3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A problem with installing a program

I am trying to install a program, BBC-iPlayer-Downloads-1.14.2.msi. I double-click the file and the installation starts, then fails with a pop-up:

"Could not open key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion \Installer\Folders. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Yeah, well you guys are the best support personnel I know of, so this where I come every time. But wait, there's more... I have an Admin account, and a lowly user, non-admin one, and of course the top-secret Uber Admin too. I know I should use the non-Admin one for day to day work, but the hassle with permissions and ownership are a pain when trying to do anything like deleting, copying or moving files is a pain. So pretty much by default I use the Admin one all the time. And this is what I was using to install the iPlayer.msi. So I tried installing using the Ubber-Admin, and it worked. So then just to see what would happen if I used the non-Admin account I tried it again, and that worked too.

I have also noticed that some programs that I install using the Admin account are available when I'm in the non-Admin one, but not others, even though I select "Make available to all users" when there's a choice. Is there any way to make these programs available in the non-Admin account? If so I might be more inclined to use it. And why would I have "sufficient access" to the magic key in a non-Admin account, but not in an Administrator one?

Any suggestions much appreciated,

David

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The installation may have corrected a registry problem on your PC?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    While logged in with the non-Admin account, you should be able to right click on the file and choose "Run as Administrator". This should give you all of the advantages of the Admin account for this install, while in fact you are logged in as non-Admin.

I ALWAYS do my day-to-day work logged into the non-Admin account. If I need admin access for anything, it will popup and ask me for the admin password.

In the XP days, when installing something on a non-admin user's computer, it was often better to give the user's account admin rights, install the program logged in as that account, and then take away the admin rights. Everything worked better when you installed the program logged in as the user who would use the program, but often that user needed Admin rights in order to successfully complete the install. I don't recall ever needing to do all of that with Windows 7.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-12-23 at 11:14.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    . I know I should use the non-Admin one for day to day work, but the hassle with permissions and ownership are a pain when trying to do anything like deleting, copying or moving files is a pain. So pretty much by default I use the Admin one all the time
    FYI I used Runas in XP and once I have W7 set will do so in that. No need to run as admin all the time. I do not recall ever having a problem. I also have a short cut that opens Explorer as admin.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. Yes I'm sure that a non-Admin account is safer for day to day use, but I don't surf to strange places, never open attachments without scanning them first, often use a sandbox too, and never click on links in e-mails. I know about Run as Admin, but this isn't an option with this .msi file (nor any of the other .msi files I have in the Download folder). So that's why I started in the Admin account. Having failed I decided to up the ante and play hard-ball (to mix metaphors), and tried the Uber-Admin. It was only out of curiosity that I re-ran the .msi file in the non-Admin account, and to my surprise it worked too.

And in a non-Admin account there are situations where "Run as..." isn't applicable. Even in an Admin account there are nag screens, "You will have to give Admin permission..." (or words to that effect). Usually it's just a simple click on OK and the action is performed, surely any self-respecting hacker could have achieved that? But deleting some files, even moving files, can get you bogged down in questions of 'Ownership'. And even after "taking ownership" there are times when Big M$ won't let you delete or rename a file. My problem is that I started in DOS3.0 and I still think of myself as being the "owner" of this machine and all it's contents. Huh! Well Windows 10 would certainly puncture that illusion, even my personal e-mails wouldn't be mine. No, not going there.

However, I still have a problem. The BBC iPlayer allows users to download selected programs, which are then buried about 9 levels down under C:\Users\.... I did once track them down, but they were pretty well hidden with immensely long meaningless names. Now I can run BBC iPlayer in non-Admin, or Uber-Admin, but in neither case does the newly installed program find the recordings. And if I try to use the copy that is still visible in the Admin account I just get a warning that I have to update.

David.
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2015-12-23 at 13:58. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    One way to overcome the problem of too many levels of folders / subdirectories is to use the SUBST command. You assign a drive letter to one big long path.

For example: SUBST F: "C:\Users\joseph\My Documents\My Recordings\Music\Classical Music\20th Century\American"

Now, whenever you want to refer to the end folder (American), you simply refer to drive F:.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info, never knew that about that SUBST command. But my issue isn't the number of levels, up until this "improvement" the program knew where the files were located, and played them perfectly. But now I can only run the program in the Uber-Admin, or the lowly non-Admin, but neither way will it 'see' the pre-recorded files.

And just a thought about using the non-Admin account. I just tried to add a keyboard short-cut to the VideoLan Media-player icon while in the non-Admin account. How big a deal can that be? Well that's what I thought. But wait; User Account Control pops up. "Access Denied. You will need to supply Administrator permission." Then there's another pop-up with three options: Uber-Admin: regular Admin: or fingerprint reader. Well the fingerprint reader would be the easiest choice, but I can't get it to work in the non-Admin account. But I had just done the very same thing for Photoshop, and Adobe Bridge, and Word for Windows, and not a cheep out of UAC. Why does adding a keyboard short-cut to VLC Player represent some sort of threat? Okay, maybe it's no big deal, but it's an irrational irritation, and that's why I don't use this account.

David

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    One way to overcome the problem of too many levels of folders / subdirectories is to use the SUBST command. You assign a drive letter to one big long path.

For example: SUBST F: "C:\Users\joseph\My Documents\My Recordings\Music\Classical Music\20th Century\American"

Now, whenever you want to refer to the end folder (American), you simply refer to drive F:.
    My understanding is that assigning a drive letter with SUBST will not persist between reboots.

jwoods
    Thanks for that info, never knew that about that SUBST command. But my issue isn't the number of levels, up until this "improvement" the program knew where the files were located, and played them perfectly. But now I can only run the program in the Uber-Admin, or the lowly non-Admin, but neither way will it 'see' the pre-recorded files.

And just a thought about using the non-Admin account. I just tried to add a keyboard short-cut to the VideoLan Media-player icon while in the non-Admin account. How big a deal can that be? Well that's what I thought. But wait; User Account Control pops up. "Access Denied. You will need to supply Administrator permission." Then there's another pop-up with three options: Uber-Admin: regular Admin: or fingerprint reader. Well the fingerprint reader would be the easiest choice, but I can't get it to work in the non-Admin account. But I had just done the very same thing for Photoshop, and Adobe Bridge, and Word for Windows, and not a cheep out of UAC. Why does adding a keyboard short-cut to VLC Player represent some sort of threat? Okay, maybe it's no big deal, but it's an irrational irritation, and that's why I don't use this account.

David
    Ownership of a file or folder by SYSTEM or Trusted Installer will also generate the permissions warning.

See this How-To Geek article...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

Thanks
    It looks like you need to reset File (possibly also Registry) permissions on that account.

Assuming W7, though it might also apply to later versions, read the Answer here on how to accomplish this for all accounts.

An alternative might be to use the Tweaking.com tool, just use the Reset Registry and File Permissions section.

The BBC iPlayer update is, I guess, primarily about updating the Adobe Air/Flash package to the current, (allegedly) safe version.

From the *old* iPlayer version, there's an option to change the download location for the files under Settings, top right. Once the System/Account settings are fixed, try updating with the latest iPlayer download whilst the old version is running (it might offer the update as soon as you start the old version), it should close the old version during the upgrade to replace files in use and then you'll still have access to your old programmes.

If you can't force the upgrade, you might lose access to the previously downloaded programmes due to DRM restrictions, only downloads via the new iPlayer install will be available

The default install location for your programmes is inside one of the *special folders*, any/all of these can simply be moved to an optimal location, example walkthrough here (works from XP > W7, probably newer versions as well). Create a new folder with a short name (Me, Mine, Data,... ?) in the Root of (one of your internal) drive(s), makes for a short Path, and move them there

BTW, you can work out which programmes are hidden behind the inscrutable strings by carefully studying the iPlayer logs (under the Settings tab) and matching them up with the download dates/times/names, not easy but doable

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2015-12-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    My understanding is that assigning a drive letter with SUBST will not persist between reboots.
    I believe you are correct, a bat file could be run at startup though.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow, thanks very much for that detailed response. That Tweaking.com tool seems to be potent indeed!

As for updating iPlayer there were no options, as soon as the window opened it went black, then "Please update to the latest version" which lead to the Update download site. Again no options, just 'Save'. So I decided to uninstall iPlayer using Control Player and then re-install the new version. That started, then failed with: "Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE......Installer\Folders. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key..."

Next I tried Revo Uninstaller, and that too failed with, "This action is only valid for programs that are currently installed". So maybe it's in an indeterminate state, a bit like Schrodinger's cat.

I have a new 1TB drive that I've been meaning to put in this machine for some weeks. Maybe this is a sign from On High! Start over with a clean install for the New Year.

Cheers,

David

Thanks
    So maybe it's in an indeterminate state, a bit like Schrodinger's cat.

David
    Just check the cyanide capsule!

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I believe you are correct, a bat file could be run at startup though.
    Absolutely! Just place the batchfile into Windows Startup folder and one is good to go
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/