Thread: Maybe I'm lucky

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe I'm lucky

After reading many horror stories about Win 10, perhaps I am lucky that the Upgrade Advisor says that my Nvidia GPU is not compatible with Win 10 so it will not download and install it.

I was running Win 10 on a different system but I think it has finally died - won't even display the HP splash screen. Before it finally gave out I was able to upgrade to 1511 without major issues.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! I love W10. A few bugs, but easily fixed. I suggest the clean install instead of the upgrade.
    If you like your OS (W7-W8, then I suggest you keep it. I'm not sure when the free W10 upgrade will end.
    I think everyone should try W10. You can always rool back if you don't like it!!

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    I'm not sure when the free W10 upgrade will end.
    I think everyone should try W10. You can always rool back if you don't like it!!
    It ends on July 29th, 2016, which is one year from the date of the original release

You only have 30 days to roll back using Windows 10, so creating a disk image before you do the upgrade is critical.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223139/how-...to-windows-10/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-26 at 20:32. Reason: Added link to article.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2015-12-26)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! jwoods! Thanks for your reply. That's great advise about creating a image. I use Macrium Reflect. I have a image of W7 on a USB that I can roll back to. I think I have all the bases covered. I really like W10 at this time, so will probably just run it on my old Toshiba laptop and when she quits will buy a new PC with W10 on it.

jwoods
    Hi! jwoods! Thanks for your reply. That's great advise about creating a image. I use Macrium Reflect. I have a image of W7 on a USB that I can roll back to. I think I have all the bases covered. I really like W10 at this time, so will probably just run it on my old Toshiba laptop and when she quits will buy a new PC with W10 on it.
    Sounds like a good plan.

You might also think about a way to back up your personal data separately, in case you would have to go back to Windows 7, or clean-install Windows 10.

Incremental backups for personal data are my preference...it backs up only the data that has changed.

There are many ways to accomplish that.

Unfortunately, Macrium Free doesn't support that feature, but Macrium Home Edition does...

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-26 at 20:53. Reason: Added Macrium comparison link.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi ! I think the W10 File History does that for me every day?

jwoods
    Hi ! I think the W10 File History does that for me every day?
    Restoring those files may not work if you go back to Windows 7 with a disk image.

I would look for a solution that works in both scenarios.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    OK! Thanks! I really don't have that much important data, but will consider your recommendation. I'm thinking I could copy and paste the ones I really need, but maybe not! Not really considering rolling back, but many thanks for your suggestions. All good and appreciated! I tried to attach a couple of links. Was informed my post would have to be approved. Hope I haven't broken any rules.
    PS Sounds like you know your stuff! All good info!