5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alternative to OneNote and Evernote

I sort of kind of like the basic idea behind OneNote and Evernote but both are highly cloud-centric. Yes, I understand that this is "the future of computing" but I prefer not traveling that route, thank you.

Also, I am aware that there is (for now) a paid version of OneNote that doesn't require an internet connection but I'm really looking for a free or inexpensive option. I currently use Notepad and a collection of TXT files for notes and have done this for years but if there is a better way, I'm willing to listen.

Suggestions?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    With Windows 7 and later you can use the built-in Sticky Notes app.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used sticky notes from time to time, but it's really not what I'm looking for. I've got a lot of TXT files in a folder that could do with some organization. These are notes having to do with the database work I do and are used for documenting the code.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've helped a few clients with your same type of issue.
    All of them had a folder of text files that they wanted to leave the files as they are.
    to solve the issue of finding what you are looking for we installed "TotalCMD" free or paid.
    It has a very nice search feature that lets your search file names or text in side the files.
    In the result window you have a direct link to the file you want.
    We also switched from notepad to notepad++ (free), it has more features.

I see your quote about an expert. I had it explained like this; ex is a has been and pert is a drip under pressure.

Have a Merry Christmas

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX View Post
    I've helped a few clients with your same type of issue.
    I use both of the things you mention every day. It's not so much about finding things as organizing them. FWIW, I do have a database with a brief note about what's in what notes and the name of the file, so I can search that and open what I need to find. It's when I get ready to start assembling a document from all the pieces that I though a Note app might (emphasis on might because I don't know) be handy.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Graham,

Would that database happen to be Access based?

It may be possible to create an Access Form w/a multi-select list that could pass the file names to a PowerShell script that could assemble the text into a single file. Of course, this assumes that you include the entire contents of the files in your new document. For that matter you might be able to do it all in Access via office automation. Just thinking out loud.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Would that database happen to be Access based?
    No, but I can do the same thing. I actually do use it to sequence the files and even produce an outline. But more often than not, I end up with different bits and pieces from here and there being pasted into the first full draft along with screen shots. It's a system I've gotten used to but based on some stuff I have read (and a bit of time playing with the free version of OneNote) it seemed like something like this might be worth spending some time with.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware