Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Install a second Hard Drive?

My Dell 570MT desk top has a second bay for a second hard drive, and a second power plug as well. So could I buy a Sata 7+15=22 pin to USB 2.0 adapter cable, plug in the HD end then bring the USB end out of the cabinet, and plug it into one of the USB ports on the front of the tower, which will be used for data only? Thanks! Dayo

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
    My Dell 570MT desk top has a second bay for a second hard drive, and a second power plug as well. So could I buy a Sata 7+15=22 pin to USB 2.0 adapter cable, plug in the HD end then bring the USB end out of the cabinet, and plug it into one of the USB ports on the front of the tower, which will be used for data only? Thanks! Dayo
    That's one way to do it, but you'd be limiting your HD speed to USB 2.0 speed. The better way would be to connect the presumably new hard drive to a SATA port using a SATA cable. If you don't have an extra SATA port you should be able to add one with port card. You already have a power cable but make sure it is one that fits an SATA hard drive. This way you get the full speed capabilities of the hard drive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CEScott For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can already plug an external USB disk into your PC so you will be no better off.
    What do you want to do with the second hard drive?

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

Thanks
    Check the specs on your system's motherboard before doing anything...
    There's no reason you should settle for the "slower and messier" setup as you have described.
    Get a decent capacity (2 TB) SATA drive and connect it normally via a SATA cable.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint, CEScott, & Paul T. I apologize for my lack of understanding: the 15 pin connector is the power connector, and the second cable provided! What is needed is a second 7 pin data cable to connect the second hard drive (already installed), and some means to select it or the other hard drive. On the mother board there are four Sata connectors grouped together, one goes to the #1 HDD, and the other goes to the CD ROM drive. So what do I need to buy/install to get that second drive up and running? Dell is no help! Dayo

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I don't understand what you're asking, but if you are only using two of your four SATA ports on the motherboard, you need to connect a power cable to the second drive, and you need to run a data cable from the second drive to one of the two unused SATA ports on the motherboard.
    Then when you turn on the computer the BIOS should recognize the new hard drive and you're "good to go". (Of course you may need to format it, etc.)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You cannot choose which disk works, that isn't a feature built in to motherboards.
    What do you want to do with the second disk?

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have no clear idea what you are wanting. If to install the second drive as a INTERNAL drive in that case's bay then take your pick of cables (color, 90 degree angle, 18" or even 10" options is likely to work):
    https://www.monoprice.com/category?c...&cs_id=1022602

You will also likely need 4 screws to mount your second hard drive which I have to assume you are already in possession of.

I believe this is in fact what you want to do, but:

If you want an EXTERNAL drive describing the setup you originally requested then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812400542

This will only power up 2.5" drives however. And yes, this will work with a USB2 port. A better solution for a 3.5" drive would be an external enclosure, but those require an AC outlet to provide power.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182155

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us...on-570/manuals

Externally accessible
    • two 5.25-inch bays for SATA DVD-ROM, SATA DVD+/-RW Super Multi Drive, or Blu-ray Disc™ combo drive
    • one 3.5-inch FlexBay for an optional Media Card Reader

Internally accessible two 3.5-inch bays for SATA hard drives

SATA four 7-pin connectors

USB two front panel and four back-panel USB 2.0-compliant connectors

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/Co...nual_en-us.pdf
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-12-28 at 10:14.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    .... some means to select it or the other hard drive. ...
    Your OS will automatically assign a drive letter to the new drive and it will be recognized and accessible via Windows Explorer or 3rd party app assuming you are using Windows 7, 64-bit OS that likely came with the Dell. You will have to enter Disk Manager and partition and format the drive before this can occur however.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/setup-hard-drive-windows/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You cannot choose which disk works, that isn't a feature built in to motherboards.
    What do you want to do with the second disk?

cheers, Paul
    On many you can disable the port, it is not sure what he wants to do though. If he wants to dual boot he can do that through Bios options or boot manager. One q seems to be : does he have an available power connector.

Thanks, Clint, CEScott, & Paul T. I apologize for my lack of understanding: the 15 pin connector is the power connector, and the second cable provided! What is needed is a second 7 pin data cable to connect the second hard drive (already installed), and some means to select it or the other hard drive. On the mother board there are four Sata connectors grouped together, one goes to the #1 HDD, and the other goes to the CD ROM drive. So what do I need to buy/install to get that second drive up and running? Dell is no help! Dayo
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    On many you can disable the port, it is not sure what he wants to do though. If he wants to dual boot he can do that through Bios options or boot manager. One q seems to be : does he have an available power connector.

Thank you gentlemen, from everyone I learned something! Yes I do need a power cable to go from the mother board to hard drive #2 which was the original HD (640gb), #1 HD (750gb) is the replacement HD. I recently brought the original HD back to life with Windows Defender Off-Line, and a Recovery disk I had made about five years ago, that said: the next logical step is to put it to work. A point of confusion is that the Sata connectors on the M. board look different from one another? Anyway please don't give up on me, I appreciate your time. I also appreciate Paul T's philosophical view of the matter, keeping in mind that "All roads lead to Rome", at the very least a nice change of pace. Dayo

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SATA connectors are physically the same, but if they are a different colour it's probably to distinguish 3Gb from 6Gb (SATA I and II).

cheers, Paul

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Y'know, some photos of your mobo and HD connectors might be useful here. Just my $0.02.

Zig

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They are SATA II (3Gbps) ports (785G/SB700 chipset). All 4 of the SATA connectors on the MB are together in a 2x2 arrangement and are identical in appearance, except 2 black, one blue and one white (why? Heck if I know).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA6392MX1460

http://en.community.dell.com/support...514/t/19490818
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-12-31 at 19:20.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-12)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Probably so the zombie on the production line knows which plug to use.

Plug a disk into each one in turn, go into the BIOS and see what port the drive is connected to. Should be 0 through 3.

cheers, Paul

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dayo (2016-01-01)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast