Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mindspark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mindspark

I seem to have over 300 PUPs related to Mindspark on my main Windows pc. What is the best method of eliminating them? [MalwareBytes finds them but does not provide a means for removing them.]

jwoods
    Check your settings in MalwareBytes for PUP and PUM detections.

If they are set to Treat detections as malware, MalwareBytes should remove them.

Additionally, you might consider downloading and running AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

JRT can be downloaded in the Weekly Downloads in Windows section on the right-hand side of the same page.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-23 at 00:18.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    With that many dodgy programs who knows what else is wrong. Back the whole lot up and re-install from scratch.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    With that many dodgy programs who knows what else is wrong. Back the whole lot up and re-install from scratch.

cheers, Paul
    I doubt he has that many program. Malwarebytes reports each registry entry and files related to a PUP as separate detection's. I've cleaned PCs with over 800 Malwarebytes items detected and the PC ran fine afterwards. It would be worth running AdwCleaner as Jwoods suggested as well.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Check your settings in MalwareBytes for PUP and PUM detections.

If they are set to Treat detections as malware, MalwareBytes should remove them.

Additionally, you might consider downloading and running AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

JRT can be downloaded in the Weekly Downloads in Windows section on the right-hand side of the same page.
    MalwareBytes is set to treat these as malware. All of the detections I can see in MalwareBytes history seem to be associated with Mindspark. I cannot find any of the history items in searching my hard drive. Is it possible that they are quarantined but still detected on each search? Note that there are no entries in the current search results, and yet MalwareBytes says that PUPs were detected.

jwoods
    If Malwarebytes quarantined anything, you would see it when clicking on the History icon in the toolbar...

Malwarebytes Quarantine Screen.jpg

You might also run AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal tool.

For a second-opinion malware scanning tool, HitmanPro is free to try...

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-26 at 01:55.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HitmanPro found two items, but I could not remove them - it appears that the Windows Store people used it when they cleaned my pc 1 1/2 years ago, so my "trial" had expired long ago. AdwCleaner cleaned quite a bit, but I still have the issue with MalwareBytes where it says it detected something but does not list anything.
    C'est la guerre.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    HitmanPro found two items, but I could not remove them - it appears that the Windows Store people used it when they cleaned my pc 1 1/2 years ago, so my "trial" had expired long ago. AdwCleaner cleaned quite a bit, but I still have the issue with MalwareBytes where it says it detected something but does not list anything.
    C'est la guerre.
    What did HitmanPro find?

What do your Malwarebytes scan logs look like?

You also might try running Junkware Removal Tool.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll have to wait a while to run anything, as my weekly backup takes a very long time.
    The daily MalwareBytes scan just says that it found items, but does not list any. The logs (over 300 entries)are all related to MindSpark and are dated a long time ago - probably back when the Windows store did its cleanup.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you're done with the back up, download FreeFixer and then you can scroll through what it finds and you'll probably be able to delete whatever Windows Store left on your computer, along with any other bogies.

If you aren't sure what some of the deletable entries are, you can click on the info link, but if in doubt then leave.

http://www.freefixer.com/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've found Mindspark-associated programs on a number of WinXP and newer computers, usually have no problem getting Malwarebytes to remove them. In those few dire circumstances I've used CCleaner to finish.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't see any suspicious items in the Freefixer log.

Will try another suggestion tomorrow.

Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've concluded that understanding this is hopeless. MalwareBytes keeps saying that there are 346 items found, but none were quarantined. Other one-time malware checkers find zero items. I installed the new (at least to me) Sophos suite and it found nothing. [Will it conflict with MalwareBytes?]

So I just conclude that MalwareBytes is finding items it has already quarantined.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MalwareBytes file

Attached is the MalwareBytes log. The first two (registry entries) are relatively new; the rest have been around for quite some time.

Any insights?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you thought about uninstalling MBAM completely using the mbam-clean.exe, reinstall then run another scan - remembering to set it back up for PuPs and PuMs.

https://support.malwarebytes.org/cus...5311?b_id=6438

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast