New Lounger
    Thanks

November (1511) Update Removed Most of My Installed Software

I am stuck being unable to install the 1511 update without it leaving my computer non-functional.

I have tried twice to install the update over the past several weeks. Each time, after it completed, (and after seeing the message saying "all your files are exactly where you left them") I found more than 12GB of installed software that the update uninstalled, most of it from the Program Files (x86) path. Things like all of my Adobe applications (except for the x64 version of Photoshop), Evernote, Firefox, Malwarebytes, Thunderbird, Opera, Safari, as well as dozens of free or purchased utilities that I use, some installed or some free standing executables, were all removed by the update and moved into windows.old.

I have a second (laptop) computer with much of the same software installed on it. On that computer, when the 1511 update ran, all of those same programs were left in place, so I can tell the update is not having problems with everyone, just me, and maybe some other folks to according to what I can see online.

I restored the system disk from a disk image to get back to the 10240 build, to get my computer working again, and checked the setting to defer upgrades so the update will not get installed again automatically. I have tried to contact Microsoft multiple times (chat, forum posts, phone) and the response has been less than useless (a Microsoft tech told me I needed to disable my anti-virus and the Windows firewall in order to get the update to stop removing my software, for example).

Any suggestions on:

1. How to fix this (i.e., how to get the update to stop removing my software?)

or

2. How to reach someone at Microsoft who can tell me how to fix this?

I assume at some point the update will be forced on me, and I will be stuck with a broken computer, and will have to go back to Windows 7. Extremely frustrating.

Thanks.

jwoods
    There have been reports of 1511 removing software...

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/24/bew...automatically/

However, I have not seen any that included Firefox, Malwarebytes, Thunderbird, Opera, or Safari.

Did you have any issues when you upgraded initially to 10240?

You might try using the Media Creation Tool instead of Windows Update to upgrade to 1511.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

If that doesn't work, your next option might be to do a fresh install of 1511, and re-install those applications. You may want to start thinking about getting your personal data moved off the hard drive in case that becomes necessary.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's probably more of this frustration to come, so I'd recommend reverting to Windows 7 until Windows 10 has become stable.

There seem to be plenty of keen experimenters, so I'd leave them to help MS iron out the bugs whilst you bask in the calm of W7.

Thanks
    Yup stay on the Healing Edge for main O/S.
    Leave the Bleeding Edge for the brave!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

Did you have any issues when you upgraded initially to 10240?
    If that doesn't work, your next option might be to do a fresh install of 1511, and re-install those applications. You may want to start thinking about getting your personal data moved off the hard drive in case that becomes necessary.
    I had the same problems with I initially tried to upgrade to 10240, and ended up having to do a clean install and individually install all of my programs. I am NOT going to do that each time Microsoft release a major update like this!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try this: Go to support.microsoft.com. Click on "Contact Answer Desk".

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    They were the ones who told me that I needed to disable my anti-virus and the Windows firewall in order to get the update to stop removing my software.

After an hour in a chat session that resolved nothing, I got a follow up email that said:

>> I do apologize if i wans't able to help you with your current issue.
    >> With my best i can i hope, i could help you more and have a better resolution for you.
    >> I will raise this to our management and try to have some actions regarding this issue of yours.
    >> Thank you for patience.

That was over 2 weeks ago, and that was the last thing I heard from them.
    Last edited by btuber; 2015-12-24 at 22:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Sorry for that experience. What a worthless response.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! The only way I know to deal with these kinds of problems is create a back up image with a 3rd party program.
    That way no matter what MS does to screw with you, you have a way to get your PC back up and running.
    That's a very sad story. I agree "What a worthless response" from MS
    Come here and get help. Good people and smart people. I'll be looking out for that up date. Wondering how many users are being affected by that up date!! Come on MS, you can do better!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    There's probably more of this frustration to come, so I'd recommend reverting to Windows 7 until Windows 10 has become stable.

There seem to be plenty of keen experimenters, so I'd leave them to help MS iron out the bugs whilst you bask in the calm of W7.
    I'm generally one version behind everyone else, for exactly this reason!

It never ceases to amaze me to see so many people who feel it is their duty to use the latest thing from Microsoft, to tough it out, so as to help Microsoft debug their software. It's as if they feel Microsoft is "big brother", and they are "little brother".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After I installed Windows 10, I thought that I had lost quite a lot of none-Microsoft programs. However, I did find quite a lot of them in a directory windows.old. Some I linked directly to the desktop via shortcuts. Others, I copied into the main program files directories. Mostly, they worked, but a few would not - mainly because they monitor Windows 10 and could document criticisms of Microsoft. More of this in another post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as I can tell, what ends up in windows.old is just the files from the various Program Files directories. If the programs had associated registry entries, those got lost. So, those programs would have to get reinstalled, and not just copied back from windows.old, since many of them would not work without what's in the registry.

Since I posted this a couple of weeks ago I have had several more interactions with the Answer Desk. In one of them, after getting escalated to a supervisor, I was told that I had no recourse but to manually reinstall all of the programs that were removed (somewhere north of 50 of them) and that even if I was getting paid support that would be the same answer I would get. After that interaction I rated the support session poorly, and got a follow up response from someone else who suggested that I subscribe to Premium Support for either $99 or $149, and that I could then contact them again anytime (even though I was already told that I would not get a different answer?).

There is no follow up on any of this stuff. I have had multiple chat and phone sessions in which I was left without a resolution, and each time I am told that I should just contact them again via chat or phone. Other companies allow you to open a support ticket, and a problem is worked until a resolution is reached. Seems like a reasonable strategy, but foreign to Microsoft.

I have tried on my own to resolve this (at one point I thought it might be a permissions issue and reset things on my system drives and tried again a couple of times) but no difference in the result. Since Microsoft is not telling anyone (including their own support people apparently) what is in any of the updates, if they make a change I will have no way to know about it to try again. I am still on the 10240 build and have the "Defer Updates" box checked off. I assume that at some point Microsoft will elect to ignore that and force an update on me, so I am spending some of my time getting set up with a Linux workstation, where I think I can do 80% of what I need to do to actually work, with the remainder done in a Windows 7 virtual machine.

I have been a Windows user since version 1.0, but never really a fan. This time around Microsoft is finally pushing me away to the competition.