Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Forced upgrade to Windows 10 while my back was turned

    Yesterday I had Windows 7. Today I turned on my computer, left the room for a few moments and came back to Windows 10. How'd that happen?

    Seriously, I touched nothing. No clicking on anything.
    I will attempt the downgrade
    "Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting 'Go back to Windows 7' "
    and hope this works but.... what happened to have forced this sneaky, unauthorized upgrade and how can I stop it from happening again?
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  2. #2
    jwoods
    Guest
    I would recommend GWX Control Panel...

    http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

    Take a few minutes and read the user gulde...

    http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

    BarbieGee (2015-12-24)

  4. #3
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    If you're using Windows 7 it would also be a good idea to turn WU off completely and perform the update checks manually.

    Yes I agree completely, it's some down right sneaky sh*t, which means more work on the users part in having to pay attention
    to prevent this kind of stuff from happening.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  5. #4
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the link to GWX. I have seen references to this on other postings and was wondering how to get it.

    I restored my Windows 7. Some of the pinned tasks would not work but I am correcting that now.

    This particular computer will stay as a Windows 7 machine. I have no need for the upgrade.

    Another system I will do the upgrade only for my own curiosity as to how well it functions. If I don't like it then I will do a fresh install of Windows 7 via my discs.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  6. #5
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGee View Post
    Thanks for the link to GWX. I have seen references to this on other postings and was wondering how to get it.

    I restored my Windows 7. Some of the pinned tasks would not work but I am correcting that now.

    This particular computer will stay as a Windows 7 machine. I have no need for the upgrade.

    Another system I will do the upgrade only for my own curiosity as to how well it functions. If I don't like it then I will do a fresh install of Windows 7 via my discs.
    Or, just do a disk image before you do the upgrade.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

    BarbieGee (2015-12-24)

  8. #6
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Or, just do a disk image before you do the upgrade.
    Good idea!

    Not that this machine has anything critical on it. But I can practice using my Acronis True Image.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  9. #7
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGee View Post
    Good idea!

    Not that this machine has anything critical on it. But I can practice using my Acronis True Image.
    Exactly...and the second part of that would be verifying that the disk images are good.

    Fred Langa has some tips on how to do that...

    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...image-backups/

    http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...fying-backups/[/QUOTE]

    You might also think about how you might back up your personal data as it changes from day to day.

    I use a tool called Beyond Compare by Scooter Software that will show me the differences in my personal data, and allow me to copy just those files onto a backup medium.

    http://www.scootersoftware.com/

    There are many ways to do that type of backup (called an "incremental backup"), but I've found this to be staightforward.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

    BarbieGee (2015-12-25)

  11. #8
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I remember that article and had saved it to my Bookmarks. Thanks for reminding me.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  12. #9
    3 Star Lounger djohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware City, Delaware
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGee View Post
    Yesterday I had Windows 7. Today I turned on my computer, left the room for a few moments and came back to Windows 10. How'd that happen?

    Seriously, I touched nothing. No clicking on anything.
    I will attempt the downgrade
    "Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting 'Go back to Windows 7' "
    and hope this works but.... what happened to have forced this sneaky, unauthorized upgrade and how can I stop it from happening again?
    You don't want to. What you really want is to stay with Windows 10. You will go there someday anyway. It might as well be now. Windows 7 only has a few years left.

  13. #10
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Praha
    Posts
    989
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
    You do want to. What you really want is to stay with Windows 7. You are not alone. Windows 7 has many years left.

  14. #11
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The machine I have now has my graphics program on it. I've been in contact with the software manufacturer and they have not yet released a version that will work with Windows 10. I will wait on any upgrades until that new version is released. In the mean time I feel violated by Microsoft for 'forcing' this upgrade upon my machine when I and my machine are simply not ready.

    I do have another Asus laptop which I will upgrade and become familiar with Windows 10
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  15. #12
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Praha
    Posts
    989
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
    Please take this comment in the constructive spirit in which it's written.

    I see nothing obsolete about Windows 7 - it is stable, predictable, has huge aftermarket support, copes with all my software and peripherals and isn't going to be messed around with every time MS feels like updating something. Support which may end years down the track doesn't qualify for "obsolete" in my book.

