Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Randomly losing WiFi connection

Hi, I am finding that my Win 10 installation sporadically loses the WiFi connection. There are several variants on this problem doing the rounds but I canít find any with the exact same symptoms and none of the proposed fixes work.

I am running Win 10 on a Lenovo Z70, clean install.

Rebooting does not help. I have deleted and rebuilt the TCP stack to no effect. For a while I thought that the problem followed Windows update but it doesnít. I canít really correlate the timing of the problem with anything. It appears to be random. It happens about maybe 4 Ė 5 times a week.
    My current workaround is to run System File Checker. This fixes the problem every time but it is far from convenient.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Event Viewer may have something recorded for the disconnects, but the next time it happens and a sfc /scannow fixes it, can you then enter this command and post its output to see what it is fixing -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop \sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the Desktop when doubled clicked will open the CBS log in Notepad.

jwoods
    It could be that a lot of people in your area are using the same channel (the default on many routers is 6).

Try changing to another channel and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    ...I can’t really correlate the timing of the problem with anything. It appears to be random. It happens about maybe 4 – 5 times a week...
    I have seen that problem quite a few times. Usually fixed by disabling power management for the adapter.

Go to Device Manager, open the properties dialog for the wireless adapter, un-tick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then "OK":

WLAN_PWR.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

STEWBALL (2016-01-24)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I'm new here! I like @coochin suggestion. I have also seen that.
    Also what do you show in adapter settings!Capture48.JPG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo, I have had a look at this log (a few days after the last instance of the problem) and I can't decipher it. I will post it here, fresh, if the problem recurs. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods, using the WiFi analyzer on my phone I can see that I am away out on my lonesome on channel 11. But I will keep this under review. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Coochin, Okay, I have made exactly the changes you describe and i am feeling lucky! I'll just have to wait now and see what happens. Thanks.

I will give it about a week and report back. In the mean time, thanks everyone.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! Good luck! I hope that fixes your problem. I wasn't that lucky and I had to buy a new wi-fi router when mine kept dropping me. I hooked my PC up with ethernet cable and it stayed on line, so that proved that the wi-fi was bad. 180$, those babies are high dollar.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One setting in a router that can disrupt WiFi is when the wireless channel setting is set to Auto rather than a specific channel, but in Mark's case, a sfc /scannow wouldn't fix that or the Power Management.

There was a Win 10 update that was turning off the WLAN AutoConfig service but that was rectified with a later update - that's why I would be interested to see what sfc was fixing.

@ markf - did you check Event Viewer to see if anything is recorded with a date and time stamp of around the time of the disconnects ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo, well I might have been feeling lucky but no fix.
    This morning my wife powered on the machine and no wifi. An update had been downloaded but not installed (I.E. Flash Player for Win 10 ver 1511 for x64 based systems KB 3132372) Event Viewer was showing an error for every log (not precise but something like error - no log available). Worrying in it's self.

I ran SFC as usual and the CBS log is attached. If you can have a look at it I would be very grateful. Nothing jumps out at me but that is probably lack of knowledge on my part.

For what it's worth, the update installed it's self while the sfc scan was under way.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It may have been sfc sorting out those Packages that enabled the updates to install as they can affect updates and may have been responsible for producing a CBS log as such, but is that what the findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt command produced - I've never seen a CBS repair log produced by sfc like that before.

Did the sfc report it was repairing files again ?

Open a Command prompt (Admin) and see what these cmds produce -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

shutdown /r /t 00

See if you have WiFi after the reboot.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-12-30 at 08:32.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! Does anyone here think the Reliability Monitor might give a clue? I also had that problem and it turned out to be my wireless router. Can you get Wi-Fi back if you click on disable and then enable? That worked for me!Capture48.JPG
    Last edited by holdum333; 2015-12-30 at 12:50.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You are quite correct, it is not an sfc report. Sorry about that. Correct file now attached. I won't tell you how that happened except to say it was grossly stupid.

I am not sure that this file will show anything. On this occasion I ran SFC and nothing happened. That is to say WiFi stayed down. I ran SFC a second time and my WiFi was up again within a few seconds of starting it.

Of the commands you suggest; first one reported operation completed successfully . The second one said restore operation completed successfully. I am going to run the last one now.

@holdum333 I might come back to look at the router but at the moment I have a Win 7 machine, an XP box, a tablet and various phones all running off it quite happily. When this thing happens I can't make any changes to network settings on the affected box.

OK, on reboot after running shutdown /r /t 00 , WiFi was down. I ran sfc again.The log is saved here as sfcdetails2.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by markf; 2015-12-30 at 17:38. Reason: Time lapse

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi mark! You could possible have a adapter card going south. Routers do go bad also, but if other devices are running OK, then pretty much rule that out. I just saw that problem before. I used the device manager to up date the network adapter and haven't seen any more problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast