5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working"

My wife's laptop is running Win8.1 and she has been using IE ever since this laptop was new a year ago. Suddenly, today when we open IE trying to open on google.com, a small message box opens up and says "Internet Explorer has Stopped Working". (BTW, her email program is working fine.) It has one button that is supposed to close IE but it reopens immediately and the same thing happens again. I have rebooted several times with no help. I finally logged into my account, with admin Privileges, on her laptop and IE works fine! So, then I downloaded Chrome and installed it. It works fine in her User-level account.

While in my Admin account on her laptop I tried to download and reinstall IE. The file that was downloaded was named: Windows8.1-KB2901549-x64.msu. When I tried to run that file it displayed a message that said it was not applicable to that computer! I don't know if that was the file I should have downloaded but the labeling on the Microsoft page led me to it.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong or how to get IT working again will be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

Thanks
    Start\Control Panel\Internet Options

Under the "Advanced" tab click on "Reset".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That didn't solve the problem! Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

jwoods
    You might try using System Restore to roll back to a point before the issue started.

This won't affect your personal data, but it will affect the new Chrome installation.

Thanks
    You could try running the fixit tool from "Fix Internet Explorer issues to make IE fast, safe and stable": https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...?wa=wsignin1.0

Otherwise check for and remove any PUPs/malware/spyware/adware:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/

2. Spybot 2.4: https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot2-own-mirror-3/

3. ADWCleaner: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewd.../1-adwcleaner/

4. JRT (Junkware Removal Tool): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try the things that have been suggested. I have learned in the last day or two that my wife thinks this problem has come and gone frequently and over a long period of time! I don't know how reliable this info is since she is definitely not a computer type by any stretch!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was plagued with this for a while on another forum after adding a Hyperlink in the post and while closing the windows I had been using.

I can still get it the odd time but have yet to find the cause and MS still have to come up with an answer as the best Windows will do is to close the window and when you click on the View tech details in Reliability history - that isn't any help either as you can see from what I got on the 17th Dec. and there wasn't anything in Action Center either.

Description
    The program IEXPLORE.EXE version 11.0.9600.18124 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 10c8
    Start Time: 01d1385dccefed06
    Termination Time: 46
    Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    Report Id: