Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reset W10

Banned Member
    Thanks

Reset W10

Hi Have a dumb question.
    If I use the reset feature in W10, will I lose all my apps. I have Googled this but get confusing answers. It says data and settings will be saved. Do I have to reinstall all my programs?
    Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-12-29)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2015-12-27)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! There's a lot there for this old man to absorb. I haven't heard of refresh. That sounds like a good feature to have available. I kind a thought I might lose all my apps on a reset. That's a bummer. I do create a back up image with the Windows feature and also with Macrium Reflect regularly . If I understand the refresh feature right, that would save all my apps and reinstall them, much like the back ups . That would save a lot of work and would give me another way to recover from a disaster. I'm going to study this refresh feature and see if I can get that done.
    Good stuff friend! Thank you! You are appreciated. I may be back with more questions latter!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! I have the installation media on a flash drive. I understand how to boot from it and have checked it out. This is what I used to do clean install. I also have a flash with the rescue media.
    Here's the link I'm having problems with. Sorry for being a hard head. This is the way I learn!Capture48.JPG
    Capture49.JPG
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Image based backup and recovery is still the best option;
    PROS:
    *Restores everything the way you had it at the time of imaging.
    CONS:
    *It's a learning curve for the uninitiated.
    *Takes forever if you're a data slob.
    *Few seldom ever think about imaging until it's too late, let alone go out of their way to
    FULLY test an image based backup by restoring one in a leisurely setting.
    *You can image a system with a problem and not know it right away.

The refresh will remove all your desktop applications.
    Everything in the "C:\Users\(user-name)" folders will remain. (Where your settings are at)
    Also ensure that you have created an admin password protected account
    because the refresh will likely ask for one at some point during the process.

Backing-up your data (Music, applications, video, spreadsheets, even drivers, etc.) independently
    will give you that added layer of protection & convenience in the event of total loss.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2015-12-27)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks CLiNT. I have a pretty fair knowledge of Macrium Reflect. I always verify the image before installing it.
    Macrium has severed me well in the past. I have used it once on W10 and it worked flawlessly.
    I found Macrium to be very user friendly and very easy to use. The refresh sounds like almost a back to factory to me! I'm really not worried about restoring W10, but I like to have all my bases covered.
    Thanks for your reply! I have another reply waiting to be reviewed by staff.
    Wondering how long before my post is approved by staff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    I have another reply waiting to be reviewed by staff.
    Wondering how long before my post is approved by staff.
    The forum software doesn't make it obvious enough that posts are under moderation, we approve them as soon as we notice (providing they're suitable!). Your posts should all show now, except for any dupes. Once you have enough posts there'll be almost zero chance of auto-moderation happening.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2015-12-27)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi satrow! Thank you! I understand the reasoning be-hide moderating the posts. It cuts down on spammers and trouble makers. I can assure you that I'm not one of those and I'll wait patently until I have proven myself.
    Thank you for your explanation. I plan to follow all the forum rules. If I break any, please inform me and I'll try hard not to repeat the rules!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Do I need to create this also or will Macrium do the same thing and be better. I'm trying to learn W10. I pretty much knew how to restore W7, but W10 seems a little different. I used Macrium to roll back to W7 after doing a clean install of W10 and then used Macrium to restore back to W10.
    I love my Macrium Reflect. I'm now running W10 on my laptop and I really like it a lot.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Do I need to do this also??
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Have a dumb question.
    If I use the reset feature in W10, will I lose all my apps. I have Googled this but get confusing answers. It says data and settings will be saved. Do I have to reinstall all my programs?
    Thanks!
    Download the media creation tool from MS. When you start "Setup" make sure to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. This will give you the option to do an in place re-install of Windows 10 and keep all your personal apps and settings.

Hopefully this will get your W10 back on track.

A very few settings may change, but nothing major.

Don in Austin

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! I have hit a stump. I think I followed the everything in this link http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html. There is a file in my external (E) USB named ResetRecoveryImage. How do I use it. I can't open it or do anything with it. It's a WIM file??
    Sorry for being a hard head.Capture48.JPGCapture49.JPG
    Last edited by holdum333; 2015-12-27 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Hi Have a dumb question.
    Thanks!
    When I done a Refresh on WIN 10 I was able to reinstall my apps with out a problem but one thing that is worth noting was the information I had stored in Trend Micro Vault(passwords etc) was lost when I reinstalled it. I had it all backed up so that was OK. I found the WIN 10 Refresh wiped a lot more then a WIN 8.1 Refresh.

jwoods
    There is a file in my external (E) USB named ResetRecoveryImage. How do I use it. I can't open it or do anything with it. It's a WIM file??
    Correct...install.wim should be in the ResetRecoveryImage folder.

Now you need to proceed to steps 5 and 6 to complete the process...

5. Open an elevated command prompt.

6. In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

reagentc /setosimage /path "location\ResetRecoveryImage" /index 1

Note
    Substitute location in the command above with the full path of where you created the ResetRecoveryImage folder at in step 1 above.

For example:

reagentc /setosimage /path "F:\ResetRecoveryImage" /index 1

This is how to open an elevated Command Prompt for step 5...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

For step 6, your ResetRecoveryImage folder is on the E: drive, so your command should look like this...

reagentc /setosimage /path "E:\ResetRecoveryImage" /index 1

That's it.

When you're asked for media to do a reset, plug it in and Windows 10 will do the rest.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! First of all it's a real pleasure working with you! I feel like I'm learning a lot and that's why I'm here on this forum.
    I done every thing just like you suggested in your reply. This is the results. I now have a new drive called DVD Drive (F). If I click on it, it opens a folder with reset on it. If I click on reset, it appears to be resetting W10. I'm sorry but my PC language leaves a lot to be desired. I also have a flash with W10 on it that will do the same thing.
    It seems to me I have created a way to reset W10 without plugging in any media??
    What do you think my friend?
    I'm attaching some jpeg's hoping this explains what I've done.!Capture38.JPG
    Capture39.JPG
    Capture50.JPG
    I'm always trying to learn new things. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you my friend!!

jwoods
    Looks like you have the Reset media on drive E:, and the Windows 10 installation media ISO on drive F:

You can use either one to do a reset or refresh.

I like having the ISO to do what is called a repair using an "in-place upgrade".

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

With that, you won't lose anything.

But as Clint mentioned above in post #5, doing (frequent) disk images can save you a lot of grief down the road.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-28 at 00:21. Reason: Added in-place upgrade tutorial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast