Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blu Ray DVD stopped working

I'm running Windows Pro 10. I have a 16 GB motherboard. i5 processor. Running a 480 GB SSD. The other day I rented a movie in Blu Ray DVD. Put it in the drawer and started it. In a few moments after it loaded the movie, it froze. I worked with it and finally got it to a certain point but it froze again. Also, I was not getting any sound from it.

I upgraded my video driver. No help there.
    I tried the BR movie in the system I have with my TV and I watched the movie.
    I received a movie from Netflix that was HD but not BR. It would work but no sound. A few minutes into the movie and it froze. So, I figured I had a DVD player that had giving up the ghost. I order an LG Blu Ray DVD player that writes in BR.
    I put my Avatar BR movie in once I installed it and it froze. No sound. I put my non-BR movie - Avatar in the player and apparently is will not play anything but BR because it tells me "No disk."
    I have Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 and also Nero 15 Platinum. Neither will work with either DVD player.
    I upgraded the firmware in the new player. Still freezes.
    I made sure PowerDVD 15 was up to date and installed the latest upgrade. Still freezes.
    I upgraded my GeForce driver. Still freezes.
    No sound either when I can get it to run for a few seconds.
    When I go to NetFlix sound and picture is great.
    When I go to YouTube, movies work and sound is great.
    I'm wondering if I received a bad "new" player?

Anything anyone can suggests? Something I haven't done?
    Last edited by rhawk36; 2015-12-24 at 22:55.

Thanks
    A quick google search turned up many answers and since you have Cyberlink, this may be of interest http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/window..._cyberlink.jsp

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 Ultra

I downloaded the compatibility program and ran it. It showed that PowerDVD 15 Ultra was compatible. However, it still doesn't work. Nero 2015 BR program works without a hitch now, but not Cyberlink. I've applied the latest patch, applied the newest firmware to my BR player, upgraded the driver on my GeForce NVida 660 Ti video board, reinstalled PowerDVD 15 Ultra and patch and nothing seems to work. I've written to Cyberlink's support group but when I fill out everything requested, there is a PR number asked for. When I enter that number from my program, it refuses to accept it. So much for their help! I've decided to get rid of their program, mark up my loses, and settle with Nero's program. At least the new BR DVD player will also burn in BR, so that's one consolation. Thanks for the help. Happy New Year.
    Last edited by rhawk36; 2015-12-26 at 10:52.

Thanks
    I've written to Cyberlink's support group but when I fill out everything requested, there is a PR number asked for. When I enter that number from my program, it refuses to accept it. So much for their help!
    Unfortunately I have had previous problems with Cyberlink's "supposed" support and just got rid of the program ( not involving BR ). I don't recommend them to anyone.
    Happy New Year to you also

jwoods
    Could be an issue with the DVD itself.

That happens occasionally with DVDs we get from Netflix.

Try cleaning it with a little rubbing alchohol on a soft clean cloth.

Thanks
    With a radial not circular motion. There is some redundancy but marring consecutive bits ( they are configured in a spiral arrangement) could wipe that out!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks. I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks
    You may wish to try Nero DiscSpeed. It's a free utility that lets you test both your optical drive(s) and discs. Note that you are asked for an email address before you can download. I put a dummy one in which was accepted... and was then shown a Download.com page so you might as well just go direct to the Download.com page.

I use the ScanDisc tab to check the integrity of optical discs.

nero2.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Downloaded the Nero DiscSpeed program. Tried installing it. Would not install. I kept getting an error reading and gave up.

jwoods
    Doesn't say it's compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1, or Windows 10...

Nero DiscSpeed

Compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista (32 bit)

Thanks
    I have Nero "DiscSpeed 4" (v4.12.14.0) on one of my Win10 systems. Part of Nero8 Essentials which came with a DVD burner a few years ago. Works as expected in Win10.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods
    Doesn't say it's compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1, or Windows 10...
    My previous screenshot was from Windows 7.

Nero DiscSpeed 12.5.6.0 working in Windows 10 Build 10240
    Nero DiscSpeed 12.5.6.0.png
    Click to enlarge

Nero DiscSpeed 5.4.24.0 working in Windows 10 Build 10240
    Nero DiscSpeed 5.4.24.0.png
    Click to enlarge

Just because it doesn't say it's compatible, doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Hope this helps...

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Just because it doesn't say it's compatible, doesn't mean that it doesn't work.
    Sometimes it does mean that...YMMV.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    ...Compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista (32 bit)[/I]
    Windows 2000 and Windows XP were based on the Windows NT operating system. Vista was a complete re-write of the OS from scratch, and Win7, Win8/8.1, and Win10 continue to be developed further from the re-written code-base.

Many "system requirements" specs I have seen in the past few years don't attempt to specify any particular OS later than Vista; in most cases they say something like: "Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and later".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rhawk36
    Downloaded the Nero DiscSpeed program. Tried installing it. Would not install. I kept getting an error reading and gave up.
    Perhaps that was a mixed blessing. I was doing screenshots of the install process for you and noticed something I'd missed the first time around, i.e. the Download.com version has Open Candy adware piggy-backed onto it. I checked both my Win 7 PC and Win10 laptop (with the latest versions of AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, MalwareBytes Pro and Avast) and, even though Open Candy wasn't actually installed on either, I can't recommend this version of Nero DiscSpeed.

Instead, use the download of Nero DiscSpeed 7.0.2.100 from MajorGeeks.com and run the installer as administrator. It looks like it's going to install DiscSpeed 11.0.00400 but, once you run it after installation, it is actually DiscSpeed 7.0.2.100... without any add-ons.

Nero DiscSpeed 7.0.2.100 working in Windows 10 Build 10240
    nero7.png
    Click to enlarge

If you ever want to use Nero DiscSpeed as a portable tool, just copy the Nero DiscSpeed folder... it's self-contained.
    nero-portable.png
    Click to enlarge
    Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-12-29 at 05:17. Reason: Added info about using as portable tool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast