Thanks

Purism's Librem 13 laptop will come with Qubes OS installed

I have never delved into linux but if MS keeps screwing around with forcing win 10 down everyone's throat instead of letting people decide, this may be an alternative at some point in time. Even Snowden likes the idea, LOL.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30182...tml#tk.rss_all

Most Linux distributions are fairly similar these days, but Qubes OS is different. Qubes OS is based on Linux, but it runs applications in lightweight virtual machines. Applications can be completely isolated from each other, limiting the damage a security vulnerability can cause and aiding in privacy. It's no surprise Edward Snowden said he was excited by Qubes OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to agree – even as a ‘Windows 10 insider’ I am also becoming uncomfortable with Microsoft’s ‘Big Brother’ act.

Nevertheless, although QubesOS is all very well from a security point of view, running every application in a separate Virtual Machine requires a hefty system - frankly, dramatic overkill for all but the most paranoid of users.

The vast majority of Windows users would find that most of the current major Linux distros (versions) easily do everything they use a computer for, and by their very nature are generally much more secure than Windows. I’ve been using Linux for many years and have taken it to explore places on the net that I wouldn’t dream of taking Windows to, so far without any consequences whatsoever. That’s not to say Linux is invulnerable - even Superman fell foul of Kryptonite – but, currently, Linux stays pretty clean and you can’t say that for any version of Windows, including 10. If you’re still paranoid you could do what I did for one customer – triple boot Linux with ‘Secure’, ‘Everyday’ and ‘Rambo’ partitions!

For Windows user who’ve never delved into Linux I strongly recommend trying Linux Mint (mate version), which has a desktop close enough to WindowsXP/7 for them to quickly get to grips with. Unlike Windows (and Apple) all of the software is free and additions can easily be installed via the built in ‘Software Manager’ (app store). All updates are fully under the users control – oh bliss! Once you’ve got to grips with Mint, I’d add the ‘xkill’ applet to the taskbar – works like ctr-alt-del, only better.

Download: Linux Mint 17.3 “Rosa” MATE Edition
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2946 (scroll down page for 64 & 32bit download mirror links)

The iso you download from the above location is used to burn a ‘Live DVD’, which allows you to run Mint in RAM only (albeit slowly) so that you can see what it’s all about before you decide whether to install it to your HD or not.

As Mrs Doyle would say: ‘Ah, go on’.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N20wHvMPTGs

Cheers, Chris

P.S. As an aside, many security paranoid people use the TOR browser, which doesn’t store any browsing data and hides your IP by bouncing it around the world. TOR users concerned about anonymity must feel reassured that, as the majority of funding for the TOR project came from the U.S. government, their online surfing will not be subject to CIA and NSA scrutiny.
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Cooper For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-01-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm buying a used/refurbished computer to use as a Plex media center. It come with a clean install of Win7 so it makes sense to upgrade this to Win10 while it's free. But it's starting to make even more sense to switch to Linux. I don't think there is anything I need this machine to do that cannot be done as well or better with Linux (Mint).

I think that I'll do a clean upgrade to Win10 and image that, then install Mint and see what I think. If it doesn't work out, I'll switch back.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    re: gsmith-plm 'I think that I'll do a clean upgrade to Win10 and image that, then install Mint and see what I think. If it doesn't work out, I'll switch back.'

If I were you I'd also make an image of your Win7 install before you upgrade to Win10. Then you have the ultimate route backwards - otherwise if your online update to Win10 went TU in the process you could be left with no route back to Win7!

Cheers, Chris
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I think that I'll do a clean upgrade to Win10 and image that, then install Mint and see what I think. If it doesn't work out, I'll switch back.
    It will probably be difficult to do that as once Win10 is set up with secure boot (and TPM if present) switching OS is not easy.

Remember also that Win10 allows you to revert back to Win7 but only for 30 days.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-01-09 at 19:28.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
    Download: Linux Mint 17.3 “Rosa” MATE Edition
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2946 (scroll down page for 64 & 32bit download mirror links)

The iso you download from the above location is used to burn a ‘Live DVD’, which allows you to run Mint in RAM only (albeit slowly) so that you can see what it’s all about before you decide whether to install it to your HD or not.

Cheers, Chris
    Very interesting, thank you.
    I don't have an optical drive on my Laptop, can it be run from a USB flash drive?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    I don't have an optical drive on my Laptop, can it be run from a USB flash drive?
    Yes.

Strangely, there's no 'how to' guide on the Linux Mint website. Instead, have a look at How to Install Linux Mint 16 Petra From USB Stick using UNetbootin. It's the same method for the latest version of Linux Mint.

Alternatively, have a look at Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to use pendrivelinux's USB creator. They're both very similar.

PS - Personally I would use the Cinnamon version as it looks closest to Windows 7 but it's a matter of taste. Have a look at this article: Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon & MATE: A hands-on review for more info.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-09 at 20:41.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-01-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Yes.

Hope this helps...
    In droves, thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Oops...

I forgot to mention - whatever flavour you decide to download (Cinnamon or Mate), I suggest you avoid the 'No codecs' versions. It can be a real pain for new Mint users having to find out how to download and install additional packages to play MP3 audio, H.264 video, Flash content and even commercial video DVDs when they're testing Mint's media-playing capabilities.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Very interesting, thank you.
    You can use that live CD to make an USB install on another machine and use it on your laptop. I have never had a problem booting a Mint USB SSD on whatever machine I have tried. YMMV However nothing lost if it does not work.

PS be sure to get the Long Term Support version. And be careful of updates that may send you to a non LTS version. Been there done that! The only real sticker w/ Mint is it is not recommended (even for Linux Geeks) to upgrade to a newer version (17 to 18)
    Also take the time to put your user files on a separate partition, this will avoid problems in the future. Again Been there done that!
    Last edited by wavy; 2016-01-12 at 14:25.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-01-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips.