Thanks

Microsoft Script Editor - Replacing it in Word 2010

In Word 2003, I used the Microsoft Script Editor to get the HTML code from documents Saved As Web Page, Filtered. For a specific task of mine, I'd make some minor edits to the HTML, then paste it into my web site authoring program.

The Script Editor isn't available in Word 2010. What can I use to replace it?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Have a look at Adobe Brackets. It's a lightweight web editor that's free, open-source and supported by Adobe. It's up to v1.5 now. I used an earlier version and found it was quite effective.

Alternatively, you could always use an enhanced text editor like Notepad++, but this isn't quite as versatile for web pages.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-12-26 at 12:36.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2015-12-27),Lou Sander (2015-12-26)

Thanks
    I've downloaded Notepad++, and it does everything I need. Basically, that is to convert something saved in Word's Web Page, Filtered format (file extension .HTM) into its HTML equivalent. I paste that stuff into my web site program, then I upload it to the web. When I browse my web page, I see the results of the HTML.

Question: Is there a way to make Word's .HTM format documents automatically open in Notepad++ when I double click them? (With Word 2003 I used to get the Microsoft Script Editor by ALT+Shift+F11).

Right now, my Default Programs/Set Associations for extension HTM is set to Google Chrome. That's what I want for web pages, of course, but I'm unsure what effect changing the Association will have.

If it makes the Word .HTM documents open in Notepad++, without messing up my browsing in Chrome, that's what I want.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Have a look at Changing the program that opens a type of file. This will help you change the default file opener for HTM files to Notepad++. You'll still be able to open them in Chrome by right-clicking on HTM files and choosing Chrome using the the Open with option.

By the way, in Notepad++, have a look at the Preview HTML plugin. (In Notepad++'s menu, choose Plugins then Plugin Manager. This will give you a small browser viewer window within Notepad++ that may be all you need to check your web page. (Ignore the warning that the plugin DLL can't be verified.)

Note also, if you use FTP to upload your finished HTML web pages that Notepad++ has FTP capabilities built-in - check out the NppFTP plugin.

Hope this helps...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2015-12-27)

Thanks
    Wow! Quite a few capabilities for a little free program.

I think I'm all set now. Thanks for the help.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA