New Lounger
    Thanks

Resolution reverts to native and sometimes won't display previously-available higher choices

Hello people, I'm having some trouble with a new monitor I got as a gift. I've recently started joining forums like this one to hopefully find a solution. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for taking the time.

Some details, my pc has 64-bit Win7 Ultimate OS and Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti. The monitor has a native resolution of 1366x768. My preferred resolution is 1680x1050, and the highest available is 1920x1080.

Now here's the problem, since I started using this new monitor, when I shut down my pc, it has a tendency to revert back to its native resolution once I use it again, and the resolutions higher than native aren't in the choices anymore. I allow my Windows Update to automatically download and install stuff, so I think I'm mostly up to date.

Here's what I noticed, on the screen resolution menu, the Display usually says LED39C800F - this is when the higher resolutions disappear from the list. But sometimes it becomes "Display device on:VGA" - and the higher resolution choices become available again (IDK what factors change it, it just happens, sometimes even when the pc is already on, so I know the monitor is actually capable of displaying those higher resolutions).

I've tried manually selecting different drivers for the monitor, I think I've tried just about every driver under the (standard monitor types) because the manufacturer of my monitor isn't on the list (the model of the monitor according to the manual is LE24B8000), the automatic search installs the Generic PnP monitor driver by default. Could it be because I'm still using my 7yr-old VGA cable? The new monitor has both HDMI1 and HDMI2 terminals, should I get one? I'm at my wit's end already.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    S.F.

Welcome to the Lounge as a New Poster!

It is my understanding that the "native" resolution of a monitor and it's Maximum resolution are one and the same. I surely don't know a way to make a physical device display more pixels than it has. Going to lower resolution just combines pixels so that is understandable. YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Monitors do not have drivers for the most part. Unless you have some high end specialty or touch screen type. They do have info files that tell the GPU cards what its capabilities are. I would fine the appropriate one from the manufacturers site and 'install' it. If that fails Nvidia likely has a special tool to COMPLETELY uninstall its s/w. D/L the newest appropriate video s/w and then use the uninstall s/w. Reinstall and aply monitor inf file.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

jwoods
    Check that you have the latest drivers for the GeForce GTX 750Ti.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Force View Post
    Could it be because I'm still using my 7yr-old VGA cable? The new monitor has both HDMI1 and HDMI2 terminals, should I get one? I'm at my wit's end already.
    It sounds like a monitor driver issue to me; or maybe the monitor itself is bad; or maybe the VGA cable is defective. If I had an extra VGA cable or HDMI cable, I would try the other cable. If that didn't do it, I would look in Device Manager to see if there is a yellow triangle next to any of the monitor drivers. If so, uninstall the device with the yellow triangle, then right click on the very first (highest) item in the tree and tell it to search for new hardware.

If that doesn't fix it, then I would call the monitor manufacturer.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-12-28 at 14:13. Reason: Added the part about the VGA cable maybe being defective

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Force View Post
    .... The monitor has a native resolution of 1366x768. My preferred resolution is 1680x1050, and the highest available is 1920x1080.
    If that is the resolution then that is the resolution (pixels on the screen). That is how an LED/LCD works. Setting it higher mechanically does no good and can muck things up. If you want higher resolutions then buy higher resolution monitor. The 750Ti is capable of 4096x2160 resolutions though juggling that many pixels can require a fair amount of video RAM.
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

As an aside a VGA (d-sub) cable (a 29 year old standard!) is pretty iffy around the native resolution of your monitor. An HDMI cable may very well result in a better image.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-12-28 at 11:12.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Or maybe a DVI cable if the computer and monitor have the port. I haven't tested whether a VGA-to-DVI or DVI-to-VGA [computer to monitor] adapter makes a difference but myself and my usual clients aren't gamers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First, thank you to all who replied and took the time to worry about my problem. The vga cable was the problem, it's solved now after I replaced it with an HDMI cable. Cheers to the holidays, people!