Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation changed account from Administrator to Standard

II just finished upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. While playing around and orienting myself to this new OS, I changed the only account I have in Windows 10 from Administrator to Standard. How do I change it back to an Admin account?
    Thanks

jwoods
    You can activate the "hidden" Administrator account and log in to change the other account back.

Open an elevated Command Prompt (Run as administrator).

Enter (or cut and paste) net user administrator /active:yes

Restart your system.

Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, thanks for your quick reply.

I CANNOT open an elevated command prompt because when I right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as Administrator" the dialog box's "yes" button is greyed out, so it does not allow me to enter a password.

jwoods
    You might try one of these alternate ways of opening a Command Prompt as an Administrator.

http://www.intowindows.com/command-p...in-windows-10/

UAC should be allowing you to enter a password.

If these don't work, hopefully you have been making regular disk images you can restore from.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-23 at 15:45.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

radar (2015-12-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I changed the only account I have in Windows 10 from Administrator to Standard"
    --- I wish Win10 wouldn't allow that to be done
    --- By default, the original user account is an administrator account and a subsequent account is a standard account by default
    So now trying to run as an administrator becomes a problem
    --- It might make sense to find out whether or not you can revert your Win10 back to your prior OS if allowed to do that
    --- but see what someone else has to say before considering that

Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, everyone. I found an answer to my problem! using instruction I found at the link below. I did not have to follow the complete set of instruction. I only did the reboot into safe mode, part of it:

1.) Boot into safe mode. You can do this easiest by opening a command prompt (start menu -> type 'cmd').
    And type "shutdown /r /o".
    2.) You computer will begin to restart but give you a set of troubleshooting options. Choose Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings
    3) select "4. Enable Safe Mode"

After Windows rebooted into Safe Mode, I saw the Administrator account button in the lower left of the login screen. I selected that, instead of MY account, and finished logging into Windows, in Safe Mode, where I could use the User Account Control to change MY account from Standard to Administrator.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...s-windows.html

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radar For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-23),High Sierra (2015-12-24)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by radar View Post
    thanks, everyone. I found an answer to my problem! using instruction I found at the link below. I did not have to follow the complete set of instruction. I only did the reboot into safe mode, part of it:

1.) Boot into safe mode. You can do this easiest by opening a command prompt (start menu -> type 'cmd').
    And type "shutdown /r /o".
    2.) You computer will begin to restart but give you a set of troubleshooting options. Choose Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings
    3) select "4. Enable Safe Mode"

After Windows rebooted into Safe Mode, I saw the Administrator account button in the lower left of the login screen. I selected that, instead of MY account, and finished logging into Windows, in Safe Mode, where I could use the User Account Control to change MY account from Standard to Administrator.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...s-windows.html
    Good job!