Thread: Hard disk issue

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard disk issue

I have two Dell laptops running Windows 7, and just now, a message appeared in the system tray on one of them about a hard disk issue, potentially affecting disk performance. I can't remember the exact message, but it was to do with Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and it was reporting an error accessing FFS or Dev_Cache, and recommending resetting something to Normal (which I did by clicking on a "Normal" link), and now when I restart the laptop, the attached screen appears for a few seconds. Otherwise, everything seems normal.

Do I need to adjust something to restore things as they were and stop this screen appearing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The PC is reporting a problem with your SSD. You need to run the Dell diags on it.
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/quicktest

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I tried the link you suggested, and the process appeared to freeze while installing Support Assist, but it is already installed on my laptops, so I ran the checkup process in it, both default and extended tests, and everything (including SSD) passed with no errors ... but the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" screen still appears during startup.

Is there a way to restore things as they were and stop this screen appearing? (Would it help to display these settings on my other identical laptop, which does not show this screen during startup, to see what the normal settings are?)
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2015-12-26 at 04:01.

Thanks
    IRST is a utility with a GUI. Open the management window and check its status etc.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should be able to remove the RST cache and set it up again. Fingers crossed.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your further replies. I am fairly computer literate but have no experience in this area so detailed guidance is appreciated.

I managed to find an "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" setup program, and both laptops show a "SATA_Array_0000" with "FFS" (8 GB) and "Dev_Cache" (22 GB) all functioning normally; however, my other identical laptop shows the main hard disk (932 GB) as accelerated in enhanced mode (see attachment 1), whereas this laptop shows the main hard disk as not accelerated (see attachment 2).

When I click on the "Select device" link under "Acceleration configuration" to enable acceleration on this laptop, it says "Once acceleration is complete, you will need to restart your computer before performing any partition or formatting operations on the accelerated disk." (see attachment 3).

If I proceed, will I lose any existing data on the hard disk, or will it just reactivate the acceleration (and presumably stop the IRST screen appearing during startup)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The SSD configuration has an option to "reset to available". Try that first.

As always, backup first.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK thanks. I clicked on "Reset to available" under "SSD Configuration", then followed prompts to re-enable acceleration, and everything seems to be back as it was now.
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2015-12-27 at 21:08.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did it make a difference to the speed?

cheers, Paul