Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should I put KB's back pre Win 10 install

I kept a list of all the Windows updates that had to do with upgrading to Windows 10 and so far I have not been badgered, but my question is this. Should I "unhide" KB3035583, KB2952664, KB3075249, etc., etc., if I do the upgrade?

On the other hand, if I change Windows settings to allow the OS to download and install all important updates to my Win 8.1 install, that would have the same results and accomplish the necessary updating to my current PC to allow a Win10 Pro install? Thanks
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2015-12-22 at 08:48.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes - change your update settings to Auto and unhide them where it will run a check for updates before they are re-offered - but given current problems with the side effects of updates, it may be worth waiting a while longer until you see less requests for help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2015-12-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much.

I still have a tough time dealing with how Win 10 does updates. On my laptop which is my play machine for experimentation and such, I allowed the Win10 update and just "let 'er rip" which was a mistake, but this machine is my desktop and my tactics will have to be different, if I do it at all.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You have until July next year to decide so there's no rush.

I think the tempter is that after that date you would have to pay for it even though your current OS is supported until 2023 and that you may be quite happy with it.

My laptops are Win 7 and for me there's nothing that I do in Win 7 that I can do better in Win 10 and while I'll have extended warranty on both to 2020 - 21, when Win 7 is no longer supported I'll probably buy a Win 10 machine if I'm still around and not gaga.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Many people seem concerned about updating to Windows 10 while it is free. They should consider how often they've upgraded their OS in the past. The vast majority of users get a new version of Windows when they get a new PC. Most people should not worry about the upgrade just for the sake of a free upgrade. If you can reasonably see yourself getting a new machine by 2020 and are satisfied with your current OS just leave it alone.

Joe

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Many people seem concerned about updating to Windows 10 while it is free. They should consider how often they've upgraded their OS in the past. The vast majority of users get a new version of Windows when they get a new PC. Most people should not worry about the upgrade just for the sake of a free upgrade. If you can reasonably see yourself getting a new machine by 2020 and are satisfied with your current OS just leave it alone.

Joe
    Agreed.

I would rather pay for a finished product, than lose time (and money) trying to get an unfinished free product to work the way I need it to.

Administrator
    Thanks
    "Windows 10 is not finished" is a red herring. No OS is ever a finished product. In my experience since October 2014 Windows 10 is very solid. No system crashes. Occasional video driver crashes that are recovered without a re-boot. Programs and apps are solid. With Microsoft's change in OS servicing I expect Windows 10 to continue to improve more quickly than prior releases.

Joe

jwoods
    "Windows 10 is not finished" is a red herring.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that.
    I'm saying that every version of Windows which is still supported is receiving fixes every month. Therefore, they are all unfinished. Windows 10 is somewhat different in that it is still in active feature development. Microsoft has changed the servicing so that new features and fixes are released when ready. That means as long as Windows 10 exists it will never be finished. Right now I believe that for most people Windows 10 is good enough for every day use. That does NOT mean that every upgrade will be successful. Most will, some won't. Not every piece of existing hardware will work because Microsoft is dependent on the hardware OEMs for drivers. Most hardware that works on Windows 8/8.1 will work. New machines with Windows 10 will run just fine. New peripheral hardware will work. If you saying Windows 10 is unsuitable for daily use please provide more details from your personal experience.

Joe

jwoods
    I understand what finished means in terms of development and sustaining software.

Putting "finished" in context, my definition is ready for everyday business use.

I don't think it is stable enough at this time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I understand what finished means in terms of development and sustaining software.

Putting "finished" in context, my definition is ready for everyday business use.

I don't think it is stable enough at this time.
    It is very easy to say some generic negative. Please provide details to support your reasoning. Why don't you think it is stable enough for everyday business use?

Joe

jwoods
    It is very easy to say some generic negative. Please provide details to support your reasoning. Why don't you think it is stable enough for everyday business use?

Joe
    It's also very easy to say some generic positive such as, "Right now I believe that for most people Windows 10 is good enough for every day use...", as you mentioned in post #9.

Bottom line, I don't need to explain or justify my reasons, to you.

I personally will not recommend it to business clients at this time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's also very easy to say some generic positive such as, "Right now I believe that for most people Windows 10 is good enough for every day use...", as you mentioned in post #9.

Bottom line, I don't need to explain or justify my reasons, to you.

I personally will not recommend it to business clients at this time.
    I generally try to back up my statements somewhere along the line with personal experience or posts from other sources to substantiate my position. In a prior post (#7) I stated that I have been using Windows 10 daily for over a year. I've used it on multiple PCs - a three year old HP notebook, a year old Surface Pro 3, a 6 month old dell Venue Pro 8, and a 7 year old Dell desktop. I've installed it on others and have heard a few questions but not problems. I also realize that mine is a small personal sample size.

You do not need to justify your reasoning to me. Nor do I want you to. IMO, to be taken seriously by other Loungers you need to do more than just spout opinion.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2015-12-23)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well written, Joe. My experience too for the last 14 months. Many computors upgraded and they all run fine. I do a little IT support for friends, 6 of them full time, and they all love W-10. Some driver problems but due to old devises. One can not expect MS to keep tabs on all that took place since the C=64.

Personalities are showing up and do not help any here.

Have a Merry. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-12-23 at 10:26.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, in that I started this thread, I must pipe up and say I have the following in the house: a MacBook Pro(mine), Win 7 laptop( the hub's); Win 7 desktop (the hub's); win 10 laptop(mine); Win 8.1 desktop(mine). Of all these little gems, I like my Win 8.1 desktop the best. It never crashes nor has it caused me issues; runs smoothly and I use a local account. I see no real need to give myself any additional headaches at this moment.

I had a tough time, my own doing I might add, with Win 10, putting it on a laptop that Toshiba said wasn't compatible with Win10, but it was after I fiddled with it. It runs okay, but I can't get over the update thing. I haven't had any issues with Win10 after I solved the problems that came with the install. It's okay, but it takes a lot of customization to satisfy my desire to phone home to M$oft as little as possible. I want to control my own PC even tho' M$oft may perceive some of its users to be idiots when it comes to updates, but I can assure you, I can be an idiot w/o their help. The decision of what goes on my PC should be mine.

So, the bottom line is, as of this moment, I see no pressing need to update to 10. I ask questions as I have them of the very knowledgeable and helpful folks here who have never let me down. I compile the info to assist in the event I do decide to go with Win10, I'll have a bunch of material to use as a reference. Anyhow, I enjoyed the discussion it this thread and appreciate OP's thoughts on the OS. BTW, to those who celebrate the season, Merry Christamas and Happy New Year.

Diane P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast