Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 10 Can Auto-Remove Software Against Your Will

Thanks
    I had two utilities auto-removed, one I hardly ever use, but the other I have used frequently. I did a little searching, and the only actual removal were registry entries and Start Menu entries. Everything else was still in place. I ran a re-install, and both work just fine.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Even though I got the original 10240 win 10 update on 8/4/15, I have never received the 1511 update. I still get all the other updates though. I guess I should count my blessings on the 1511 upgrade so far.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It is not as much what is removed as what is changed here. OK, I lost Ccleaner, reinstalled it. I also lost the old Calculator, ditto.

What really bugs me is that most of the printers are deleted and hard to reinstall but the main itch is the Workgroup permissions and settings. They reset it to Workgroup, not my named LAN and also they set it to a Business mode when I am at Home, ie : private.

I can always get them back but why do this ??? A lot of users would not know what to do and where to seek the changes.

Have a Merry. Jean.

jwoods
    Miccrosoft was pretty clear from the start that some applications would be removed...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Granted, but why say that Ccleaner is no longer available ??? It still is !

Have a Merry. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Granted, but why say that Ccleaner is no longer available ??? It still is !

Have a Merry. Jean.
    I have upgraded many times, and Ccleaner has remained intact.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's difficult to tell without digging through the citations in that article, but I believe that at least one is referring to an upgrade from Win7 or Win8 to Win10 rather than the Nov upgrade to Win10.

If it's the Nov upgrade, then it needs to be clear if the reports relate to machines that were previously upgraded from an earlier version.

Here's the thing - I'm not trying to defend MS for their poor judgement, far from it. But there have been a few too many Chicken Little reports flying around lately.

To be fair to everyone, it's important to understand exactly what is happening under what circumstances. If some people are having a problem that others aren't then there are probably differences in how the two systems are configured and it's important to understand what those differences are.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-12-22 at 08:47.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    If some people are having a problem that others aren't then there are probably differences in how the two systems are configured...
    Which likely accounts for most issues...

Each consumer system is actually "customized", so there is really no such thing as a "standard" install/upgrade, except in the features being installed or upgraded.

Corporate systems are more locked-down, and lend themselves to standardization (if you have a problem, your system is wiped and installed with the standard corporate image).

Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    ...and it's important to understand what those differences are.
    Which is often impossible, due to the level of customization on a consumer system, unless there are similarities across the board.

There were a few posts recently where the 1511 upgrade removed Windows 7 games, just as 10240 did at the outset.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-21 at 18:47.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This is plainly stupid. EULA or not, removing legitimate installed apps is unacceptable. I don't like the course 10 is taking. Updates that cannot be stopped, apps that are removed by Windows Updates... It's my system, not Microsoft's and no, they cannot be trusted to know better.

I may stick with 8.1. Whoever decided this was the way to go didn't really think clearly, as far as I am concerned.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    There were a few posts recently where the 1511 upgrade removed Windows 7 games, just as 10240 did at the outset.
    I saw that just today on a lady's computer, plugged in my Thumb drive, copied the install file to her computer and ran it. There was a choice to Repair and I did that, worked fine and got the games back for her. The only program I had on one of my computers after the upgrade to Win10 that had an issue was AVG antivirus, just had to be reinstalled. It originally had Vista which I upgraded to Win7 then to Win10, lady had gotten a new computer and this one was too good just to discard.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I have upgraded many times, and Ccleaner has remained intact.
    This Ghacks article has a few comments that CCleaner was removed by 1511...

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/24/bew...automatically/

Thanks
    CCleaner allows its users to do stupid things. "My PC is bluescreening but there are no minidumps!" is a pretty common complaint, usually from users who have CCleaner or some similar utility set to run at boot, others because they use CCleaner etc. way too often and without understanding what each checkbox is for.

MS need feedback via telemetry from the minidumps and numerous Windows logs, most of which can be removed automatically at boot by CCleaner. Without that feedback, they will struggle to find and push fixes specific to your errors/bugs.

Thanks
    Symantec (Norton Internet Security) does not like this thread!!! (I had to disable it to post this response)

Screen Shot 12-22-15 at 02.54 PM.JPG
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Symantec (Norton Internet Security) does not like this thread!!! (I had to disable it to post this response)
    Report it to Symantec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast