Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 Refresh without Media

Following through on Fred Langas article "Creating customized recovery images for Win8", I used recimg.exe to create a custom system image. No Problems.
    I wanted to follow through the Refresh process until the point of "pull the trigger" to make sure that the system worked OK.

As I want to be able to restore my computer to full function even when it fails to boot, I booted from a USB Win8 Recovery drive. When I got to choose Refresh I received the message, "Insert your Windows Installation or Recovery media to continue." No luck as I have an OEM installation with no installation disk provided.

SO, I went through the "Change PC Settings" route to see if it would work while Windows was still accessible. This time I received the message: INSERT MEDIA Some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files."

What does one do when no such media is provided?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The manufacturer provides a way to create recovery media, usually via software pre-installed on the PC.

If you just want an image of your current machine before update / upgrade, use one of the free 3rd party apps.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

rcull999 (2015-12-28)

Thanks
    After setting up a new OS, and then getting it all tweaked out just the way I want it, and with all my favorite programs installed, I make a Backup Image File, written to a bootable DVD. In case of a hard drive crash, that's my recovery, even if it has to be to a new Hard Disk.
    Making backup image files to an external HD, is also an option that I use on my own system.

Then I put that DVD away in a safe place, and I make a new one at regular intervals, so I have a backup of my current OS.

Having just a backup (restore) partition on your main hard drive is pretty worthless, when that drive crashes or goes up in smoke. It happens!

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The manufacturer provides a way to create recovery media, usually via software pre-installed on the PC.

If you just want an image of your current machine before update / upgrade, use one of the free 3rd party apps.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul. The machine is a customised computer shop configuration with Win8 pre-installed and no software to allow the creation of Win8 installation media. There might be a way of doing a 'factory reset' but that's not what I want.
    Also, I can use Macrium Reflect to create an image - I was just hoping that the inbuilt Windows system would work as simply as Fred seemed to think! It was almost unthinkable - perhaps it's just a pipe dream :-)

Regards
    Robin

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    After setting up a new OS, and then getting it all tweaked out just the way I want it, and with all my favorite programs installed, I make a Backup Image File, written to a bootable DVD. Making backup image files to an external HD, is also an option that I use on my own system.

...I make a new one at regular intervals, so I have a backup of my current OS.

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Thanks Doc, my normal procedure exactly. And I wrote the CustomRefresh.wim to a second internal hard drive. Just sad that the much hyped Win8 process won't do it for me -

Regards
    Robin
    Last edited by rcull999; 2015-12-28 at 02:13.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may be able to create the Win 8.1 install media from this article https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

rcull999 (2015-12-30)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You may be able to create the Win 8.1 install media from this article https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html
    Thanks Sudo. I'll need to find time to digest that article, but I'll follow it through.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OP said that The machine is a customised computer shop configuration so this will not help him at all.

But for others, you may be able to request installation disks from the manufacturer of the system.

For example, Dell does that.
    http://www.dell.com/support/Article/...#Request_Media

I did NOT get installation disks from Dell for my Dell 8700 SE Desktop & it was on my list to request them from Dell.

But, I never got around to doing that because of a catastrophic failure of the 8700 SE, Dell had to replace it with my current Dell Precision Tower 5810. That system DID come with all of the installation disks.
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2015-12-30 at 17:19.

jwoods
    If there is a recovery partition on the hard drive, you can use it to create recovery media for refresh and resets...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...recovery-drive

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    OP said that The machine is a customised computer shop configuration so this will not help him at all.
    Which post is this in response to ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Which post is this in response to ?
    Post #4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks - It probably was a retail install so there won't be a recovery partition.

jwoods
    Thanks - It probably was a retail install so there won't be a recovery partition.
    Easy way to find out is to open Disk Management.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Easy way to find out is to open Disk Management.
    Going back to the opening post, it was an OEM install so there could be a recovery partition, but he doesn't want to factory reset.

jwoods
    The OP can do a refresh after following the tutorial in post #9 to create recovery media from the recovery partition.