Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flickr

Thanks

Flickr

Not sure if this is the right forum, please correct.
    I was at my families xmass party and instructed to 'take lots of pics'. I did. I spent a goodly amount of time rotating my photos (ok phone camera ) in ACDsee. I spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out Flickr (worst gui I have ever encountered) and got my photos on line. When I took a look at the album photos were all topsyturvy. Is there a bit that sets the upright position that flickr knows that a old version of ACDsee does not. The windows PhotoViewer seems to display as I set. My hair is thin enough already do not need to be pulling any more out!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Have a look at IrfanView: http://www.irfanview.com/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    If you are using 'JIF' files look into the EXIF information embedded as most cameras have a setting here for 'orientation' some viewers use this others do not. Some allow you to control if they use it, others do not. IrfanView: http://www.irfanview.com/ does allow you to control if it is used or not.

Problem is if you used a software package to rotate an image but it did not set this parameter properly it just may get confusing.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-12-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Thanks Coochin
    I have been meaning to look into that, probably dl it several times.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    If you are using 'JIF' files look into the EXIF information embedded as most cameras have a setting here for 'orientation' some viewers use this others do not. Some allow you to control if they use it, others do not. IrfanView: http://www.irfanview.com/ does allow you to control if it is used or not.

Problem is if you used a software package to rotate an image but it did not set this parameter properly it just may get confusing.
    The files are JPEG, there is info available in file properties. There is a long string of #s under 'maker note'. My ACDsee is a bit long in the tooth, maybe time for Irfanview.
    David

Thanks
    ExifTool and Exiftoolgui are very good for looking at all the EXIF/XMP/IPTC values and it's also easy to change , delete or add them as well. Not sure if Irfanview lets you do that so easily.

Exiftool is the line command version, the gui is precisely what it says, it's a front end to the line command version.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Coochin
    I am checking out IrfanView and testing out options got rid of the menu bar and I see now way to get it back. Any ideas/

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    ExifTool and Exiftoolgui are very good for looking at all the EXIF/XMP/IPTC values and it's also easy to change , delete or add them as well. Not sure if Irfanview lets you do that so easily.

Exiftool is the line command version, the gui is precisely what it says, it's a front end to the line command version.
    access
    Thanks
    I will check it out.
    David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post

That does not seem to be working in this instance, I will investigate.
    David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    ...I am checking out IrfanView and testing out options got rid of the menu bar and I see now way to get it back. Any ideas...
    I have been using IrfanView since about 2000 and cannot recall ever losing the menu bar (but have accidentally turned off the toolbar a few times).

Maybe try uninstalling then reinstalling IrfanView?
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Coochin
    I am checking out IrfanView and testing out options got rid of the menu bar and I see now way to get it back. Any ideas/

Have you tried alt+shift+m - that's the string for showing and hiding the menu bar?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Coochin (2016-01-05),wavy (2016-01-11)

Thanks
    @ access-mdb

Good one; I just tried that and it works to show/hide IrfanView's menu bar.

Thanks
    Let's hope it's as simple as that for David!

Thanks
    Even simpler, I just started and it seems it was not a 'lasting ' mod
    Thanks for the help. I have not got around to fully exploring IrfanView. Darn I just realized the image based recovery of my spare xp/w7 computer left me w/o recently installed dup finder that was recommended in another thread I will have to find. I tried for several days to resurrect them but some thing screwed up files on 2 separate HDD making 2 partitions unreadable on one drive with the middle one fine. Go figure! Thank goodness for MR and images!
    David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When rotating a jpeg, a compression file format, it will usually impart a loss (fidelity) due to lossy re-compression. Most programs will have some loss after rotation.
    The below free portable program (no install) is lossless on rotation.
    Don't expect it 'better' than the original. It is just lossless on rotation.
    Google then go to owner's site for the free download
    FreeVimager-5.0.5-Portable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast