Banned Member
    Thanks

Has anyone had problems with Refresh/Reset?

Hi! my question is. Has anyone had a problem with Refresh/Reset?? Also why can't MS have a feature like 3rd party programs; like Macrium Reflect, that allow you to restore your OS back just like it was the day you created the image. I haven't tried the Refresh/Reset features.
    I have been tempted, but haven't done it yet. I have heard a lot of night mares about them. I personally prefer a 3rd party program to back up my OS.
    Has anyone here on the forum tried either a Refresh or a Reset? Did you have a good experience? My understanding is that you have to reinstall all your programs if you use either one. That's not my idea of a way to solve a problem. I have a lot of programs and I don't want to spend my time reinstalling them when I can create a back up image with macrium and be back running just like the day I created the image.
    Thanks for your replies. This is the way I learn and pass it forward!

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Has anyone here on the forum tried either a Refresh or a Reset? My understanding is that you have to reinstall all your programs if you use either one.
    The tutorials on Reset and Refresh in post #2 in your other thread explains the differences...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...3650-Reset-W10

They are used for different purposes.

You can create and restore disk images with Windows 10...

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-ma...kup-windows-pc

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! Thank you. I now understand the differences between Refresh and Reset. My question is has anyone used them and had success. I guess I could try them, but I haven't yet. I have always used Macrium Reflect to bail me out of trouble. I also create a image of W10 on a regular basis with the Windows back up feature. I haven't tried that to see if it would restore my OS. I like to have several ways to get my PC back up and running. As stated Macrium is my favorite, but having other ways doesn't hurt. The file history looks good and I do that also. I guess I need to try some of these recovery things and see how they work. I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with them. I have read bad things about them causing repair loops and other unwanted problems. I really don't have that worry as I can always use a image to get me back.
    Thank you for your reply. You are appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I used refresh once on one PC that someone had trashed to the point where it would not boot to the desktop. I worked just fine. I was able to get the machine running again pretty easily.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Joe! I just created a image with the windows image feature. I booted with my repair CD and took it all the way to just before the image was installed and then cancelled. I can only hope it would have restored my OS. Next time I have a problem, I'll take it all the way, but my first choice is always Macrium. Macrium has never let me down. If this image feature works, then there is no excuse to back up your PC.
    Why do people wait until they have a problem. My advice to anyone reading this thread. BACK IT UP NOW!!
    I'm glad to hear the Reset worked for you Joe. I prefer the image restore. I hate reinstalling all my programs!
    I'm thinking once MS gets the bugs out, this will be their best OS ever. I have no gripes and I'm learning new things about it every day.
    Happy Puttering!