    I truly don't understand the obsession with leaping in the dark to software that most manufacturers would regard as Beta. But I'm happy there are those with the time and inclination to do all the experimenting for me. I might join in after a few years, when things have settled down (MS have track record in this respect), though I have a horrible feeling that the continual forced updates may mean that decent stability is never achieved. That's not what I want in an OS.

    BTW I'm not just shooting my mouth off - I have tried W10 on my 5 month old Dell laptop with a fairly standard set of software. I have had problems with the list below, each of which made the PC unusable (or painful) for my purposes until I'd made interventions beyond what I would expect when simply using something I'd bought. A user shouldn't have to be a technician - the manufacturers of cars, phones and many other complex products know this.

    • Wifi
    • Office
    • Home networking (never did solve that one)
    • Printing
    • File permissions
    • Photo-editing software
    • A couple of nice, harmless utilities which MS uninstalled for me

    My wife has a different new-ish Dell laptop which threw up a list of similar length but different items.

    All this might be worthwhile if there were some major advantage in making the switch but I can find nothing that works better nor any new facilities that are useful for me. I've asked on several forums what advantages am I missing and the best I've got is "why stick with an obsolete version of Windows ?", "the upgrade is free" and some abuse for "being a dinosaur". I suppose it's the same reason I stick with "obsolete" roads - they take me places I want to go.

    Thank goodness for imaging - I flipped back into the calm of Windows 7 and there I'll stay until I feel like making a change. It might well, now, not be to W10

    I do have sympathy with MS, having to cope with XP, 7 and 8 out there, but my sympathy is limited because this is a monster of their own making and pushing me by devious means into a switch that suits them but simply doesn't work for me was very rude.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-12-26 at 19:29.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

    mrjimphelps (2015-12-28)

  17. #13
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    "...I see nothing obsolete about Windows 7 - it is stable, predictable, has huge aftermarket support..." -- MartinM
    a nice big +1 from me!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  18. #14
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Please take this comment in the constructive spirit in which it's written.

    I see nothing obsolete about Windows 7 - it is stable, predictable, has huge aftermarket support, copes with all my software and peripherals and isn't going to be messed around with every time MS feels like updating something. Support which may end years down the track doesn't qualify for "obsolete" in my book.

    I truly don't understand the obsession with leaping in the dark to software that most manufacturers would regard as Beta. But I'm happy there are those with the time and inclination to do all the experimenting for me. I might join in after a few years, when things have settled down (MS have track record in this respect), though I have a horrible feeling that the continual forced updates may mean that decent stability is never achieved. That's not what I want in an OS.

    [edited]

    All this might be worthwhile if there were some major advantage in making the switch but I can find nothing that works better nor any new facilities that are useful for me. I've asked on several forums what advantages am I missing and the best I've got is "why stick with an obsolete version of Windows ?", "the upgrade is free" and some abuse for "being a dinosaur". I suppose it's the same reason I stick with "obsolete" roads - they take me places I want to go.

    Thank goodness for imaging - I flipped back into the calm of Windows 7 and there I'll stay until I feel like making a change. It might well, now, not be to W10

    I do have sympathy with MS, having to cope with XP, 7 and 8 out there, but my sympathy is limited because this is a monster of their own making and pushing me by devious means into a switch that suits them but simply doesn't work for me was very rude.
    Well said MartinM. You echo my sentiments very closely.
    I was a 'hold out' with Windows XP, waiting till the more serious bugs and fixes were worked out on Windows 7. I then purchased a new computer with the new O/S installed and properly set up for that system's hardware. I Purchased that machine in 2010 and it is a stable and more then functional machine. [quadcore, i7 processor]
    In time I may purchase a new system with Windows 10 installed. But for now, as MartinM stated, I can find nothing that works better at this time. I am typically pretty progressive but I am also very practical.
    Last edited by BarbieGee; 2015-12-26 at 21:46. Reason: p.s.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  19. #15
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    p.s. Windows 10 works best with touch screen which I do not have on any of my 3 computers. Another good reason not to upgrade an older system?
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •