3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office XP and Office 2013 on same system

I have been using Office XP Professional for many years even though support for it ended quite a while ago.

I got a good deal on Office 2013 Professional on ebay and installed it without uninstalling the older suite. OS is Win 8.1.

I haven't had too many problems with Office 2013 although there is a learning curve. All the earlier files appear to load properly and I usually save them in the old format.

The only reason I would want to run Word XP is that Avery has a nice add-in for printing labels which does not appear to be compatible with Word 2013. I don't need to run any of the other programs.

My question is can these two versions of Office coexist?

jwoods
    Microsoft doesn't recommend it, but says you can install and use more than one version of Office.

I wonder if this Avery add-in will work for you...

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Tem...oft-Office.htm
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-24 at 13:39. Reason: Added Avery link.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Microsoft doesn't recommend it, but says you can install and use more than one version of Office.

And do note on that linked-page the statement about disk space requirement but I find that the actual download is only 108MB.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Do note that, when installing more than one version of Office, the older one should be installed first and that only one version of Outlook can be installed.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Do note that, when installing more than one version of Office, the older one should be installed first and that only one version of Outlook can be installed.
    Two more things of note: one is the 64-bit version of Office 2010 and later doesn't like the 32-bit versions, I had to remove FrontPage 2003 to use the 64-bit Office 2010, and other is that the Custom install must be chosen to assign a different location for the second install to avoid overwriting the first.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I had a similar issue once and one of my friend who is bit technically smart had suggested that only have 1 version at a time.

Thanks
    It is possible, though not officially recommended, to run both 64bit and 32bit versions of Office, though you can't have the same version in both 32 and 64 bit. You need to install 64 bit first (oldest to newest if you intend to run multiple versions) then 32 bit (again oldest to newest).

I have run multiple versions of Office side by side for many years, though the new click-to-run installations make it much harder.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

That is the Avery add-on which does not appear to work.