2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot install Win10 from 8.1

I upgraded my Win8.1 to Win10 and had no problems for a couple of weeks. Then problems developed and got worse as I tried to resolve them. My Win10 images refused to load, so I used my USB Win10 repair tool to reinstall Win10 to bare metal. Then I restored an image of my prior version (Win8.1 Pro x64). It is running properly at present. Today I tried to use the MS upgrade tool to reinstall Win10, but it reported "This tool cannot upgrade your PC. The language or edition of the version of Windows installed on your PC isn't supported by this tool." Hours and many attempts later, I have verified that my 8.1 updates were done and made attempts to install Win10, but all failed. I spent over an hour trying to boot to safe mode to try the installation from there, but all attempts failed (after following the steps I found on various web sites). I have fast boot turned off.

My guess is that I could return to Win10 with another bare metal install, but I really want to avoid nuking all of my installed programs. The upgrade worked the first time and did not harm my installed programs. Is there any way to do this again?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! This is always the advice I give. It has never let me down.
    Create a backup image with a 3rd party program. I have been using Macrium Reflect for years and it has never let me down. Macrium has saved me many times. Once you get your image made, you could try the media creation tool again and see if it up grades and saves your programs. I have images of W10 and W7 and I have been able to restore back and forth and I have had no problems. Do you think that fast boot might have been your problem?
    Some times computers can cause you to want to take a hammer to them. It seems you are able to return to W8.1 so you can try some different things to get W10 back with all your programs.
    Hope I have helped a little. I have had only a few minor bugs and I'm pleased with W10 so far!
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Last edited by holdum333; 2015-12-29 at 11:27.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you done a manual check for updates to see if the Win 10 update is offered ?

It may be that you will have to wait until January's updates for it to appear again, but is this the Upgrade now button that failed for you -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...ows-10-upgrade

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The restore issue was frustrating. I had saved an image of Win10, using the MS imaging software; had a few 8.0 & 8.1 images using Macrium; and had weekly images using True Image. The MS image would not work and most of the True Images would not work either, especially the only Win10 one that would even load. Finally, one of the True Images (8.1) worked. I am now going to give first priority to Macrium and Backupper. I don't recall ever having Macrium fail to work.

I don't know if fast boot was a problem or not, but it is now off. My plan is to use Task Manager to close everything that is not necessary, then try the upgrade again.

Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Hi! This is always the advice I give. It has never let me down.
    Create a backup image with a 3rd party program. I have been using Macrium Reflect for years and it has never let me down. Macrium has saved me many times. Once you get your image made, you could try the media creation tool again and see if it up grades and saves your programs. I have images of W10 and W7 and I have been able to restore back and forth and I have had no problems. Do you think that fast boot might have been your problem?
    Some times computers can cause you to want to take a hammer to them. It seems you are able to return to W8.1 so you can try some different things to get W10 back with all your programs.
    Hope I have helped a little. I have had only a few minor bugs and I'm pleased with W10 so far!
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did updates manually (it is set for automatic) and got new updates twice. I assume I have everything, but will do another manual check before trying to install Win10 again.

Thanks to you and holdum for your good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you done a manual check for updates to see if the Win 10 update is offered ?

It may be that you will have to wait until January's updates for it to appear again, but is this the Upgrade now button that failed for you -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...ows-10-upgrade

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You are very welcome! Good luck. I know you will get it done! I just made a image of my OS with the windows image feature. I put in my repair CD and took it all the way to where it was ready to restore and then I cancelled out. I can only hope it would have gone ahead and restored my OS. Here's how I use the Windows image feature. Sense it wants to over write the old images, I make sure I'm virus free and every thing is running to my satisfaction and then I create the image manually. I'm a macrium man myself. Macrium has never let me down and I have used it often. I use the File History to back up my data. It seems to work well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2015-12-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. It finally installed for me. I am writing this from Win10. I think the thing that made it work was using task manager to shutdown the non-system apps. Needless to say, I have spent the last couple of hours going through all of the settings and default apps.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Bob! Good on you! You didn't say if you had to reinstall your programs!
    Be sure you back up with Macrium good Buddie; after you get every thing like you want it!
    Last edited by holdum333; 2015-12-29 at 18:27.