New Lounger
    Thanks

Secunia says I have one program that requires a manual update

Howdy all !!!!

I have a Win8 desktop, new November 2013 that I upped to Win8.1 as soon as I turned it on the first time. There was a lot of junk trying to express itself ( most notably Conduit ) which I murdered as best I could. The computer acted funny for a while after that; sometimes it would just crash ( once or twice a week ) but after a while it stopped doing that. However, Secunia PSI keeps telling me I have one program that requires a manual update; Microsoft XML Core, MSXML 4.x. When I follow the link and try to download it from the page, it says I already have it. Sometimes it takes me to the MSXML 6.0 page. I haven't tried to download that ( I don't know if I need it or if it would do any good ).

I'm thinking of upgrading to Win10, but I wonder if I need to get that Secunia problem fixed first. If I do a system refresh ( system files only, not personal files etc. ) will that solve the problem ??

Second question: if I do a system refresh OR when I upgrade to Win10, will my Office Professional come through it intact ? I don't have a disk for it; it was a download from my previous employer, but I do have the Product Code.

Great thanks to all.
    Last edited by Roobrill; 2015-12-25 at 21:53.

jwoods
    I'm surprised Secunia is not telling you MSXML 4.0 is at end-of-life, and is no longer supported.

I would set Secunia to Ignore Program.

Microsoft has said in the past that if your hardware and applications are compatibile Windows 8/8.1, they should work in Windows 10 as well.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-25 at 23:25.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Roobrill (2015-12-26)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Before upgrading make an image backup so you can revert if it goes pear shaped.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Roobrill (2015-12-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Before upgrading make an image backup so you can revert if it goes pear shaped.

cheers, Paul
    Pear shaped Huh ?? I've never heard that one. Cool......

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that a Sudoku program insisted on installing MSXML 4.x, Secunia then flagged it as end-of-life. You have to instal MSXML 6.x, and then, if it's still there, uninstall MSXML 4.x. That keeps Secunia happy.

As a principle, I prefer to minimise the numbers of programs that I set Secunia to ignore. It's a good tool, as long as you let it do its job.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

Roobrill (2015-12-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    I found that a Sudoku program insisted on installing MSXML 4.x, Secunia then flagged it as end-of-life. You have to instal MSXML 6.x, and then, if it's still there, uninstall MSXML 4.x. That keeps Secunia happy.

As a principle, I prefer to minimise the numbers of programs that I set Secunia to ignore. It's a good tool, as long as you let it do its job.

Thank you !! That answers that question !!! I'll install MSXML 6 and uninstall 4.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I spoke too soon. Sandboxie now refuses to work with Firefox and I.E., although it works with Windows Explorer and lots of other stuff. I went to the Sandboxie site; there is a big discussion over there whether it's caused by A/V programs, specifically Norton. I use Kaspersky internet Security and turning it off does not restore Sandboxie function.

This is only on my desktop. My laptop with Win8.1 works just fine.

By the way, as to the earlier discussion above, I told Secunia to ignore the MSXML 4.5 message and it immediately said that 4.5 was End Of Life. And I already have 6.5. But MSXML 2.x and 3.x are up to date. This computer was new December 2013. Geee.

I uninstalled Sandboxie and re-installed; no luck and restored to an earlier date ( about 4 days ); no luck. Any ideas what to do about Sandboxie?? Is there another good sandbox program ??
    Last edited by Roobrill; 2015-12-30 at 03:03.

Thanks
    Hi Loungers, I wouldn't trust Secunia too much as I'm still using:-

RR.png
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!