3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I get rid of this drive

I have an older Fanta external hard drive. It has been busted for a couple of years. Basically, it keeps starting/stopping. I have since replaced it with two much better (also more storage) external hard drives.

Now, I would like to discard this drive. It has some backups from a few years ago, with information I would not want to get into the wrong hands (financial/tax information). I cannot wipe the drive because it does cut in and out. So, basically, it reboots every 20 seconds or so.

I don't want it anymore.

I need to get it crushed, physically or???

Any siggestions?

Mel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mel,

Disassemble the drive case to get to the actual drive.
    Take the drive itself apart and remove the platters. This may require special screwdrivers. Or you can drill them out (wear protective eye gear).
    Once you have the platters out take a nail or other sharp object and scratch the heck out of them from center to outer rim.

At this point it would take more money than it would be worth to try to get any data from the drives.

If you're still paranoid about it you can (again wearing protective eye gear) place the disk between two 2x4s and smash them with ha hammer.

Still paranoid... distribute the pieces in your trash for the next several pickups.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

jwoods
    Our Goodwill stores now accept computers and peripherals for recycling.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am unable to take it apart. There are no screws that I can see and it is a very strong metal case

Mel

jwoods
    A local machine shop would probably drill it for you for a nominal fee.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Or - you could place it on a non-conductive surface - find a way to hook it up to the mains - switch all other appliances off then hit the switch.

It should go off with a bang and probably trip your circuit breakers, but sure as hell fry the circuit board making it equally expensive to recover the data from it.

Thanks
    Pour some thermite on it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-12-23)

Thanks
    The screws are likely Torx and under labels. A 9 pound sledge will do a good job on it. Do you have an out door fireplace?....

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    I am unable to take it apart. There are no screws that I can see and it is a very strong metal case Mel
    With any good sized hammer, with the HD on any parking lot surface near the trashcans, beat the high holey heaven-on-earth out of it. Then, when you see holes, put it into a bucket of bad water for days. That should do it. Or, if you know the local godfodda, have 'im giv' it a cement burial in the riva, and the HD will sleep wit' the fishes forever.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-12-22 at 18:15.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh I like the thermite suggestion! But, [I think I got the adjustments and tenses correct since this was originally instructions for multiple drive crazy paranoid post encrypted and zero wiped disposal. But also for DOA drives.]

OK, here is a 100% NSA can't touch this method:

This is dangerous! Wear safety glasses. DO THIS OUTSIDE in a backyard away (fumes, LOTS OF FUMES) from anything you don't want damaged. The grass will suffer in this area.

1. Break open up the hard drive. Personally I do it by disassembly, but a hammer (wearing safety glasses) will do. I generally remove the firmware (little circuit board on bottom -- discard unless you have an identical drive still working). I will discard any parts (lid, screws, I can pull off). But either the platter(s) and or the platters with some of the hard drive assembly are prepared for the next step.

2. Wearing safety glasses and gloves, in a plastic bucket or make shift container (a plastic one gallon milk carton with the top cut off works - and can be chucked later), I add an approximate inch and a half of pool acid (muriatic, hydrochloric) or sulphuric acid per hard drive to be nuked.

3. I have a hose standing by already primed with water and ready to go.

4. I have baking soda standing by.

5. Wearing safety glasses and gloves, I drop the first hard drive in and run like heck away. One, there is the possibility of getting splashed by acid. So wear clothes you don't care about. Two, if you do get some acid on you, wash it off with water and apply a paste made of baking soda to the area. Hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid will not burn badly if remove right away, and neutralizing it with baking soda will minimize that acid burn even more. If it gets on your clothes rinse as fast a possible to minimize holes eaten in your clothes. Wash and treat the area of skin under the clothing first, before saving clothing. The hard drive's platters (magnetic coating) will violently react with the acid. Irreparable and unrecoverable burn off will be completed in seconds. Let it sit for at least five minutes.

This is an exothermic reaction -- meaning temperatures of the solution will grow rapidly hot -- and containers can melt (deform) though I have never had one burn through.

6. Once the reaction has calmed down, approach the area wearing safety glasses and gloves and add some baking soda, which will violently bubble up at first so don't get splashed and be prepared to jump back -- until it stops bubbling on addition...will be several applications.

7. Once adding baking soda no longer produces bubbling (acid neutralization) fill the bucket up with water, and let the water flow rinse out contents well for several minutes, and dilute the grassy area as well. Rinse off bottoms of shoes later.

Discard platters/drives in trash.

Nobody on the planet using any method can recover a byte of data from any platters so treated, as long as the acid reached all areas of the platter for even a brief bit of time the data layer will be oxidized.

OK, the acid part is not as violent as I paint but I want people to avoid even minor acid burns/damage. The baking soda is pretty exciting however.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-12-23 at 12:11.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-12-24)

Thanks
    FN you are a nut case.

You forgot to mention save those cool RareEarth magnets!!

Now do I know anybody w/ a pool? ....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Pour some thermite on it!
    Ha Ha! I don't think these hard drives are quite as hard to kill as Terminators.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This turned into a pretty funny thread.

Got out a lot of aggressions, I think!

Mel

Thanks
    Hey, dis is Barlon Mando, I hoid youse 'ave a hard-drive that needs to sleep wit the fishes. Lemmie know, we 'ave Portland waitin' for it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/