wsusscn2.cab and compares it to the system on which it's being run, and applies any missing updates without user intervention. Other than using a pre-emptive ExcludeList.txt, at no point does it stop to let you select/reject specific updates.

Those who would prefer to have individual control over each update might want to take a look at Portable Update instead, an alternative to WSUS Offline. Personally, I have no interest in micro-managing the update process so I've been happy with WSUS Offline, but from screenshots Portable Update apparantly scans the target computer and pauses to show checkboxes of missing updates, from which the user can specify exactly which updates to install.

From any working Windows machine, start by downloading the WSUS Offline Update program. This is a no-install program, so just drag the "wsusoffline" folder out of the zipfile and copy it to any convenient place, such as a flash drive or external USB drive. Support for 32-bit XP seems to have been dropped in v9.3, so download v9.2.1 or earlier from the WSUS download page if you want to include updates for 2000, XP, or Office 2000-2003. (Note: because it's a no-install program, there's no reason you can't keep more than one version on your external drive--one for older OS's and one for new.)

Launch the folder's updategenerator.exe file. Tick the OS and Office versions for which you want updates. If using v9.2.1, tick XP and/or Office 2003 on the [Legacy products] tab. Click [Start] to download all updates to the external drive. The first time you do this, it will take quite some time to download everything, so the faster your internet connection, the better. The more versions you tick the longer it will take, so plan on many hours for the initial download.

(IME, some AV programs can slow downloads to a crawl. For best results, I temporarily disable AV while updategenerator is downloading.)

After downloading is finished attach the external drive to a machine you want to update, and launch the wsusoffline\client\updateinstaller.exe file to start the update process. It will still take a lot of time to install the updates, but at least you won't be sitting around waiting for it to also download every update before installing.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-12-22),Rick Corbett (2015-12-22),wavy (2015-12-24)

Thanks
    To give you an idea of size, the updates are as follows:

Win 7 x32 (w61 folder) - 1.2 Gb
    Win 7 x64 (w61-x64 folder) - 1.13 Gb
    C++ Runtime Libraries (cpp folder) : 86 Mb
    .NET (dotnet folder) : 439 Mb

Hope this helps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast