jwoods

Windows 10 update KB 3124200 destroys Word customizations

Article today on Woody on Windows...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/301...html?nsdr=true

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The KB article linked to by Woody says the latest Office updates caused the problem not Windows 10 updates.

Joe

jwoods
    Interesting that Woody didn't make that distinction...

The only reference to Office is in the KB3129969 Microsoft article that shows how to correct the issue, which Woody mentions was introduced by Cumulative Update 6, KB3124200.

"Microsoft has a new article, KB 3129969, that steps you through the process of fixing the problems introduced by KB 3124200..."

Since we don't have a list of what exactly was included (although there is a downloadable file list...see the File Information section in the KB3124200 article below), the evidence seems to indicate the Office updates were included in CU 6.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3124200

Also from Woody's article...

http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-...date-problems/

Given all that, I'm trying to understand how it was not caused by Windows 10 Updates.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-23 at 20:25. Reason: Added link to MS KB3124200 article with downloadable file list.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No way Office updates and in particular Office 2016 updates were included in a Windows cumulative update. All Office 2016 installation are click-to-run. Completely different servicing for click-to-run. Some Windows .dll files could be used by Office and therefor Office could be indirectly affected.

From Missing customizations in Office Word after an update: "After installing the latest update for Microsoft Office (6366.xxxx), all of your customizations for Word such as macros, autotext entries, and styles will no longer load."

This is the KB article linked in Woody's article and a couple of other places I've chased down. No mention of a Windows update causing the problem.

There is NO mention of this problem, Word, or Normal.dot in the Windowsreport.com page.

Joe

jwoods
    There is nothing mentioned (yet) that click-to-run was the root cause.

Outlook was mentioned in the Windowsreport.com page, which is part of Office.

BTW, this is the list of files for CU 6.

3124200.zip

Administrator
    Thanks
    Click-to-run is the installation and servicing mechanism for Office. It has nothing to do with Windows. Don't know if it ever will. Why would you think click-to-run was the cause of anything having to do with Windows?

I understand Outlook was mentioned as being not able to start. I did not say it was not mentioned. The problem headline of "destroying Word customizations" is what I was addressing. There is no mention of anything having to do with Word in the windowsreport.com page.

Saw the list of files. It is long.

Joe

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Click-to-run is the installation and servicing mechanism for Office. It has nothing to do with Windows. Don't know if it ever will. Why would you think click-to-run was the cause of anything having to do with Windows?

I understand Outlook was mentioned as being not able to start. I did not say it was not mentioned. The problem headline of "destroying Word customizations" is what I was addressing. There is no mention of anything having to do with Word in the windowsreport.com page.

Saw the list of files. It is long.

Joe
    Didn't say click-to-run did, or didn't do anything...nothing has been mentioned.

You said it was the only way Office could have been updated. Woody's article seems to imply otherwise.

You'll have to take the headline up with Woody...his words.

Administrator
    Thanks
    And now on http://www.askwoody.com/2015/windows...macros-styles/ Woody retracts the headline of the original post.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

jwoods
    Glad someone got to the bottom of it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, that's OK then . . . it wasn't a Windows Update that took customisation out of Word, it was an Office Update.

Very comforting

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    j, me again.

I never got hit by this Office destruction bug. The reason might be that I run Office 2000 here. Ooooppss ! Yes, it runs, all of it.

Have you noticed that if one opts to be an Insider, there is only one choice now, the Fast option. The rest is greyed out.
    Edit: Funny, only one machine has this greyed out. Go search !

Thanks for the URLs, made for good reading. All fine wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-12-24 at 10:34.

Thanks
    It's easy enough to fix if you use File History or have a backup.

Simply restore normal.docm and normalemail.docm from backup.