Thanks

How to save Office 2013 settings and import into new installation?

I have Office Pro 2013 32-bit on one machine. Is there an easy way to export all of the suite's settings, e.g. each program's options, and then import them into a new 2013 SP-1 64-bit installation on a different machine? I noticed that a program named Office Backup Wizard may be able to do this. Thanks.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I have no knowledge of the Office Backup Wizard but it will be difficult to backup 32-bit settings and restore them to a 64-bit install. Note that the OBW site says is does not work with Office 365. Your Outlook profile and data are not backed up. Also, there is no mention of support 64-bit Office. You should contact them about that.

BTW, unless you have a good reason you should probably run the 32-bit version of Office. If you insist on changing to 64-bit Office you need to check all your Office add-ins to make sure they have been upgraded to 64-bit.

Check out CloneApp and Office Backup - Settings Backup and Migration Tool.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good question...one would think by now that MS would be able to implement a method to do this from Office version to Office version plus one, no?

I imagine that everyone "dinks" on the Office settings over a period of time and has "little" memory of everything they have changed in the various app settings.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy-W View Post
    I have Office Pro 2013 32-bit on one machine. Is there an easy way to export all of the suite's settings, e.g. each program's options, and then import them into a new 2013 SP-1 64-bit installation on a different machine? I noticed that a program named Office Backup Wizard may be able to do this. Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an old gripe - the notion that I cannot somehow export the settings from one install of Office and move them to another. Really, how hard could it be for MS to create a way to port this. Part of the problem is that so much stuff is in the registry rather than in ini files. One of the great things with an ini file is that it's easily portable.

There were one or two third-party apps that could backup and transfer settings to another installation, but I think there were version limitations. You just have to check each one.

As to 64bit, believe it or not, Microsoft actually recommended the 32bit version of Office for quite a while.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...E-6C6F49B8D261
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy-W View Post
    You may hate me for recommending this, but you might like it when all is said and done.

You have said that you have two machines, and I recommend that you put them side by side and carefully examine each and every setting available in Office and either copy it or rethink it and revise it. One reason is that few users actually go through the whole set of options and personally make rational selections in each and every case. We are all suckers for the defaults, but the defaults are often unfortunate. I am indebted to Woody's Underground Guides, which are rumoured to have been published a number of years ago, for the general idea. You may want to have an up-to-date textbook handy to provide explanations as you go.

You have the luxury of having two completely independent machines, which you can put side by side, and carefully make choices that you may easily have stumbled through with the machine you claim you want to copy from. On reviewing the setting, you may find yourself making a different choice on the second, and then going back to the first to change to that to conform to what you realize it should have been. The settings for 'Proofing', in Word Options, is an example of something that will vary greatly among the diverse users (and careful writers) who frequent The Lounge.

Templates are not part of the deal – you have them saved elsewhere and can just copy them to the new machine, and in Office 2013 ‘Schemes’, if you use them, are an elaborate structure that is best set up in PowerPoint and inherited from that. If you have already done that, then you know more about it than I do.

When you finish, write a book about it.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-12-29 at 00:05. Reason: General revision